Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this? posted:

For the longest time it was the most expensive movie ever made and it was solely due to Elizabeth Taylor. It was originally only supposed to cost $2 million and ended up nearly breaking the bank at Fox for $44 million (in 1963 dollars.) They had to shut down production, scrap a ton of sets and then move the entire thing to Italy because she got sick early in filming. Then there was the whole Richard Burton scandal where they met on set and had a very public affair.

So basically initial perceptions were pretty tainted toward the movie but it seems that people have mellowed toward it over time as some of the things became less important.

Yea, according to Wikipedia, adjusted for today's dollars it's the second most expensive movie in history after PotC 3. Though it's amazing that the drat thing cost that much and most of that is behind the scenes stuff.

Fox put all its eggs in one basket with Taylor and refused to remove her in favor of Marilyn Munroe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This is probably one of those questions that have dogged movies for ages, but did the scientists die when they approached the monolith on the Moon?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rake Arms posted:

I don't think so. The monolith just sent out a high frequency radio signal that caused a loud ringing in their communicators. Besides, wasn't Dr. Floyd with them?

When the sound is heard, they all clutch their helmets and fall to the ground.

I checked Wikipedia, and Dr Flyod is Roy Schneider's character in 2010, so clearly he didn't die.

Kinda neat that the original Monolith was clear. Thinking about that how much less impressive it would have been.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What film has the worst cost ratio between cost/income?

They talk about something like Waterworld, but when you look at how much it made, it wasn't that bad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How the hell could Town and Country cost that must? Did Betty just pay himself like 70mil for directing or something?

Pluto Nash was one I suspected, as it's pretty infamous for, well, being one of the worst major releases ever.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

VorpalBunny posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_and_Country_(film)

An example of money wasted, from IMDB:
The winter mountain scenes (filmed in Sun Valley, Idaho) started filming in the early winter. Unfortunately, there was no snow on the ground at the time. Several scenes were filmed with manmade snow. After filming these scenes, over a foot of natural snow feel the next day. Some of the scenes were re-shot in the "natural" background.

Interesting article about the mess:
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/15/arts/15LYMA.html?ex=1169960400&en=b6c9a41a52441280&ei=5070

That's insane. Not unlike Cimino and Heaven's Gate though. But there is a history of disastrous productions turning out great. Apocalypse Now seemed like it was headed there, but it turned out to be one of the best films ever made. Same thing with Citizen Kane. So maybe studios are willing to take risks like that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There is probably a page with this, or i could do painstaking research and figure it out, but are there any examples of movies made in my life time that have kids in them that became stars later on?

Some I know are Elija Wood in Back to the Future 2, Alicia Witt in Dune, Eliza Duskhu in True likes and Thora Birch in Patroit Games.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Barometer posted:

You might want to edit in what constitutes your "life time", for reference. Not trying to be snarky, anyone who wants to answer is going to need to know what timespan you are asking about.
You have already listed things I didn't know, haha, so I have no info at all. Elija Wood was in BttF2? Holy crap.

Oops, I'm 32, so pretty much star wars onwards.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, the Josh Brolin thing is weird. He was in Goonies, then he shows up again in Planet Terror, then BAM, No Country for Old Men.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Daveski posted:

Have you seen 24 Hour Party People? It's the (mostly) true story of Tony Wilson and Factory Records. It's an extremely entertaining movie and offers a decent look behind the scenes of the bands, labels, and clubs of the time.

I can't recommend that film enough. In the same vein, Control is specifically about Joy Division's singer Ian Curtis (which is the band that put Wilson's Factory on the musical map), but gets deep into his personal demons and how they influenced his creative process.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is there a reason for the region stuff outside of making sure us in North America can't buy super awesome versions of Blackadder from the UK?

Outside of some semblance of protecting domestic dvd markets, it doesn't seem to have any application.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I remember watching a movie that took place during the Battle of the Bulge. It was a black and white movie, but I remember distinctly in the middle of it, there is a huge song and dance number for some reason in the middle of the film.

Or did i dream that? I know there were a lot of oddly inserted songs in older films, but it seemed very out of place.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

haveblue posted:

Is Sheriff Pepper in Diamonds Are Forever? He gets chased around Las Vegas by a similar character but apparently that was someone else?

Nope, he first appears in Live and Let Die as a the local sheriff, and then he's on vacation in Thailand in Man With The Golden Gun.

I'll buy you a delicatessen.....in stainless steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel!

And yea, I like Diamonds are Forever, bond seems very at home in rat pack vegas.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nuke Goes KABOOM posted:

James Bond is just a code name.

