Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Shatter Map posted:

The scene in American Beauty where Kevin Spacey slams the asparagus plate against the wall. Does anyone else like to point out/marvel at how he managed to perfectly stick a lemon slice above the picture frame? I bet he couldn't have done that again if he tried 100 more times.

Sorry I couldn't find a screen cap :(

I think they talk about it for a while on the commentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

FitFortDanga posted:

I watched a few minutes of The Decameron once and it looked quite retarded.

It starts out rough, but it gets better. It's better than any of the entries to the Decamerotica genre it spawned.

Toebone posted:

Lots of films reference the oranges=death motif from the Godfather movies. Did the Godfather movies make it up, or did oranges have this sort of significance prior to the films, in some cultures?

It's all an accident. Dean Tavoularis just put oranges in some scenes because he wanted some color in the scenes.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Darthbane2007 posted:

I know this might be a general question, but how does a director decide which scenes to film first?

He doesn't, the line producer does. Usually it's by which location is available first or which actor do they need to shoot out first.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

morestuff posted:

I saw the "milkshake" analogy more as a general "hah, I was pretty much stealing his oil, gently caress you" than as a detailed logistical explanation for how it happened. But, yeah, it wasn't entirely clear.

The milkshake line comes from congressional testimony in the Teapot Dome scandal. P.T. loved the line, but thinks it's a horrible way of explaining things.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Encryptic posted:

I'm in the middle of watching Unforgiven and I was thinking - what are some other "must-see" Westerns out there? I've seen a number of the well-known ones and enjoyed them (Tombstone, Dances With Wolves, Leone's Man With No Name trilogy, The Magnificent Seven, etc.) but I know there's others out there that are well-regarded.

You've got a good list going, I just want to add that the Italians did Westerns better than the Americans. So you might wanna check out Death Rides a Horse, too. (and big ups on Django, it's hugely important)

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

bows1 posted:

Does anyone know of any movies, or scenes that are shot in first person?

There's a pretty good segment in Doom.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Women's Rights? posted:

In City of the Living Dead, the actress who pukes up her own intestines had to swallow warm sheep intestines and then vomit them back up. It makes the scene way more disgusting if you know this ahead of time :)

I have a question about There Will Be Blood. Why does Daniel kill Eli? I get the back and forth between them, the taking revenge in public whenever they've denied one another what they've wanted, but the actual bludgeoning seems to come out of nowhere. He's already humiliated Eli, mocked him about taking the oil from the Bandy tract, went on about how wonderful his brother is doing...so why does he kill him? I like that movie but I fear I may be too dumb for it :shobon:.

I took it as Daniel being given one last chance of leading a good life, of being saved, and him just bluntly and utterly turning it down.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

tickle monster posted:

I swear we used to have a recommendation thread, but I couldn't find it. I've been on a stylized sci-fi fantasy film kick, and every place I've searched has told me to just rewatch Star Wars. Can someone recommend me a sciifi film like Barbarella, Forbidden Planet, or Flash Gordon? As long as the visual style holds and it's watchable, quality doesn't really matter.

Star Crash - it's the finest of the $30,000 Italian Star Wars rip-offs.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Crowetron posted:

While I'm asking questions, whatever happened to the Halo movie? Was there some specific reason it got canned, or did someone along the line just realize that video game movies suck and nixed the project?

It came to a point where one of the two parties involved, Microsoft and the production company, had to pay the other something like $5-10M as part of keeping the process going. For some reason I want to say that it was MS who was reluctant, but basically one of the parties involved just looked at it and decided it wasn't worth it to keep going with it.

Basically somebody had a moment of clarity when I came down to putting money on the line.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Crowetron posted:

So, purely a money thing, huh? Too bad, I was hoping it was the first step towards a universal ban of video game movies.

You can make your arguments that when it looks like one of the best-selling game franchises in memory begins to look like a bad investment, that it should start ushering out the game movies...

... But Hitman 2 just got greenlit.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

You're crazy. Halo by Blomkamp and Jackson could have been epic. Hopefully if District 9 is a success it will put the project back on the table.

Problem is Blomkamp in his shorts has shown amazing prowess for effects, but doesn't tell a story in any of them.

I doubt District 9 will be a success.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

Doesn't mean he isn't capable of doing so. Admittedly I don't know much about District 9 so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

That's kinda like saying that because a Quarterback has been unable to throw a pass that he isn't capable of doing so.

Short film is where you both learn and showcase your storytelling skills as a filmmaker. They may be pretty films, but they should get him hired as SFX supervisor, as that's what they showcase. If I was a major studio, hell if I was anybody putting fifty bucks into a film, with his track record I'd be wary.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

timeandtide posted:

I have just stared at this photo for a few minutes, looking at your name and your avatar and the photo, just staring and staring and staring away--hoping, begging, pleading for some sense to it all. To the mystery of life.

