Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

GORDON posted:

Was there an earlier occurrence?

Here's the list from Tropes.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ExtendedDisarming

The two that immediately sprang to mind for me were Sahara and Death Machine but both of those are post Thunderdome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Yeah, it seems to be pretty rare. Here's a reasonable list of big releases that gained in the second weekend. In the past year or two it's just Bolt and The Blind Side. Avatar missed it by a tad.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/smallestdrops.htm?page=SMALLDROP25&p=.htm

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Power of Pecota posted:

What in the world happened with Rumor Has It?

Hah, I don't even know. It opened on Christmas so maybe people deprioritized it till the second post-holiday week. But that doesn't make any historical sense as people don't generally seem to do that.
Edit: Ah, that explains it.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 17, 2010

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I can say in all seriousness that it's not as good as Josie and the Pussycats.

Yeah, I actually told someone that Spice World is for people who haven't seen Josie and the Pussycats. They're both much better than you have any reason to expect but you really can't go back once you've seen Josie.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Carthag posted:

Only good things to happen cause of Oceans 12 are:

1) Vincent Cassel getting some money.
2) Me being made aware of the entire movie's soundtrack (criminally missing La Caution - à la Menthe).

The rest is pure poo poo.

Minor alteration. Really the soundtrack for 12 is beyond amazing. It's also unconscionably missing that particular song. But even still, it's a great soundtrack.

But really the movie is terrible to an absurd degree. Half the characters are almost complete ignored (how the hell do you have access to Bernie Mac and toss him in a jail cell for the entire movie is beyond me) which is made even worse because they are obligated to add even more characters in the movie to match the title.

Really the only thing good about the movie is the music, Kashmir as criminal double speak, and Cassel as the ultimate French rear end in a top hat. That and Linus being bailed out by his mom but they repeat that joke even better in 13 so there's really zero reason to bother with 12 after you've picked up the CD. Just watch 11 and 13 and you're good with barely anything lost.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

That's just...I don't know what. This is what happens when Hollywood writers are spineless and don't stand up against stars.

But yea, the soundtrack to 12 is drat good.

The trivia is that this was an unaffiliated script shoehorned into the Ocean's lineup which explains a ton of the fundamental problems involved. It might even have made sense once upon a time when they only had four or five characters.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Monkeyseesaw posted:

The character of Coffey was far gone but his characterization was the warlike-paranoic to Lindsey's openness and desire to connect. The alien lecture at the end was just Lindsey and Coffey presented as a stock-footage clip-show.

While it is true, the alien aspect of the movie is really fascinating and well interwoven up until that point. But there needs to be something big to finish the movie and whether you go with the "world threatened" or "we've been watching" ending, either way it helps soften the DEM solution to the crippled rig.

I mean the movie has a nice first contact perspective by the midpoint of the movie and a generally well regarded tense action confrontation. If they just magic them up to the surface it would have been kind of awful. At least there's some meaningful interaction and the peeking at the Lindsay/Waterlogged Virgil exchange was kind of touching.

Sure it may be lack of imagination on my part, but I can't really think of a way to end the movie well. At least in the existing endings Virgil "earns" his free pass to the surface by representing the best of humanity.

What would be a better ending for the movie?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
^ ^ ^
Lots of reasons. They're are still a lot of people who complain when their screen isn't filled and for the longest time it was only a few rare shows that stuck to their guns and broadcast letterbox (ER springs to mind). Also you have to consider standard def TV broadcasting to be one of the most compromised ways to watch a movie. They're edited for time, cut for profanity, sex, and violence, plus they've got commercial breaks throwing the pacing out of whack. Really, there's not a lot of call for preserving the artistic integrity of the movie in such a format.

Monkeyseesaw posted:

Yeah but you can't really say the aliens are non-interacting considering they essentially announce their presence by the end of the theatrical by floating their entire city to the surface. It's not like the end of Sphere where everyone goes "what the gently caress happened? ...well, back to be our regular selves with no character growth".

I saw the theatrical version first many times before the special edition but I think the only real differential between theatrical and special edition is that in the former the aliens knock on humanity's door and are all "what up" and in the SE they're "what up, bitches".

The basic breakdown of the story is that humans have brought nuclear weapons to the alien doorstep. Nuclear subs and bombs are literally on top of them, so it isn't quite like The Day the Earth Stood Still where offworlders come down and tell us to cut it out. Any one of our half dozen or so sub failures could be a threat to them and there's no telling what active marine warfare might be like for them. They have a stake and in both the theatrical and SE they raise their stake by making their presence explicitly known.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 4, 2010

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

4:3 is both underused and under appreciated. Some of my favorite movies use that aspect ratio.