He's a clone.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Double post

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, can someone explain the opera sequence in Quantum of Solace? I was, and still am, confused about the part where they herd a bunch of street clothes people into a cage and a bunch of uniformed guys proceed to shoot them from above. I was ridiculed in the QoS thread for "not understanding Opera" for asking it, but, it still confuses me. To me, it looks like the Quantum members are witnessing an execution that is masked as part of the opera, but the opera clearly shows costumed people in a stylized set, and the shooting seems to involve normal people. I can only conclude that this is how Quantum deals with people that stand in their way.

Or is this a part of the Opera?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Colonel Whitey posted:

It's part of the opera. It parallels how Bond got them all in the same place at the same time and took pictures of their faces or something.

edit: I guess I shoulda spoilered that.

Okay, that makes sense. As I said, in the QoS thread I got "Lol! You don't know about opera? Loser!".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay I was watching Gamer last night and I had two questions.

How did Butler's wife end up as an Avatar in Society, and why was Society legal? They made it clear that Slayers was using death row inmates, so no one could give a gently caress about them blowing up while being controlled by teenagers. But Society enslaved people to gently caress and dance around like an idiot while being controlled by weirdos. It seemed really strange. Maybe I missed that the society avatars did this as a job or something.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
7The book is pretty clear on most of the weird stuff in the movie. Dave travels though a series of star gates and passes though a galactic grand central station. The Monolith evolves him as it is programed to do, and creates the star child, who proceeds to dedicative all the nukes in orbit. Or isn't that 2010?

The other books are pretty neat, as they go into more detail about the Monoliths and why they are used.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

poonchasta posted:

I'm watching Blade Runner Final Cut, and once again I'm confused about the scene when Deckard is analyzing the photo in that machine. At the end of the scene when he is super zoomed in and sees the girl, is he actually changing the viewing angle? If not that, then something weird with perspective is going on. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I once read that the idea what the camera actually took a 3d image, and there for had depth that could be read by the photoscanner machines. I guess that makes as much sense as anything.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, I was wondering about Zombie movies. When the zombies are eating people, what is it? I know in some they look like they real raw meat. Especially in older ones, like Night Of The Living Dead. I heard a story that in Day of The Dead, when one of the guys gets torn apart, his intestines are sausage links, but because they were bad, they smelled really bad, so when the actor got torn up, him wincing on camera is from the smell.

But I find it hard to believe that actors would be willing to chow down on raw meat for scenes. Or even allowed by unions and working standards.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I swear Aliens and Wrath of Khan have the same soundtrack in places.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh man, I have to make a huge effort to go see a huge blockbuster. Take 3 buses and it takes me an hour, because they relocated all the theaters far outside the town I live in. So jealous.

Anyways, Speaking of Leon and westerns, but when does Duck You Sucker/Fist Full of Dynamite take place? It seems like it's the 30s, but there's a lot of stuff that looks from the 19th century, and when they ambush the convoy, one of the guns they have is an MG42, which wasn't in use by the Germans until 1942. It's very confusing.

One of my favorite miniature effects is from Lynch's Dune. When the Atredies arrive on Arrakis, the scene where they leave their frigate, it looks like a massive set, but it's a very clever use of perspective and miniatures. The ship is a miniature that's very close to the camera, while the actors and airfield is very far away. They are lined up perfectly so it looks like one shot.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hedenius posted:

That's all very intentional. Leone based a lot of the film on WWII and never meant it as a real period piece.

That makes a lot more sense. It works a lot better just being sort of in it's own world.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This is more about politics, but what does Lucas and Speilberg have against Blu Ray? I've heard over and over that both of them hate it and refuse to release anything for it.

It seems silly, as you'd think they'd both want to get part of that sweet pie. Lucas needs more flannel.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What's going on with the Dark Crystal sequel? I remember reading about it ages ago, but is it dead?

Also, what the gently caress MGM not having any money so it stops its cash cow Bond films? It doesn't make any sense.

Finally, I really want to get a blu ray player, and they're fairly cheap now. I used to buy a lot of DVDs, but i've put a hold on that due to BRs. Though I discovered that I have to get a HD tv first because of the connections. Which sucks because if I have an HD tv I need to get an HD box from my cable company which is more money, on top of the TV.

Or can you get BR players that use composite video?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

InfiniteZero posted:

You can get BR players that use composite video but I'd suggest that you save your money for an HDTV first. You're not really getting your money's worth from a BR player if you're using a regular TV and a composite output. It's not really an upgrade at all, since your TV won't even support the higher resolutions that BluRay uses.

Well, it's more that the TV is the most expensive part of it, and it will take me much longer to save up for it. Though I've been looking at the 40" ones are a lot more affordable than they were.

