Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Yawgmoft posted:

Interestingly enough, it is this very thing that gave us a not-directed-by-Spielberg Return of the Jedi, and also, arguably, three lackluster prequels.

Could you please explain this?

Kasonic posted:

Bumping this thread back to life because I just got done watching Mission: Impossible 3 and I think I missed some minor plot details.

To answer your question:

Musgrove wanted to know if the message the girl sent was exposing him as a mole. He freed Ethan to make it seem like was on his side, but in reality he just wanted him to get the rabbit's foot. I think that Musgrove wasn't actually a bad guy, but he was just trying to get through Hoffman to whoever was buying from him, but to do it, he had to become a villian. It's been a while since I saw it, but it's still a very solid and awesome movie. The questions it leaves open are kind of what enhance it's entertainment value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Yawgmoft posted:

The unions wouldn't let Spielberg work on RotJ because Lucas refused to put the credits in the beginning of the movie.

Well, that worked out well for him.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Shalinor posted:

(this is of the same category as "Little Monsters" - movies you saw as a kid that were so bizarre you begin to wonder if you just made it up)

Little Monsters gave me nightmares for months when I was little.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

azflyboy posted:

According to an interview with Zemeckis (I think it's on the recent DVD release somewhere), Crispin Glover was demanding a far larger paycheck for the second film than anyone thought he was worth, so they didn't bring him back for that film.

This is a really interesting story to me, because previously, I always thought that the main people in the first BTTF were just Marty and Doc. When it was re-released in theaters a few months ago I got to see it, and I realized that George is almost as equally a part of the movie, so not having him in the second one really was a mistake.

I always thought the second one was really weak, I'd like to see what they could have came up with if they has included Crispin Glover. Although the George McFly character is in it briefly, but I'm guessing there was a few major rewrites to minimize his role.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

csidle posted:

Hey guys, this is an odd question, but I'm writing and essay about Reality and subjectivity, and I had in the back of my head been thinking about using a movie as an example of something that can make a lot of people go "wow, that's deep. This movie has such a message," while really, I thought to myself "That movie presented it's message really well, and it came off very deep and meaningful. But the message is bullshit, it's really stupid once you think of it." But I CANNOT remember what movie I was thinking about.

Basically, I need an example of a movie that's well made and presents a message that's supposed to be deep and inspiring, while it's really a bit stupid once you think about it.

e: I'm thinking of using The Pursuit of Happiness, maybe, but I haven't seen it. I'd probably use it because I read that while the movie is touching and inspiring, the real story was quite a bit darker and the oh so great man was bit of a poo poo.

The point of The Pursuit of Happyness to me is sort of that money will solve your problems, even if you have to break up your marriage, getting rich will fix it all.

Also, I think Fight Club is the ultimate example of what you are asking for. It has such a strong message about anti-establishmentism but really it's just something stupid where guys want to beat each other up.

Rake Arms posted:

Crash.

Ha, I saw that and I was sure it was trying to tell me something, but in the end I couldn't really figure out what it was. Racism goes both ways, I guess? I'm not really sure.

How about American History X. Way to go the whole movie telling us that racism is wrong WHOOPS BLACK KID SHOT THE WHITE KID

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

morestuff posted:

If you have the director's cut, there shouldn't be a problem (and, really, it probably won't absolutely ruin the movie either way). Otherwise:

It's such a horrible horrible addition to the movie. Imagine if Empire Strikes Back began with a narration that Vader is Lukes dad. It's about like that.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

CzarChasm posted:

Let's look at modern technology: Humans have a limit to how many colors they can recognize. As it stands a computer can display/recognize around 11 million variances in color (using HEX), we just can't see differences that minute. Similarly, human eye speed is only able to compute so much information before it starts to blend. So technologically, film today, is recorded and replayed at optimum viewing - in general. There is a human limit that will be reached first (Is this red redder than that red?)

Maddox has a hilarious article from like 1998 where he breaks down the color swatches on a lipstick website, and shows the hex values are all the same or like one digit off.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Armyman25 posted:

Does anyone here skip through to their favorite parts of a movie? I found that Crocodile Dundee II had been uploaded to youtube, and while the second half in Australia is pretty entertaining, there are about 5 minutes of movie that's worth the time to watch in the first half.

On the other side of the coin one of my friends' mom's is notorious for fast forwarding for the "boring" parts of dialogue in movies. Then when the movie is over she complains that she didn't follow the story it at all, she really gets worked up about the movie being hard to understand. It's hysterical.

csidle posted:

When you're watching tv shows on DVD it's a bit annoying to have the intro song at the start of every episode. Sopranos is great because it has a chapter break right after the song so it's really easy to skip. But The Wire. gently caress. The Wire has a long-rear end intro and you always have to fast forward through it and you end up missing a little bit and have to go back and ar akdslgjlbsnsass

My name is Michael Westen, I used to be a spy...

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

DrVenkman posted:

Breaking Bad is also set in the past, which I'm not sure that many people realise. You have to ignore the weird product placement of 'Rage' (In which it's suddenly made out to be a lightgun game), but there's a conversation early in the most recent run where some characters are talking about zombie games, but they're weirdly dated references.

Also, isn't it flat out stated that only 6 months to a year has passed since Walt's tale started?

Well, you can log time based on his wife's pregnancy. When the show starts she's about 4-5 months pregnant, and in the middle of season three (where I've watched to) the Walt is thrown out of the house for two weeks, adding the week of the plane crash, and then the five weeks of recovery time from his surgery, and then two weeks between the surgery and the scheduled C-section, giving us a total of about ten weeks. So two and a half months, plus the 4 months of pregnancy. So maybe 6 to 7 months give or take (depending on how pregnant she is when the show starts, which I don't think is implicitly stated) to the middle of season three.

Also, the Aztek I think was chosen because it's a terrible car, and probably was a really cheap deal, since is sold so poorly, and is from a discontinued car line. I think it goes to show their their impoverished state.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 15, 2011

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

NGL posted:

Please fix your spoiler tag. I'm only in Season 2.

I'm sorry! Fixed. maybe you want to delete the quote?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

penismightier posted:

It's not a discontinued line when the show is set, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Aztek

It sold very poorly and was discontinued in 2005. The show takes place in 2008, right? Regardless it's a perfect icon to show how poor and non-stylish the White's are. Was it paid product placement, though?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think that if you pull out and zoom in you have an effect where the background pulls in and it looks like the frame crushes. If you do it the other way the background suddenly pulls away like in Vertigo.

I think I heard that Hitchcock invented this, right? I've heard it referred to as a Hitchcock zoom and figured that was why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Baron von Eevl posted:

While we're talking about modern Westerns, how about the remake of 3:10 to Yuma?

I liked it.

I haven't seen the remake, but the original is one of my favorite movies. The pacing is just so slow and grueling, it drives you nuts. It's by the end of the movie you are feeling just as much stress as the characters. I love it when a movie pulls you in like that.