Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Tender Bender posted:

In Fargo, why is Prince credited as Victim in Field? It's clearly not him.

If you look closely, it's not actually Prince; it's just a symbol that looks a lot like it.

According to the IMDb:

quote:

Despite hints to the contrary at the time of the film's release and in the closing credits, Prince does not play the Victim in the Field; this is J. Todd Anderson, who was actually a storyboard artist on the film. This was yet another Coen Brothers in-joke, since Prince was a famous native of Minneapolis, Minnesota. To further muddle matters, this moment in the film was memorialized in a "Snow-Globe" promotion included with a special edition version of the DVD, subtly hinting that the dead victim in the snow was a famous cameo.
And, according to Snopes, here's the explanation - take with a grain of salt, as I can't find any evidence of this elsewhere, but it sounds right.

quote:

The Coen brothers like a good in-joke as much as anybody. Next time you view Fargo, look for the name of the actor who played "the man in the field." You'll discover the entry listed as an odd squiggle that looks very much like Prince's signature. (I'm told the fellow who actually filled that role was J. Todd Anderson, one of the Coen's storyboard artists. The squiggle is Prince's signature laid on its side with a smiley face added. Wonderful joke, that. Laid on its side because the character is lying dead in a field.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Mr. Gone posted:

Can anyone pinpoint when/why DVDs started carrying the disclaimer that commentary tracks do not represent the views of the production and distribution companies?

I hate that chickenshit disclaimer, and I always wonder why they started putting that in, because I'm certain that it's not there on a ton of my older DVDs. For some reason I think I remember first seeing it on the One Hour Photo DVD.

I was trying to find an answer to this, when I stumbled upon this, which makes your question seem tame:

quote:

The worst example of this I saw was the DVD to Scary Movie 3. Not a great movie, but as I was curious of the commentary, I selected commentary. It then prompted a menu stating a legal agreement for me not to sue, and the button to play the commentary was actually- get this- labeled "I Agree." What the hell? When I'm playing a DVD, I don't want to feel like I'm signing a legal document! I immediately ejected it and returned it to Blockbuster.
Lord. That's taking it to an even more extreme level.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Dacap posted:

Which is the best version of the Army of Darkness DVD? I have the first 2 Evil Deads in the Book of The Dead editions, but I've lost hope that they'll release AOD in that format so I'm looking for the best one to complete the trilogy.

I'm primarily concerned with audio/video quality, but It'd be nice to know which has the best features too. For the record, I prefer the S-Mart ending over the Apocalypse one. I'm willing to look on eBay if the better version is OOP.

There is a version that gives you both cuts called the Boomstick edition, which seems to be the best available. That's what I've got, and it's very nice.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

blindhaberdasher posted:

So a while back there was this thread about pictures of great directors, and there was this one really cool picture of a director holding up a filmstrip and looking at it with sunglasses on and a cigarette in his mouth. I forget who it was (I keep thinking it was Fellini but I'm not sure) and if anyone remembers this picture and can tell me who it was or better yet post the picture here, that would be cool.

Jean-Luc Godard:

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Dr. Coffee posted:

The Exorcist

Just finished watching it for the first time I would hate to miss some deeper meaning with the ending. The film ends with the detective entering into a conversation with the singing priest almost verbatim with how he chatted with the boxing priest halfway through the film. Cop asks priest if he wants to see a movie. Cops explains how he loves films and gets good tickets all the time. A title and leading actors are described. Priest states that he already saw it. Cop is disappointed in a passive agressive way. He also mentions that the singing priest is 'another one', or something along those lines.

This seems rather mundane, but the way they highlighted it in the movie made it seem so drat important. I really want to know what this has to do with the larger story.

Also, what is the significance of the silver medallion?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I was too scared to correctly analyze it.

Did you watch the "director's" cut? I don't think the film originally ended that way. Ebert thought it was a pretty pointless change, and it might make you feel better about over-analyzing something that didn't seem to be much desired in the first place:

quote:

4. The original ending of "The Exorcist" shows Regan and her mother leaving their house for the last time. "She doesn't remember any of it," her mother tells Father Dyer. Regan greets him politely, focuses on his Roman collar and suddenly hugs him. They get in the car, which begins to pull away, and then stops so that Chris can give the priest Father Merrin's medal, found in Regan's room. His hand closes over it. The car drives away. The priest looks down the fatal stairs below Regan's bedroom window. He turns away. Music and fadeout.