I guess the TV does make sense because I do already have a 360, which has native HD support for the games. It's my summer saving project.

Though everyone is confused by I want to get a 40". It's pretty easy, I don't have that much room in my apartment and I don't want t have some giant rear end TV to move around, again. I have a 37" wega and they are insanely huge.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Dark Crystal 2 is now being put back into production with the brothers who directed Daybreakers in the director(s) spot. Not sure how to feel about that, since Genndy Tartakovsky was supposed to be doing it.

Well, Daybreakers had a lot of good concepts mixed up with a lot of goofy stuff.

quote:

and MGM didn't stop James Bond. ION Productions did. They co-produce the movie with MGM, and since MGM has no money, they felt they wouldn't be able to fund the movie properly, so they called it off until MGM gets a new home or what-not.

Okay, what I heard sounded a lot less dire than that. How I heard made it sound like stop buying a bus pass to save money, but now you can't get to work. I'm probably safe in assuming MGM's problems are runaway production costs, lack of successful movies and general financial mismanagement?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

NeuroticErotica posted:

Not quite. Basically MGM went on a huge buying spree buying up back catalogs of movies. They leveraged this against future DVD sales, and for a while everything was fine. Then DVD sales completely fell out and now, things are tough.

Ah, that would explain why in my store we have tons of old movies for 6-15 bux that are MGM titles. They all have giant MGM logos at the top of the box.

EDIT: Where can I find the Machete trailer, google only gives me links to the Grindhouse one.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 12, 2010

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RussianGuyovich posted:

Search "Machete trailer illegal" and it should come up. The opening is Trejo talking directly to the audience if that helps.

Ew, I feel dirty I had to go to Ebaums to see it as all the Youtube videos are down.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've been watching my digital copy of Sherlock Holmes on the bus to and from work, and the painting above Holmes's desk, who is that? It looks so familiar.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was surprised to see Jerry Goldsmith's name on the music for Chinatown.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I was curious what Nine was about, and looked at the abstract. It seemed familiar, then I looked at 8 1/2. Same summery! Holy poo poo does that means a remake of one of the best Italian films ever involves Fergie?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 19, 2010

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
double post

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Sort of. It's a movie version of a musical that was essentially a remake of 8 1/2. Featuring Fergie.

I probably hate her more than Justin Beiber. No one calls Beiber a musical genius, but Rolling Stone just called her (and the rest of the BEP) exactly that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I just learned today that Dreamworks doesn't exist anymore. Considering massive successes like Shrek and Gladiator, I had no idea they had also produced a lot of crap.

Though the thing i saw on TV about it traced the problems more to Spielberg's ego than anything else. Rather than giving people creative freedom, it became a playground for Spielberg's imagination. Or at least that's what the lady who wrote Those that Would be Kings or what ever the book about Dreamworks is called.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was wondering who was spitting out the Shrek sequels.

Halloween 3 was on last night, and It made me wonder, was there any plans for the other Halloween movies that were never made? The non Michael Meyers films that were from when it was simply a Horror anthology series that would have an annual movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Isn't that why Japanese people in movies are often played by Chinese? There's not many Japanese actors that speak english, outside of Ken Wantanabe. Only other male Japanese actor I can think of that works in Hollywood is George Takai.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I watched Legion last night, and I am confused. Though from the general reaction to the film, I'm not alone. It really feels like "some reason" what written into the script. There's never explanation why the baby is special, or why God wants to kill everyone. Seriously, the trailer gave you pretty much all the plot that there was.

I have to admit though, it's got a solid cast, and I really want to see Paul Bettany and Kevin Durand be in more movies. Some of the action is pretty stylish, but drat, the plot makes no sense, or did I miss something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always figured Mad Max took place during the collapse of civilization, but before the nukes started flying. 2 is some years after, and then 3 is again, a decade or more since the war. Assuming the ages of the kids living in the grotto can give you some kind of timeline.

Which is doubtful.

I was putting dvds out at work and I realized, Edge of Darkness, starring Mel Gibson seemed like it was a Direct to DVD movie. It may have been in theaters, but I don't remember.

But growing up, Mel Gibson was one of the biggest movie stars ever. Along with Tom Cruise and Julia Roberts, Angelina Jolie and others. They got 20 million dollars a movie, and everything they touched was gold. But that day is over. No one gets that kind of money these days, and those stars aren't as talked about outside of ET and Access Hollywood, who are more concerned with Lady Gaga tripping or Twilight films.

So what happened? The economy caused those massive salaries to become unthinkable? Too many stinkers? Drunken rants about jews? It's interesting to think I lived though the rise and demise of the megastar.