No, I cannot answer you first question, but for the second I would say "because Tim Burton is high as gently caress right now."

A pig. Jesus, a pig.

I must sleep now.

I must sleep.

A pig.

LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! I'M TIM BURTON AND I'M SO GOD drat WEIRD AND CRAZY! IT'S GOTTA MEAN SOMETHING RIGHT! LOOK INTO MY ENIGMATIC WORLD! IT'S SO BIZARRE AND CRAZY! IT'S LIKE NOTHING YOU'VE EVER SEEN! LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT ME! I'M TIM BURTON!

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

The Cameo posted:

Why don't you love me daddy :smith:

Because you haven't made a good flick in a decade.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

OK FOLKS posted:

This a movie production question:

In The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus (don't worry, no spoilers), all of the scenes Heath Ledger is in take place in the real world. His contemporaries who stepped in to play his character after he died all have parts in the fantasy world of the Imaginarium, which is almost completely done in CGI. My question is, when shooting a movie, don't the scenes with a lot of CGI get filmed first, so they can be completed while other shooting is done? Why would they have done it like that? It just seems weird that they filmed it in that order.

Also, regarding Heather Ledger's death during filming, is there some kind of insurance in place should an actor die? Like if they knew he was a pill-popping train wreck, could they protect against it ahead of time? Just wondering how common that is.

IIRC the having everybody "step in" for Heath was the plan for the film long before Ledger's death. It was only retconned to be the show of solidarity once they could get more publicity for the film.

SaintFu posted:

If that sort of insurance were available, nobody would write a policy for a Terry Gilliam movie.

Like haveblue said, the completion bond is pretty much the insurance. The bond company is the one that wound up with the footage for his Don Quixote movie in Lost in La Mancha.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Jay Dub posted:

I'm curious... Why would MTV, of all people, report this? None of their audience gives two shits about the Coen bros. or a sequel to Barton Fink, as made apparent by the zero comments made in the past five months.

Or does the MTV website operate completely independent of the actual TV network?

They talked to them at an event (TIFF) and just reported what they said. It's not that difficult.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

The Remote Viewer posted:

What's the deal with 35mm prints? Are they owned by the studio or something because the only movies I can find for sale online are ones I've never heard of from 40 years ago.

eBay used to have a few, at least...

They're owned by the studios. You can find a few that have slipped through the cracks because their parent company has gone out of business or whatnot.

Ebay is a terrible place to look for them. Until recently you couldn't sell or buy them there. Most collectors of 35mm aren't that computer literate anyways.

And even if you did have your own print, you can't show it at a theater because of copyright.

If you're getting into print collecting, get into 16mm, it's for "home viewing" so you can buy/sell all you want, and there's much more resources out there.

And it's :cool:

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

The Remote Viewer posted:

I'm reading an introductory textbook on film and it happened to mention directors only get 2-3 minutes of usable footage per day. How can that be true, considering everyone works 12-18 hour days?

I don't think they mean usable footage, I think they mean they get 2-3 minutes of screentime. It's because setting up takes a long time and then you have to shoot the same scene from a lot of angles to be able to edit, and then you're having to set up each time.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

WebDog posted:

Y.M.M.V of course; to use David Letterman's joke

Since when is an indie shooting before 9? (Unless we went all night.)

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Penpal posted:

Also, a general movie question: Have any really good DP's gone on to direct really good films?

Nicholas Roeg springs to mind.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Binowru posted:

Why the hell is Armageddon in the Criterion Collection?

Because that's them covering the Hollywood Blockbuster genre

and the money they make from it covers the losses of the other DVDs

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Also, what the gently caress MGM not having any money so it stops its cash cow Bond films? It doesn't make any sense.

I don't think you understand what dire straights MGM is in. If you go to MGM and walk in the front door there's no longer a receptionist. There's just a phone so you can call whoever you're meeting with so they can come down and get you.

As for a Bond film... They've had to shut down even that because even if it is the most successful Bond film of all time the profits made would only cover one month's interest on what they owe.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, what I heard sounded a lot less dire than that. How I heard made it sound like stop buying a bus pass to save money, but now you can't get to work. I'm probably safe in assuming MGM's problems are runaway production costs, lack of successful movies and general financial mismanagement?

Not quite. Basically MGM went on a huge buying spree buying up back catalogs of movies. They leveraged this against future DVD sales, and for a while everything was fine. Then DVD sales completely fell out and now, things are tough.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

It's funny that Clifford and Mannequin 2 helped bring down the studio that made 2001: A Space Odyssey and Ben-Hur.