This is true in a sense but you could technically say it about nearly any aspect ratio though.

But there's been like four or five decades of television development and how many shows applied any recognizable artistry to the aspect ratio format? Compared to the interesting and useful work done with 1.85:1 and 2.35:1, it certainly didn't capture the imagination. And it's kind of hard to apply the rule of thirds in a confined format like that.

It could certainly be the case that the format was underappreciated but it was used far too many times for far too many extremely creative projects for there to be a lot of additional creative blood to be wrung from that stone. I mean, it's not like it's the IMAX format or something.

BrewingTea posted:

Why do they care what SDTV owners think? If grandma wants to watch "Georgia Rule" then I doubt the black bars are going to stop her.

Hell, even if she does change the channel, she'll probably wind up on a different one owned by the same media conglomerate, so they lose nothing. It's not like people are going to stop watching TV.

There are only like a third of the households in the US with an HDTV (I think it's like 39 mil out of 111 mil). That's far too many eyeballs to not care what they think. And I think any video store clerk will tell you that people will absolutely stop watching something if it has black bars, as in that case they will actually get in a car and drive back to the store to complain about it.

The real problem is that they need to make sure the eyeballs rest in the most lucrative spot. A television ad run on ABC nets a hell of a lot more money than an ad on HGTV. And what if they ended up watching CBS or, god forbid, NBC? The horror.

You are right that the number of shows which letterbox has increased, which is a true positive. But they're not throwaway stuff like movies on a television channel.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 4, 2010

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Quad posted:

This is been my favorite thread to catch up on lately, I'm at page 60. :)
I just saw 12 Monkeys for the first time last night. I'm planning on watching it again soon, but I had a question, spoilered just in case: The "raspy voice" that Cole hears the whole time... in his head? Not? Is the question the whole point and I'm dumb for questioning it?

I guess it might be interpretive but I'm fairly sure it is in his head considering he really is quite insane from the get go. However, the voice is (to my recollection) very, very sane and is reflected in the "advice" he gets from time to time from people. I think it's just the part of his psyche which works despite the insane life and task he is undertaking.

It really is a great movie and I'm now inclined to pop my disc in.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

Why do I feel like i'm the only one who liked the voice overs? Every classic Noir movie has them.

Anyways, someone mentioned Jonah Hex's being full of studio meddling, I'm curious about this. Was it a half decent supernatural Cowboy movies originally and then turned into Wild Wild West 2?

The general problem with the voice overs was Ford's delivery of them and their total redundancy to onscreen information. In only a few cases do they add information not gained elsewhere.

In my opinion, voice overs are best when they give you insight into a character's thought process so that you can appreciate them as well rounded individuals more. BR's feel like Cliff Notes to an interpretive and emotional film

With regards to Jonah Hex, it would take substantial and incredible proof that there was ever a decent movie in the mess that ended up onscreen. The makeup artists were really good but that's about it.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

SkunkDuster posted:

I remember reading about how the New Line Cinema logo was very clever, but I didn't really understand the terms used to describe why it was so clever. Something to do with a split audio track or something like that. Can somebody explain to a layman what the symbolism of their logo is?

Here's a breakdown of the logo evolution. There's mention that Michael Kamen composed the audio portion of the logo so perhaps it is related to that?

http://www.closinglogos.com/page/New+Line+Cinema

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Diligent Deadite posted:

Was there ever anything akin to the video nasty http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_nasty moral panic in the US? It seems like it was a curiously British phenomenon and I've always wondered if there was any kind of home video moral crusade in other countries.

Home video specific? I can't say so, but that was probably because we had developed a deep rich foam working ourselves up in a lather with the Hays Code for decades.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hays_code

Edit: I should also mention non-institutional situations like WalMart "cuts" of films and music (usually reflected in cover art and explicit language) and that whole CleanFlicks enterprise. For the former, because of their then policies, some movies were specifically crafted to have R-rated cuts so that they could be sold in their stores.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 28, 2010

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

kapalama posted:

Inception : summer popcorn or something more?

(IMDB users have it in the top 5 of all time, which stuns me.)

In my opinion nothing with that much dialogue can be popcorn. Whatever you take of the movie, it really couldn't be considered popcorn for being 2hrs and 30m and that much discussion.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Does it really have more dialogue than Independence Day, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, Avatar or a dozen of other popcorn films over 2:30. I do think Inception is much better than those and has value beyond simple entertainment, but citing length and quantity of dialogue is not the way to prove it.

