Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FishBulb posted:

They all hate it because it was a huge flop and they don't want to be associated with a flop and a movie that is universally not popular.

That said, its pretty funny but very groany. I wouldn't say I 'love' it but its not nearly as bad as its reputation.

I didn't think of that. And you're right, its bad, but not Ecks vs Sever or a ____ Movie, and as you said, more of a groaner. Everytime something crazy over the top happens, I felt like McTieran should pop up on screen and wink.

Speaking of Arnie movies and things we remember from films, I remember watching Conan the Barbarian with the commentary on a dvd i borrowed from a friend and hearing Arnold go "I get laid a lot in this movie", but on the version I have, I cannot find that quote. Did i imagine it or is there versions with that edited out?

Is there a proper name for the "silent hill effect", that herky jerky movement that I assume is done by removing inbetween frames which makes the motion so creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SubG posted:

Ah. If that's what twistedmentat was asking about, the term of art is `undercranking'; shooting at a lower frame rate than the film will be projected at. In Jacob's Ladder (1990) I think that's all that's going on. I've also seen it used in conjunction with a longer shutter speed to get more motion blur.

Yea, that's what I was wondering. I should have remembered Jacob's Ladder was one of the first things to use it.

But that's cool about the Saving Private Ryan thing, I figured it was just some kind of filter.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mouser.. posted:

It's from the commentary that he did with John Milius on the Conan the Barbarian DVD. It's hilarious with the way Arnold and John sounds so lecherous when they talking about the women. It's also clear that Arnold was really enjoying himself reminiscing on the film. I personally love commentaries like this. Check out the one that Arnold did with Paul Verhoeven for Total Recall as well. Kurt Russell and John Carpenter did some great ones too, just less sex talk.

Anyways, here's the clips you are looking for:

Arnold Schwarzenegger and John Milius on Conan The Barbarian

Is it on the double sided disk version? As that's the one I have. I do also have Total Recall one. Arnold laughing at the three breasted hooker getting shot is a classic.

Mr_Zombie posted:

Huh, I read that same article and was surprised they didn't seem to approach it from the angle of it being an interesting failure. If I'm remembering it right they even talk about how the villain coming to the real world and being faced with withered hookers didn't jibe with the light hearted approach they took earlier. I always thought that was the point and it worked well in the context of the movie. Sure, it's a little bit smug, but it's a popcorn movie ripping the piss out of popcorn movies. In the 90's.

The thing is, I don't think anyone really needed to be told these movies were silly and over the top. And yea, the Villain coming into the real world was by far the best part of the movie. I think if they had concentrated on the fictional characters in the real world, rather than annoying kid telling everyone all the cliches as reverence, and Arnold doing back flips down Mulhulland (I think).

Speaking of Grindhouse, is there versions with the missing footage? I thought it was on the Dvd/bluray, but i've scoured the disk and come up with nothing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pablo Gigante posted:

The extended version of Death Proof has the lap-dance scene, but the extended version of Planet Terror just has a few extra scenes. The "missing reel" was never actually filmed.

Are those the stand alone ones or the double feature release?

A coworker told me Expendables had 2 stuntmen die on the set. What other films have had people die during the filming? I know about Twilight Zone and the Crow, but i'm sure there have been other deaths caused by accidents with effects and students.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I guess no matter how safe you are, there is always the chance of something happening on set that costs someone their life.

I was watching this video http://cinemassacre.com/2011/11/22/top-15-movies-where-people-loving-burn-to-death/ and it made me wonder how they do shots of someone running on fire. I've seen effects specials where they talk about some kind of gel they smear on stuntmen, or fireproof suits they can wear under regular clothing, but in many cases it looks like the person is just on fire. Not to mention in early hollywood, like in the Thing From Another World, those things may not have been available.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm not sure why my earlier question deserved a snarky answer, but I'll ask it again, how do they set people on fire? I have heard that there are gels and suits that stuntmen use, but I figure those are fairly recent developments, so I am also curious how they did that effect in the past, or did they always have them?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

mexicanmonkey posted:

So what you're saying here is that you believe in the olden days before fancy gel and fireproof suits they didn't just set people on fire. Yes that makes perfect sense.

