Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
At the end of 3:10 to Yuma why does Crowe's character shoot his own men? At first I thought it was obvious. But the more I think about it any reason I can come up with doesn't seem to make complete sense. I just wondered if there was an obvious reason I missed or it was supposed to be a little ambiguous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
3:10 to Yuma stuff

Ape Agitator posted:

Post is a bit old, but I took it that not only had he come to respect the man for flying in the face of death in favor of his family and duty, but I think he considered the impossible task "done" when they got to the train. To not get on the train would be to invalidate all of that man's life and I don't think he wanted to be party to that.

Of course, being on the train isn't the end of his life. He can be party to this incredible victory and never be locked away in Yuma.

I'd forgotten about this one, thanks for the responses. This one is closest to what I thought. However I think it was more to do with The son, than Bale. By getting on the train he shows to the son that Bale gets the job done and isn't a useless cripple.... showing that good guys aren't all losers and hopefully making him start idolizing his father rather than Crowe's psychopath. However, that's just getting on the train. Given that his men seemed fairly loyal to him I'm sure he could have done it without killing them all.

I guess the differing responses show there isn't a definitive answer, maybe it's just open to interpretation, which I'm cool with. I just wanted to know I wasn't missing an obvious unanimously accepted reason.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Waltzing Along posted:

Somehow I made it this far without seeing Better Off Dead. I finally saw it last night and loved it. I've seen a good number of 80s teen films but was blown away by how funny it was. Are there any of films that are similar that I may have missed?

One Crazy Summer has already been mentioned, it's not nearly as good but it's still a lot of fun. If you haven't seen them Say Anything... (Excellent) and The Sure Thing (not as excellent but I always thought it was a little underrated) are two other John Cusack films but they're more straight romantic comedies without the over-the-top surreal stuff. That said Cusack has a similar persona in all these films so there are some similarities.

Although it's not a teen comedy you might like Scorsese's often overlooked After Hours. It's not quite as out there but it's got a surreal black comedy feel to it and is from around the same time.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

kapalama posted:

I will give Glengarry Glen Ross a look-see.

You should do this. It's such a good film.

The problem with the Pacino stuff you're talking about is that in the past he's had so many iconic scenes where he does his scenery chomping bit and it doesn't come across as ACTING because the film has built to this moment and it fits the character and situation. And then you have stuff like like Scent of the Woman where someone's obviously said "you know that scene in Dog Day Afternoon [and you can insert several alternatives here], we want you to be someone who is like that all the time for no apparent reason".

The fact that he got the acadamy award for Scent of a Woman the same year he was nominated for Glengarry Glen Ross makes me sad. And then you look at all the films he was nominated for and didn't win and I remember why I don't give a gently caress about the Oscars.