In the new version, after Chris gives Dyer the medal, he gives it back to her, and her hand closes over it. This is an unnecessary extra beat, but nothing compared to what follows. As the car drives away, Dyer looks down the stairs, walks toward the house and encounters Kinderman (Lee J. Cobb), the police detective. They have a conversation about movies--some nonsense about a version of "Wuthering Heights" starring Jackie Gleason and Lucille Ball. Hello? An ending that struck the perfect closing note has been replaced by one that jars and clangs and thumbs its nose at the film.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Artem posted:

Why is the movie Brazil titled as such? I know that song that he hums at the end is called Brasil or something, but other than that is there any connection with the name of the movie and something else?

From The Brazil FAQ, here's the explanation from Gilliam himself, along with some other interesting facts about the title, culminating in an incredibly :wtf: list of alternative titles:

quote:

What is the title BRAZIL supposed to mean?

Certainly BRAZIL is an enigmatic title for a movie that seems to have nothing to do with the country of Brazil. One of the drafts of the screenplay was entitled The Ministry of Torture, or Brazil, or How I Learned to Live with the System -- So Far, and Gilliam also considered calling his screenplay 1984 1/2. Many of the drafts appear to have simply been titled The Ministry. In the book The Battle of Brazil, Gilliam explains where the inspiration stemmed from, while he was in Port Talbot, Wales:

"Port Talbot is a steel town, where everything is covered with gray iron ore dust. Even the beach is completely littered with dust, its just black. The sun was setting, and it was quite beautiful. The contrast was extraordinary, I had this image of a guy sitting there on this dingy beach with a portable radio, tuning in these strange Latin escapist songs like 'Brazil.' The music transported him somehow and made his world less gray."

Sid Sheinberg didn't like the title, and had the Universal staff submit suggestions for a new title. These suggestions included the titles:

If Osmosis, Who Are You?
Some Day Soon
Vortex
Day Dreams and Night Tripper
What a Future!
Litterbugs
The Works
Skylight City
You Show Me Your Dream...
Access
Arresting Developments
Nude Descending Bathroom Scale
Lords of the Files
Dreamscape
The Staplegunners
Progress
Forever More
The Right to Bear Arms
Explanada Fortunata Is Not My Real Name
All Too Soon
Chaos
Where Were We?
Disconnected Parties
Blank/Blank
Erotic
Shadow Time
Maelstrom
Forces of Darkness
The Man in the Custom Tailored T-shirt
Fold, Spindle, Mutilate
Can't Anybody Here Play the Cymbals?
Sign on High
The Ball Bearing Electro Memory Circuit Buster
This Escalator Doesn't Stop At Your Station
Gnu Yak, Gnu Yak, and Other Bestial Places.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I honestly don't understand what most of these even mean, let alone what they have to do with the movie.

I know. I have to wonder if it was one of those things where people just wrote really stupid things on there, like you did when sheets went around in high school.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Miniseries, miniseries, a million times miniseries. The only place worth buying it has them both in the same package anyway.

I have the theatrical recorded off of Turner Classic. Delete it unwatched and wait for the miniseries, or is the theatrical worth seeing on its own?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Just finished re-watching For a Few Dollars More. Does anyone know what the name of the song that plays as the watch unwinds is? I would love to find a copy of the track online (not :filez:, I mean legitimately), but I don't even know the title, which makes it hard to find.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Sixty Seconds to What?

Thanks! Unfortunately, all the versions I can find are some different version. Oh well. Thanks!

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Binowru posted:

I've seen "Yellow Submarine" and "A Hard Day's Night." Are any of the other Beatles movies worth watching if you're not a huge fan?

I remember Help! being closer in tone to Airplane! and being hilarious, but it's been a long time since I saw it.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Rake Arms posted:

Is that the one where Ringo gets the magic ring stuck on his finger? I caught part of it on TV and it seemed pretty funny.

Yep, that's the one.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

I watched Barton Fink the other day but I really don't get what the ending was supposed to be about, basically from the return of John Goodman on. So could someone please enlighten me?

Well, it's obviously all open to interpretation. But here's a few thoughts.

I'm assuming your question starts with the hotel bursting into flames. The easiest figurative assumption is that Barton is in hell. I saw someone argue once that Barton dies halfway through the film, after going to bed with Judy Davis's character; when he wakes up, everything starts to go horribly wrong.