Um, I'm asking how they did that effect. I'm not sure why that's getting snarky answers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Magic Hate Ball posted:

A small stuntman, a big padded suit, a little fire, a short shot, a bunch of people with fire extinguishers, and faith in the retardant qualities of densely layered fabric.

I'm sure a lot of effects and stunts in the early days of films had a lot of faith involved. I remember watching something about Tarzan movies, and how they just hoped the actor could swing from vine to vine, with a circus net just off camera in case they fell.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bobkatt013 posted:

German Expressionism is awesome and after you finish that watch the other classic Nosfaratu. A movie that should have been lost due to Mrs. Stroker. You can see a huge influence on the classic horror films and Tim Burton also loves to homage them.

Is there any news of a BR of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari in the works? I am hoping that it gets treatment on par with Metropolis. Also, one for Nosfaratu. I've only seen it in crappy 50 movie collections.

Besides the aforementioned films, is there any other German Expressionist films that should be checked out? I've been trying to get a copy of M, but i'm at a loss of any others to check out.

Speaking of old silent films, Birth of A Nation. We got a copy in the store recently, and the back paints it as a portrait of the US Civil war, a great film that was the first blockbuster. Both of which is true, but it then goes into about how the NAACP tried to suppress the film, that censorship was heaped upon it, but dammit, it had to be shown! It kind of bothers me that a film that is in no small part is responsible for the resurgence of the KKK, and all that resulted of that, is painted as some kind of underdog that was unfairly attacked. I haven't seen it in like a decade, but while praiseworthy for its technical merits, the story and message of the film is reprehensible.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

penismightier posted:

The Last Laugh and The Golem. Night of the Hunter also captures the spirit of that movement eerily well.

Ah cool, I never thought of the Golem as being one. I think one of my favorite things about the genre is how dreamy all the sets look. The painted on shadows, the angular designs, its just incredible.

quote:

That's really loving sleazy of them. A blurb like that belongs on the back of Within Our Gates, not Birth of a Nation.

The abstract Peaceful Anarchy is exactly it. The DVD just shows some heroic shots of Civil War soldiers, forgetting the hoards of klansmen that feature promenintnely in the film, or the horrible african-american characters. The only thing more racist I've seen that's not directly from a racist group are those old cartoons of southern blacks eating watermelon.

I would not be surprised if i dug around, the dvd's makers are connected to the Koch brothers or other shitheel conservative groups.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The back of the DVD also give us the wonderful quote from Woodrow Wilson "Its like history written with lightning!" which is clearly trying to make Birth of a Nation seem like a historically accurate film.

But you cannot say that the movie's success is purely for its technical merits; its subject matter was very appealing to white Americans of the time. The Klan had been resurrected by Walter Simmons on Thanksgiving Day 1912, and its membership grew exponentially after BOAN was released. Discounting its racist message is disingenuous.

It was strange, at the same time I was viewing the film in a film class, we were talking about the Klan in my American history class.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Didn't a lot of movies in the 70s use real pot? I know Easy Rider did, with hilarious results from Henry Fonda. Or is it Peter, I never can keep them straight.

I got to read the entire Last Action Hero article from Empire last month, rather than skimming it at work, and It's really fascinating. It seems like a jumbled mess because of the whole too many cooks adage. Went from being a promising script from some first timers, to a experienced writer in Shane Black (he was the guy with the grenade launcher in Predator right?), then to way too many people that took what could have been a good sendup of the whole genre, into, well, what we got. I Guess I can understand why people do like the film, because they can see that germ of an idea.

Are there any other movies that have really fascinating stories on why they became a ,disaster? I've read all about Cleopatra, and its madness, but there has to be other films that go from good idea of "wtf?"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BeigeJacket posted:

The Island of Dr Moreau is pretty :stare:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Island_of_Dr._Moreau_(1996_film)#Production

Wow, thats terrible. No wonder why Val Kilmer went from being a A lister to appearing in SNL movies.