I really do think it has far more dialogue. Especially when you consider so much of the dialogue happens without the punctuation of comic relief of your typical Bruckheimer movie. That's coupled with how much of the dialogue is kind of necessary to make sense of what happens later. I mean, ID4 really only needs people to understand the "virus upload, shields down" stuff because the rest is pretty above board combat/disaster survival and one nifty speech. Armageddon is not far off of Inception in terms of how much they talk about what's going to happen (via the NASA briefings) and they're pretty necessary to understand what they're drilling, but it is again coupled with comic relief constantly as a relief valve for people with short attention spans. Avatar doesn't have a lot of dialogue at all, really.

If you imagine watching any of these 2.5hr movies with the sound off, which one would you be more lost on? I think a popcorn movie is pretty much the kind of movie that you could be watching dubbed in a foreign language and lose nothing other than verbal humor. But popcorn movies often do as much physical humor so that's not a tremendous loss.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I love the extremely obvious black jump ramps added to the grey streets for the very first The Fast and the Furious.

It's kind of amazing because they shot it from the bottom of a hill and it was still amazingly obvious.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

kapalama posted:

Anyone ever seen Bliss, the 1985 autralian movie? Has it ever come out on DVD?

Only in Region 4 to the best of my knowledge.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Schweinhund posted:

Anyone know the source of Hitchcock's quote about Spielberg when he said he was "the first one of us who doesn't see the proscenium arch" supposedly with regard to Jaws?

Sounds like it was Pauline Kael in 1976.

quote:

Pauline Kael described having a drink in 1976 with an unnamed director of the older generation who said of Spielberg, "He must have never seen a play; he's the first one of us who doesn't think in terms of the proscenium arch. With him, there's nothing but the camera lens"

Google Books

Edit:

sursumdeorsum posted:

I have no idea, but if someone could explain what he meant by this it would be appreciated.

I think it means that he wasn't considering normal standards for stage work in creating his movies. While many movies have lots of scenes of driving or perhaps an open area, they often aim to get to a scene that's more stage-like - a room, a defined space, a place where you could have one or more scenes with a fixed camera if you wanted to.

What he would be saying is that Spielberg didn't appear to think in terms of a stage and was approaching it entirely from the perspective of a camera. He didn't have a "fixed audience" concept in mind where things off stage/outside of the camera didn't exist.

I find it always interesting how different movies made by playwrights or theater-folk are because not only is their dialogue different, but the way they film is also different. People enter Stage Left all the time. That's just my interpretation. I grew up on post-theatre material so I think I see the scenario in reverse. Films shot like plays stick out to me, not the other way around.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 11, 2010

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

morestuff posted:

Wow, whoever maintains that site is seriously dedicated and probably crazy.

It's the english version of this site run by Germans. So yeah, crazy. Indispensable but insanely dedicated and precise.
http://www.schnittberichte.com/

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Zogo posted:

I recently watched Training Day. Was Alonzo planning to have Jake killed from the beginning or was it only because Jake was objecting to what was going on?

Planning, yes. But he was hedging his bets. He wanted a new "team player" but you can't recruit for this without knowing some people won't "join the team". So like Max Zorin you have to be ready to shove people out of your blimp if they make trouble.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

muscles like this? posted:

"The climax was going to be a humorous existential dialogue between agents J and K and the Bug, but the studio called for a more action-packed climax, so it was changed to the Bug getting blown up."

Good choice. The movie needs an action climax and it sounds like it would have been as awful as Matrix Reloaded "conversation" ending. Especially if the existing description of the bug was in the original script because he was hardly established as a big thinker.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Lao Tsu posted:

Why do people hate it?

Yeah, he hit the nail on the head. Outside of almost a singularly good line, there's so, so very little in it that meets the quality of the first two.

There are a lot of repeated concepts, plots, and characters in the third so you lack the refreshing nature of seeing both prequel and sequel elements from GF2. The new character casting is very underwhelming with Andy Garcia trying too hard on a bad character who is worse than his incarnations from the other GF movies. Bridget Fonda is, as always, a pretty girl who should not be given dialogue. Sofia is even more awful, which would not be so bad if her character were not more central (luckily much better behind the camera in later years).

Unfortunately, coming off a series of films that were both epic but also focused stories, GF3 just isn't about anything really. It's just events with characters you're familiar with. Very disappointing but you really can't expect that a decade and a half later they could have put something together that stylistically and thematically could match up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
The Vacation series may have different actors for the kids in every single film.

Edit: Motherfucker, they got the original Audrey to return for Christmas Vacation 2: Cousin Eddie's Island Adventure so it was a record of recasting which lasted 20 years and four films and broken with the fifth. Bummer.

Edit2: It should be mentioned that B-movie DTV series have lots of sequels with recast leads as one action star is replaced with another after they get tired or whatever. I figure you're after more reputable stuff than that.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 1, 2011