One way or the other, it seems to me that the Hotel clearly is a life in hell. Charlie/Mundt is a miserable human being - he is devoid of true human connection, makes a living being abused and mistreated by people, and kills out of range and anger out of the world he's so out of place in. Then he meets Barton, a snooty, condescending prick who views himself as "in touch with the common man" when he couldn't give two shits about what real common people are like. And Charlie snaps the rest of the way, killing Judy Davis's character and showing Barton a taste of what truly common and horrible life really is.

The fire, it seems to me, is Barton finally realizing what the hotel is, or you could view it as Charlie/Mundt showing Barton the realities of life in a living hell. Whether you want to view Charlie/Mundt as the devil or just a lost soul (and maybe Chet as the devil), the hotel is the home of the lost and the damned - a home which Barton is destined to join. His career is "dead" at the studio - his script is seen as the phony garbage it is, and the studio basically puts him into purgatory.

As for the final shot...well, you got me there. I do know that the crashing bird was a complete accident, though.

I think part of why Barton Fink is one of my favorite movies is that you're not really sure exactly what is going on. What I put up is some theories, but the movie remains stubbornly elusive, and I love that about it. Hell, you don't even know what's "real" or not at certain points.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Dr. Coffee posted:

Also the Coens are waiting for Tuturro to age a little bit more but they are very interested in making a sequel about Fink dealing with the red scare in the 60's.

This would be incredible. Where did you hear that?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

The other day I recorded The Dam Busters off of TCM. Irritatingly, either my guide or TCM's clock was off, because my recording, even set to start early, started a little into the movie. The first thing I have recorded is a boardroom-looking scene with people arguing about how "Mr. Wallace has come up with a theory that was so far afield that we wasted time" with it or something like that.

So my question: is this the beginning of the film (at least, right after opening credits)? Or have I missed a lot? I tend to be anal about seeing all of a film, and so if I'm missing a lot, I'm not going to watch it, and I'll just record it again. How much am I missing?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Parachute posted:

Speaking of Josh Brolin I was looking through IMDB to see if I could find any other movies he may have been in that I overlooked, and I came across Nightwatch starring Ewan McGregor, Josh Brolin, Nick Nolte, and Patricia Arquette. It sounds interesting enough, and I'm thinking of renting it tonight. Any thoughts on the film?

Don't. There's loads of style, but the substance is so weak and insipid that it becomes a chore. How great of a horror movie/thriller should you be able to set in a hospital morgue after hours? And yet all the most unsettling moments of the film come before the terrible, terrible story really gets going. The killer is pretty insanely obvious, big chunks of the plot make little to no sense, the denouement is just...well, it's there.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

The Remote Viewer posted:

Are there any good 'serious' film podcasts? (By serious I mean the opposite of something like AICN's previews)

I really, really like The Treatment, with Elvis Mitchell. Mitchell is one of the best interviewers around, and he has a habit of either really creating deep conversations about the film or exposing the director as an idiot who doesn't know what they're talking about. Either way, I really like it. More info here: http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/tt

The AV Club has started doing theirs as well, which is largely just a review-type discussion of the film. I wish they did spoiler versions where they really discussed the film in-depth, but still, it's interesting to hear them discuss the films and hash out why they liked it. You can browse the recent episodes here. http://www.avclub.com/features/av-talk/

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

codyclarke posted:

I've always been a fan of Elvis Mitchell's reviews. Had no idea he did these podcasts. Which episodes are the best?

Hard to say. Tarantino is always a great interview on here, as is Aronofsky. More recently, Bobcat Goldthwait was awesome - he was obviously a big fan and it showed. And Tod Philips' interview for The Hangover was really bizarre - it's all going fine and then he just starts getting pissy and attacking Elvis for panning Old School. Really odd.

Honestly, I can only think of a few bad ones. Pretty much every interview is fascinating, even if only for Mitchell. I've ended up really learning a lot about movies that I liked (I really loved the interview with Refn for Bronson) and being way more curious about stuff I would have never checked out. It's well worth just subscribing.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Fairly famously, wasn't the lab in Young Frankenstein the original lab set from Frankenstein?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

NeuroticErotica posted:

That's mostly TV's problem, they've changed a lot more than feature movies have.

Yeah... I just don't know where to start...