Mouser.. posted:

A documentary on a film that had Murphy's Law to the full extent was Lost in La Mancha. It's about Terry Gilliams aborted attempt to make a Don Quixote movie which was beset with so many problems that he finally had to give up on the entire production.

While Lost in La Mancha is excellent, I don't consider it on the same level as the others. Its more just every kind of bad luck that could happen to a production happened to it.

Movies are such a big business, and its an amazing mix of egos, wildly different levels of talent and professionalism and sums of money thrown at things that are staggering.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

foodfight posted:

Sortof related: http://www.cracked.com/article_19548_the-5-most-horrifyingly-wasteful-film-shoots.html

Five most horrifyingly wasteful film shoots.

Wow, that is crazy. I heard about the Ten Commandment's buried city, isn't there a crappy Sci-fi Channel movie about it?

What is the name of the Aliens documentary? Its about 2 hours long, gets really detailed in every aspect of the 4 films, talks about things like the other versions of Alien 3, has Giger saying that the Alien in Resurrection looks like a "turd".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hibernator posted:

On the anthology set? Each one has a separate documentary. They're called:

The Beast Within: The Making of Alien
Superior Firepower: The Making of Aliens
Wreckage and Rage: The Making of Alien 3
One Step Beyond: The Making of Alien Resurrection

No, this one was about 2 hours long, it was all a solid feature. They would talk to people involved with the movies and behind them they'd often have old timy green computer graphics of facehuggers and stuff.

It was really fascinating, as they got into the strange idea for Alien 3 with the wooden spaceship full of monks and stuff.

EDIT: Ah! Alien Saga! Thanks!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Five Cent Deposit posted:

If, like me, you have the Blu Anthology then you're in luck, it's in the Archives section. But if not, or if you're a crazy completionist, Amazon has the standalone DVD (with extra stuff) for only 9 bucks. Hell, check netflix too. I'm also definitely planning to try to download those other free docs I linked to.

I want to anthology on BR, so its nice to hear that its on there.

Flock? You mean stuff like this

http://i.imgur.com/NrDxv.jpg

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I remember in the Boogie Nights commentary the director mentioning that they were snorting fructose.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SubG posted:

And depersonalisation/dehumanisation is one of the film's major narrative arguments. The recruit training sequence that the film opens with goes out of its way to make the marines as interchangeable and indistinguishable as possible. The first images we see involve all the characters literally being made to look as much alike as possible, for example, and in the images at the end we see Joker---who we've been following throughout the film---literally fades into a crowd of his fellow marines.

Which is such a crazy thing, because pretty much every other war movie does its best to make the audience know who is who. You can identify pretty much any soldier in a movie like Platoon at a glance, like giving Kevin Dillon a raccoon tail hanging from his helmet or the guys club.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

morestuff posted:

Corrected myself a little - Maurice LaMarche was doing the voice. The guy basically made a living doing Welles, so that makes sense.

I raise you him on the Critic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i7ycxiog40

Oh they're even better when you're dead!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SubG posted:

Seriously. Just as all the violence in Full Metal Jacket is sex, all the sex in A Clockwork Orange (1971) is violence.

I never thought about it that way, mind is blown.

And for the longest time I thought it was "Raptorman" not Rafterman.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was watching Cowboys and Aliens the other night and I was confused, what was up with the aliens little pink hands? Was it a secondary set of hands that were for doing more delicate things than their claws would allow, or was it like Independence Day were the big aliens were actually suits. It sure looked like they had a secondary mouth down there too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Am I imagining things or does the Ministry of Magic in Deathly Hallows heavily influenced by the Ministry of Information in Brazil?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's probably drawing from the same sources, but Rowling apparently did want Gilliam to direct the first two Potter films, so she probably is familiar with his work.

That would have been so amazing.

I never knew that, and that would have been amazing. I imagine they'd have the look of the 3rd one, even with the surrealist touches here and there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Me and a Coworker were talking about Warrior, and how the antagonist isn't the normal sports movie villain, he's just another guy going for the win. But so many sports movie have them as literally the basketball team from Hitler High and if they win, the heroes will be tortured to death. We honestly could not think of any other sports movies that had the other team as just another team. I'm sure there are more.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Shanty posted:

Bring It On!

