Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Ericcorp posted:

Well, that worked out well for him.

More like it worked out poorly for everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, or one of the worst offenders is the Stargate SG-1 dvds in the regular sized cases. I have season 1 and 2 in that size, and the rest in the thinpack ones. I'm pretty sure season 1 takes up as much room as the rest of the series.

I bought the first 7 seasons in the regular sized cases. They take up an entire shelf of my DVD cabinet, which is the same amount of space as (9 Simpsons + 4 Futurama + 4 Home Movies + 3 Arrested Development) season sets, or 38 standard DVDs/games. Maybe someday I'll be able to sell them and replace with thinpaks for not too large a price...

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

So I'm sure The Prestige has been gone over several times before in previous iterations of this type of thread, but I only have three small questions, and they probably aren't the ones that I expect got asked a lot when this movie came out.

#1 - When Borden writes Tesla on the paper, he intends to lead Angier on the wild goose chase. I don't recall Borden ever noticing Angier at Tesla's failed demonstration back in London. Was this a convenience used by the writers to get Angier on the path to the machine, or are we to interpret that Borden was crafty enough to realize that Angier would sacrifice several years and untold amounts of money just because of one name on a piece of paper.

#2 - When does Cutter learn about the fact that Borden is in fact two twins posing as one person? I could see him having always known from before the movie started, but never revealing it to anyone because of the magician's code, although that would probably take a lot of suspension of disbelief on the viewers' part. Or was it only after he discovered that Caldlow=Angier, and off-screen the non-jailed twin approaches him to enlist his help in getting his daughter back?

#3 - I'm not quite sure to what degree with audience was supposed to be surprised at some of the "revelations". We know the hats and the cat got duplicated in the teleportation, so obviously Angier was as well, and once they mention the trap door and show the blind stage-hands removing the wrapped-up glass containers, it's pretty easy to deduce what's going on. But then the end reveal with the rows of Angiers is presented as somewhat of a twist; was it just supposed to be visually shocking to see dozens of dead Hugh Jackmans, or did the writers really think the audience would still be confused at this point of the movie?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

haveblue posted:

Plus, he does stuff like this.

Also stuff like this.

The man gives 110% on the field.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Jack Gladney posted:

Why do so many dvds have a cardboard sleeve with artwork identical to the dvd cover? I guess I could understand if the cover were different, or if there were artwork on the back and it was the only way to specify features, but they're almost always completely the same. Is it just to make shoplifting harder or what?

I know that in Quebec it's often a cheaper method of complying with bilingualism laws. No idea what the reason would be elsewhere.