Maybe an Ask/Tell type thread posted in CD? Outline your job and experience, then let people ask questions?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

fenix down posted:

This has probably been asked before, but has there ever been a remake of a movie or TV show that rose above the source material or got good reviews?

The only one I could think of was The Man Who Knew Too Much - but it doesn't seem like that one would count.

Ocean's 11 tends to be a lot more loved as a remake than the original, from what I've seen.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Slasherfan posted:

Anyone visit https://www.spill.com ? It's noti working for me today, the background is coming up but nothing else, was wondering if it's just me.

I just clicked on that link and it worked fine. May just be you (however, I am in America, so it might be your side of the world, too).

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Keanu Reeves, who is usually considered a terrible actor, is absolutely fantastic in The Gift. It's a surprisingly great job from him.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Akuma posted:

Wikipedia tells me it's implied he gets caught.

Yep. That being said, apart from the last 10 seconds, Purple Noon is spectacular - a great little piece of suspense.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Green Vulture posted:

- Edward Norton and Tony Kaye butting heads over the editing of American History X; since New Line backed Norton, Kaye essentially got locked out of the editing room. So rather than appeal through the normal channels to get the situation resolved, Kaye took out ads in Daily Variety slamming Norton and New Line, filed a $200 million lawsuit against New Line, ordered the DGA to list him as "Humpty Dumpty" as opposed to the standard "Alan Smithee" pseudonym, and brought a priest, a rabbi and a monk into a meeting with New Line over the final cut. Yes, he actually brought a live-action setup to a joke into a production meeting. I think the movie is pretty dumb, but I am curious to see what Kaye's version looks like.

A couple of years ago, I saw Tony Kaye present Lake of Fire, and afterward I got to talk to him about stuff he was working on. He said that one thing he was trying to edit together was the behind the scenes footage of AMX that he shot himself during the whole process. He mentioned that he was putting it together for a feature length documentary, but I don't know what ever happened to it. I would love to see that some time.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

If you count direct to DVD, there are 64 years between Bambi and Bambi II.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

No, it's basically Forrest Gump but way more boring

This man knows what's up. There's an opening vignette about a guy who designs a clock that's pretty compelling. Unfortunately, it's better than the rest of the movie combined, which takes an interesting premise and does absolutely nothing of consequence with it. Well filmed (as you'd expect), but completely inert and fairly lifeless, with a framing story whose arbitrary nature is almost offensive in its use of Katrina.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Trump posted:

This is slighty off-topic, so my apologies.

Is there any way to get the old IMDB entry layout back? The new one is absolutely horrendous. It's cluttered with huge pictures and actually makes it a chore to find information quickly. Why is it webdesigners feel that they should design a site vertically, when every monitor made in the last 10 have more horizontal space?

For some reason, the new design only shows up on one of my computers, so I figure it should be possible to force it to show it old school somehow.

Yes. If you have an account there (it's free), there's a checkbox under preferences to go back to the old page design.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Jacques Diarrhida posted:

Okay there's a trailer here for a movie called "The Thr3e"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdAw98ZYVkk

Does this have anything to do with Adaptation at all? The comments, the dedication, it all seems too much to be a hoax. But it's not real, is it? I don't know anymore...

Okay, here's the deal with this: this is based on a book by a guy named Ted Dekker, who's mainly known for Christian thrillers. This was his big "breakout" book, pitched more mainstream. Apparently he wrote it before Adaptation came out, and to his mind the plot which is about a guy who is the same person as the person threatening him and as a girl he knows was totally original. Then he sees Adaptation and hears the pitch for the movie within the movie and starts to get really upset. Did someone steal his idea? He eventually concedes that it's just coincidence, that the movie was in the works far too long to have lifted his idea.

All of this comes from his afterword to the book, which I scanned through at the grocery store after a friend of mine read the book. What's hilarious to me is that it never seems to occur to him that the plot is being made fun of.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

kapalama posted:

I read somewhere that the original test screening of American Beauty was a version where the entire story was told in flashbacks from the point of view of the trial of the daughter and boyfriend for the murder of the Kevin Spacey character. It bombed in test screenings, and was basically completed reformulated with the narration by Kevin Spacey. None of the other actors were aware of the drastic reformulation of the movie (since it required only voice over and no additional shooting) and were shocked at the premiere. (apperently the movie was written as a musing on the Amy Fisher shooting.)

Did I just have a really cool dream, or did this actually happen?