For some reason I remember the other cheerleading team being full of Aryan Supermen and Superwomen.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I guess i should watch more sports movies.

The other day I was putting out sale dvds at work and I noticed that Bad Boys 2 has " A Don Simpson/Jerry Bruckheimer production". Now I am pretty sure Don Simpson died in the mid 90s, so unless he's a zombie and still producing movies, is his name on it simply because he was involved in the production of the 1st?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

penismightier posted:

It has Blacula and Ilsa, so despite its other problems it kinda owns.

I saw that and was wondering why the Night Porter was I, and it was Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS after all.

I finally was able to see Fargo from start to finish, and besides being able to realize how great the police work that Francis McDormand does in the movie, I am still confused on what Macey's character was in trouble with. He sold some trucks that didn't exist and tried to fudge the serial numbers in a fax?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

nocal posted:

I actually think it's a part of the brilliance of the movie to not make it explicit. It could be as simple as credit card debt, or as complex as a loan shark, but it's not a necessary part of the story.

Yea, I was wondering about how the mechanics of the GMAC scam worked. I have never bought a car, so I wasn't sure what was going on.

I think one of my favorite things in the movie is that Buchemi buries a ton of money by the side of the road, and its just left there.

I saw that Annie Hall and Manhatten are getting released this year on BR, and that made me wonder what the general consensus on Woody Allens comedies like Sleeper, Bananas and such? I remember them quite fondly, but rarely do I hear them mentioned when people talk about Allens body of work.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hexen (or as its described on my cable guide, Haxan) is on TCM right now. I thought this movie was lost and also German. The title cards are in Norwegian or Swedish.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

penismightier posted:

Haxan is the correct title. It's a Swedish/Danish film, and it has never been lost, but there's a few different edits.

Ah, maybe I heard something like the origonal full cut is missing or something akin to Metropolis.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was watching J Edger last week, and I remember reading an interview with Eastwood before the film came out where they asked "are you going to show that Hoover was gay?" and Eastwood said something like "oh it will be suggested, but you will have to make up your own mind". Its certainly subtext for a lot of the film, but it becomes text near the end.

Or is what Eastwood thinks is suggested is just obvious to me?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

NeuroticErotica posted:

It's kinda like the movie CAPOTE where they try to play both sides but ultimately fail at playing either.

I never saw Capote, but wasn't he out proud and out loud for everyone to know?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That's just weird. That's like making a movie about Oscar Wilde or Liberace and just ignoring the gay part. Well, I guess Liberace would make a point of him denying it, but still.

I honestly really enjoyed J Edgar, mostly because I love any kind of early 20th century period piece, and I was always fascinated by the Lindbergh Baby Case.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm watching the new Conan movie, which sucks by the way, but the whole "needing the blood of a pure person" made me think of a funny gag in another movie, where it turned out all they needed was a single drop. They pricked the girl with a pin or something, and then were pretty much done with her, an ld she says something along the lines of "that's it?"

I can't for the life of me remember what the movie was though, so i figured here is as good a place as any to ask.

Edit: it was pirates of the caribbean.

I enjoyed it, but I really hope Jason Momoa becomes one of the next big action stars. He's just got much a powerful presence.

But this reminds me of a question that i've had for a while; in Die Hard two, McClane stabs a terrorist in the eye with an icicle, looks at it an is grossed up by it. Is there any other movie where an action hero kills someone in an unpleasant way and then is grossed out by it?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm watching Immortals and one thing that always bugs me. At the end, Zeus, Athena, Posiden and some jobber gods show up to fight the newly released Titans. The first thing Zeus does it throw Ares's hammer and it sticks in the wall in an odd way.

It looks like he's going to resurrect Ares for the final battle, but its just there. It's like the writers intended to do something with it, but just forgot.

