Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Alright so The Man who Came to Dinner was just on TCM and seems to have gotten pretty good reviews but something is nagging me about it. The film is basically 2 hours of a rich white entitled jackass author dicking around these people who were gracious enough to invite him to dinner. He slips on their steps, threatens to sue them (for 150k in 1941 dollars) so now he gets to stay in their house for at least a month, brings all these exotic animals into their house, snatching away the love of his assistant's life and stealing their butler. At the end of all this he gets away with it, slips on their steps and has to stay in their house again.

This guy could not have been more of an utter dick to these innocent people and yet people seem to be lining up to suck his dick over it, am I the only person who just seems to be annoyed that the movie is about him dicking over people for no reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I haven't read the book myself but I'm told that in it Tony is Danny communicating with himself from the future using the Shining. He goes by Tony because his full name is Daniel Anthony or something like that.

Which is an alright twist but I like the movies approach of not explaining at all is much more satisfying.

Reading the synopsis of the book after having seen the movie is the most bizarre loving thing, like I'm sure the book itself is a fine read but trying to imagine what happens in the book like the movie is just surreal.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I like how the black guy's first line in this video is "Hello you old bitch", classic.

edit: I don't know why but this is hilarious, I don't even think it's particularly bad, maybe it's just because I remember all these scenes from the movie version and it's all just slightly different and weird in this.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

This is probably going to be a pretty obscure question buuuuuttt.... in the Argentina film Nueve Reinas, Marcos -- just around right before him and Juan decide to really team up and go to the hotel and everything -- calls someone on a payphone and just says something to the effect of "go through with it", watching it at the time it seemed like it was setting him up to pull some trick on Juan but I can't remember that phonecall ever coming up again. Was there any point to it or was it just a red herring?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

How would I go about finding pieces written about specific movies? When I was taking film classes it was a lot easier since there was assigned readings coming from a textbook and who knows where else, but I'm not really sure where to go outside of a class. Is it mostly searchable through something like JSTOR or do I have to wait for full books to be published with the material I want?

Let's say for example, The Assassin (2015), everything I've found through google so far is just a lovely review with barely any meat, or David Bordwell's blog.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I saw two roadshow-style screening this week -- Hateful Eight and 2001 -- both with overtures and intermissions. How do the general screenings and home releases usually work for roadshow movies? Like do they just cut out the overture and intermission and show the rest of the movie? In both movies the overtures and intermissions had a good role in the movies and it seems lame if they just dropped them for the DVD.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I just watched Oblivion. Is it just me or does that movie kind of have a lot of imagery of a man leaving his wife for someone else? The idyllic home life of Jack, Victoria saying "We are an effective team" repeatedly to the mission's 'mother', Jack leaving the base for Julia over Victoria's protests, Jack being locked out of his house when he returns with Julia and Victoria admitting that they are no longer an effective team.

I can see them using it to evoke the right emotions as the movie develops, but at some points it felt like I was watching a science fiction movie about an apocalyptic future straight out of a book, and then I was watching a movie about a man leaving his wife (in terms of what it felt like). It felt like two movies in one somehow. What were they trying to go for with that?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

It's stuff like that that make me wish movies just used the phrase 'science device' whenever there's a magic device that does some science thing instead of giving it an actual name.

But wait a minute, in Batman Begins they use a microwave device to enact their masterplan, but won't a microwave end up caus--NOPE, the villains are using a science device to do their plan, it works because it is a science device that is doing science to cause mayhem and mischief. Can't fault a science device!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

T2 has some good shots of stuntpeople in place of Edward Furlong, a 12 year old boy playing a 10 year old. Watch the bike chase down the LA river and you'll see a few shots of a 10 year old boy on a dirt bike who appears to have aged 30 years in some shots.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

xcore posted:

Wow, he was only 12? That dude had some chops (although it's been a while since I've seen it and my be getting confused with his American History X performance)

Well turns out it was 13 through 14, not 12, but still pretty young.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I mean we all came from Africa originally, aren't we all truly coloured??

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

SubG posted:

Check out the mainland Chinese poster for The Force Awakens (2015).

Oh, right. Is it racist to call Chinese people for the most part racist?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

ninjahedgehog posted:

Random thought that popped in my head just now: Has there ever been a movie that had a trailer, but the full film was never released? This happens to video games all the time, but I'm guessing that movie trailers are rarely, if ever, made before filming is finished.

Not sure about a trailer, but The Day the Clown Cried was fully filmed and ready to be released until Jerry Lewis realized what a terrible idea it would be to release the film and has held on to it tightly ever since.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

How much is Octavia Spencer onscreen in The Shape of Water? I can't stand her and won't watch anything she's in but that movie is now streaming on HBO and I've certainly heard many good things.

I just have to know, why do you have such a revulsion towards her? Is there something specific, or does she just kind of bug you in some unquantifiable way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'd say unquantifiable way. Some acting people just annoy me and I'd rather just not watch stuff they're in, isn't that true for everybody? I'd say nobody annoys me more than Octavia Spencer or Seth MacFarlane. I'm sorry my opinions are wrong and stupid.

Nah I totally get what you mean, I wasn't sure how I could word that in a way that didn't sound judgemental. We all have those people that for whatever reason just trigger something in our brain to make us not like them.