A while back, someone bought me an original script for American Beauty, and this is exactly the movie's framework. It opens and closes with info about the trial. The video that opens the film (in which Thora Birch talks about killing her dad) is leaked to the media by Lester's real killer (if you've seen the movie, this is the same character). The opening is set up to make the guy and girl seem very guilty. The movie then plays out the same as it does, but as it ends, we come back to the trial and see everything with the new perspective.

The movie ends with Lester's ghost narrating a look at everyone's lives. The biggest loss about this is that Conrad Hall said this ending was his best work on the film, and given how gorgeous his cinematography is in the rest of the movie, I wish we could see that.

I dunno about the audience, though.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

I apologize if this was asked before, but Donnie Darko, normal vs Director's Cut. Got both in the netflix queue, One ought to go, which is the better version?

FWIW, I have seen the original version when it first came out, getting it for the wife.

Most people seem to prefer the original, which is more ambiguous and leaves a lot more of the events up to the viewer's interpretation. The director's cut makes the film more explicitly clear, reinforcing the idea that the film is essentially a sci-fi time-travel movie with very clear rules. Does that make any sense?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

rorty posted:

Are there any particularly nice examples of moments in film production where an accident/mistake/budget limitation has led to a moment of serendipity that actually made the film better?

I'm drawing an absolute blank. The larger an impact it had on the film or the more iconic the mistake became the better but anything interesting.
Is it cheating to say the entirety of Apocalypse Now?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Rake Arms posted:

Definitely the scenes with Kurtz. Brando didn't lose the weight he was supposed to, so they hid him in shadows for most of his shots, and the result is amazing.
Also, if I remember right, he refused to memorize his lines and basically came up with all of his own dialogue.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Okay, question about Fires on the Plain - very early on in the movie (right after the opening credits), the protagonist meets a guy living in the woods who offers him some yams. He says he has to go get them. After he leaves, our protagonist calls him a bastard, sees he's disappeared, and kicks over the pot that was cooking.

So, I'm really confused about that scene. Why did he freak out when the guy ran off? Why not eat the guy's food? Am I missing something really obvious?

codyclarke posted:

Stuff about the title for Reservoir Dogs

I once sent that trivia to Ebert, who was having a discussion about the title for the movie. He actually wrote me back and said he had heard that story, and could easily see Tarantino telling it himself, but that he couldn't really see how you could get Reservoir Dogs out of any mispronunciation of Au Revoir Les Enfants.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

morestuff posted:

I choose to believe that story, though, because I can't think of any other rational reason why someone would title their movie Reservoir Dogs.

I've read some people say it's an homage to a scene in Body Double. I've never seen it, so I can't comment.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

The Criterion set of Brazil has a fascinating documentary called "The Battle for Brazil," which gets into Gilliam's struggle to get the movie released the way he wanted it. What makes it particularly fascinating is the fact that the set also includes what's become known as the "Love Conquers All" edit of the film that was recut by the studio, and is a compelling testament to the power of editing, as well as a look at the trainwreck that could have been.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

I got the Fanny and Alexander Criterion blu-ray set for Christmas, so I'm finally able to watch the miniseries version (I've been holding off on watching it at all so I could see the full version). Two questions: is the miniseries still broken up into episodes on the blu-ray release? And if so, how long are the episodes?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Zogo posted:

It was broken up on the Criterion DVD into 4 episodes IIRC:

1- 1:32:37
2- 1:15:06
3- 56:54
4- 1:26:38

Awesome - thank you so much! That is odd that they vary so much (you'd think a TV miniseries would be consistent), but works for me. Thanks again for the info.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Has anyone ever seen the movie The Sicilian Clan? I recorded it off of HBO, and was kind of surprised to find that it's dubbed in English. But I don't know if that's the original release or not. Is there an original version out there, or is this the "official" release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

I recorded The Protector off of IFC (I figure if I record it, I can at least skip the loving commercials), only to discover that it was a horribly, HORRIBLY dubbed version of the movie. But my question is this: many of the scenes STILL had subtitles included, even though it was dubbed into English; more to the point, most of them didn't really match the things that were being said. I mean, the general sentiment was the same, but the words were different and the diction off.

Can someone explain why this is? Who the hell thought the movie needed to be dubbed but also keep its subtitles? Is this just one hosed up version of the movie courtesy of the Weinsteins?

(I ended up quitting on the movie, by the way. The dubbing was just too horrible.)