The discussion about child actors from earlier. in the early 2000s, it seemed every kid in a movie served no purpose other than to cause trouble for the main characters, or just annoy and distract the main plot. Dakota Fanning in War of the Worlds or the son in Unbreakable for example. But recently, everytime I see a young actor, they've been really, really good. I know its not movies, but every single kid in Game of Thrones is just knocking it out of the park. There are others, but the current crop of child actors seems to actually try to act, rather than just be kid in a movie.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 2, 2012

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Shanty posted:

I have to say, those are terrible examples if you're trying to illustrate kid characters that "just annoy and distract the main plot". What is War of the Worlds about if not Cruise's whole Deadbeat Dad character arc? Unbreakable too (though not as much), I can't really fathom how that movie could work without Willis's son defining how he deals with his "power".

The first bit of the alien invasion is constantly interrupted by some problem that his daughter has and they have to solve before they can escape the aliens. We need to get out of New York but first we have to solver her claustrophobia! The son in Unbreakable was just super clingly, every scene has him just wanting to be with his dad 24/7. Even when Willis wants to be alone his son is "oh I'll join you!". Though both stop doing that in later acts of the film, like when the son gets the gun.

Maybe they're bad examples, but they annoyed the hell out of me and distracted me from the plot. I'm probably not articulating myself well here.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I admit to being fairly hyperbolic, and I'll also admit to not seeing Unbreakable since it was in the theater so I'm probably mis remembering how many times Willis wants to go deal with his new powers but the kid is just wrapped around his leg going "i'm here dad!!!". At least they have him act annoyed at it a couple of times. Though I recently saw war of the worlds, and the daughter really feels like the writer gave her a bunch of problems because they felt that they made her a rounded character. Ooh she's allergic to peanuts and they have to calm her down before they can escape the giant alien death machines that are turning everyone into dust.

I still don't think I'm explaining why she bothered me so much, maybe because I hate when they give a character some kind of problem in a of contrived "we're all different" lesson.

And yes, I would have rather seen 2 hours of Tom Cruise hiding because that's what the classic story is. It's a guy who wanders around England during an Martian invasion and observes our futile attempts to stop them with all our technology. But then at the end he wonders alone among the ruins of the Martians where they have been laid low by microbes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You know, you guys are 100% right and I am completely looking at it the wrong way. Seriously, this isn't sarcastic and I never thought about it in the way of Tom Cruise is such a lovely dad that he doesn't know his daughter has some serious problems that would be basic for any parent to know about.

About child actors, there are movies where they are exposed to violence, swearing, sex, nudity, all the good stuff, but are they actually? Like do the ADR fucks and shits into the dialog after its shot?

I know in some cases the kids are not actually kids, but older kids who look young, or little people. I remember there was a bunch of people making a stink about the Tin Drum about the lead feeling up nude actresses and seeing sex, but the producers of the film saying that he's not a kid, he's just a little person. Uh, is that the correct term?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Encryptic posted:

Let's put it this way - you're probably better off NOT being familiar with Greek mythology. About the only thing the movie has in common with the source material is the names of the gods and the main character.

Yea, its like Tarsim has a vague knowlages of the Classical gods, and just kind of made the rest up.

But here is the ones we actually see

The one that looks like Orlando Bloom is Zeus, the super god.
The blond wonder woman Godess is Athena, goddess of Wisdom and Warfare. She is daughter of Zeus via being born from Zeus head when he had a headache.
Guy with the hammer and the spiky hat is Ares, god of War.
The guy with the trident and shellhead is Posiden, god of the sea. In the Greek legends he is kind of a dick and is probably one of the actual evil gods
At least one of the gods with a non-speaking part is Hermes, god of messengers and healers.

At the end, only Zeus, Posiden and Athena are really identifiable. There are other gods that just kind of get killed, but are not really given anything unique to identify them.

Thanks for the info on the child actors, I figured that it would something like there are general rules, but in practice things are often taken case by case.

Ugh I hate the stories about Thora Birch, I had such a crush on her after Ghostworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Encryptic posted:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. That aside, it was a beautifully-filmed movie and I dug the slow-mo CGI gore at the end. It wasn't a great movie but it was pretty to look at.

I agree. I cannot wait to see Henry Cavil as Superman next year.

Last night I watched the classic Casino Royal, and why did Orsen Wells have that blanket over his legs the whole time? I wonder if it was affection the makers of the movie gave him, or it was some weird Wells thing.