Their lobby is filled with all these Oscars from classic movies, but only up until a certain point. It's kinda heartbreaking. You can tell when a new regime came in.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

Edit: I just realized how many bad movies Clint Mansell has worked on. Doom? Really?

Bad movies cheques clear.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

cheerfullydrab posted:

Is the analysis in that Youtube video the kind of stuff you learn to do in "film school"?

depends on the school. I didn't.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

The Mr. Bean movie sequel was an unabashed calling out of Vincent Gallo and The Brown Bunny.

The politics and commentary of the Mr. Bean movies is bizarre to say the least.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

kapalama posted:

Are you being serious?

BTW is the Brown Bunny worth seeing?

100% serious. And it's unmistakable if you know the Brown Bunny cannes stories. The Bean director is "Carson Clay", Gallo's character in Bunny is "Bud Clay" (earlier in Buffalo '66 he played Billy Brown and he likes alliterations and multiples of 11), they made Willem Dafoe kinda look like him. It's weirdly out of place for a kid's film, but I guess it's one of those things that is supposed to keep the adults from falling asleep in.

I think Brown Bunny is an amazing film.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Supposedly he had his tattoos lasered off as well... That's dedication.

esp since his last couple of albums didn't do so well

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Do German actors dislike or avoid taking roles as Nazis? It seems to me like German actors, at some point, take a role as a Nazi in some American film because the German film industry just isn't very big...

If you're an actor, unless your a select few, you take what you can get.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

KillRoy posted:

What the hell happened to John Carpenter? He's responsible for some of my all time favorite movies like The Thing, Mouth of Madness, Halloween 1&2, Escape from NY, etc. etc. His resume is classic after classic

He hasn't made a movie since Ghosts of Mars in 2001. It wasn't a bad movie, but it was nowhere near his other works. Vampires wasn't all that great either. What's he been doing for the past 10 years? Is he retired or on sabbatical?

He got old and crazy.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

bad movie knight posted:

In Boogie Nights and other movies, what are they using for fake cocaine?

Baby Laxatives or Vitamin C.

And yes, the baby laxities have the same effect when you rail it.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

bad movie knight posted:

Man, Heather Graham and Julianne Moore must've had one bad case of the shits. They do a lot of loving fake coke in that scene.

On a related note, something I've always wondered: Do they ever use real drugs in the filming of a movie? You know how sometimes (very rarely) Actor A and Actress B have real sex disguised as fake sex? I wonder if the same thing happens with drugs, especially coke.

It's fun to think about. But it doesn't really work for shooting scenes because you have to do it over and over and over again. It gets expensive and kind of boring. You really can't go anywhere and do the things that'd be fun if you were high... if you did you could easily lose your job. Not to mention just becoming generally uncontrollable.

I mean, in eating scenes it gets so tiring that actors spit out the food unless they have to swallow it (they do have to watch their waistlines, and the food is cheap as can be)

I'm sure it's happened a couple of times, but it's really a bad idea.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I guess I just thought a PA would go out and get old news papers or something.

And old newspaper would have copyrighted photos/text if you get close enough and they could get sued. You basically just buy a prop newspaper from the prophouse and it has it all jumbled up to where you want various poo poo to be.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

WebDog posted:

The advent of HD has forced art departments to start putting effort into the props as you no longer can't get away with text being too small or indistinct for the camera to pick up.

That's mostly TV's problem, they've changed a lot more than feature movies have.

bad movie knight posted:

You could make a whole thread out of this.

Yeah... I just don't know where to start...

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Again - it's not just non-smokers. Doing take after take and smoking half a pack of marlboro unfiltereds in an hour can't be a pleasant thing.

I've heard that the fake weed can be pretty rough after a while, too.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Elijya posted:

Are they really spying THAT far in advance? How do they spy, anyway? Pay off an intern to steal a script treatment? Has Dreamworks bugged the Pixar writers room?

"Spying" in Hollywood is pretty much a giant myth. There's not like people looking at secret documents or anything like that. The whole town is a goddamn gossip mill. It's ridiculous. A couple of times a week I hear "Ok, you can't tell anyone this, but..." or "This stays within these walls..." or something like that.

The other big "spying" resource is the trades. Especially now that they don't have independent critics and hardly any journalists anymore, they're mostly press releases and rumors.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Writing is a huge investment. It takes a long time, and the development process stretches it on for years.

Meanwhile if you're Affleck or Damon, acting roles are a couple weeks and then you're on to the next one. It's much easier to do a lot of that.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Mad Max is great because of the way it handles the apocalypse. The end of the civilized world has happened and they're trying to grasp on to the very last vestiges of it. It never out-and-out tells you this, but you get hints all around. That's why it's "The last of the V8-Interceptors" - there's no more cars being made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Fun Fact: Criterion needs to make money to survive.