Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Spatulater bro! posted:

I would think, if done well and sparingly, a movie like this could create a hell of a lot of tension by keeping it up. The audience would be on their guard even through the most seemingly mundane scene.

What about something like the final scene of the sopranos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Is there a film that has less music or score than No Country For Old Men?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
It's basically nothing. It's striking

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Good Gin is A+ on its own. You can even go buy some and try it out for yourself!

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Did I miss someone say Oldboy? It's kinda in the middle since it seems like free will..

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Not counting crazy sfxmovies, the edit is not what you think. Non Linear editing allows for almost anything to happen. You might realize a shot seems dumb after the shot you thought, but editing scenes into an intro as a flash/back forward might change the way you view the whole structure. It's very fluid and lays heavily on an editor who understands the movie/short/commercial etc.

That's why the editor is so important and why many directors rely on one or two editors for all their films. If it was just putting the shots after each other in the order of the script everything would be hosed.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Depends on the size of the job. I work primarily in commercials so you have an editor, colorist, sound mixer etc all on the same spot. I'm sure indie films have one guy do everything, and on features you can have everything get exponentially bigger

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Boinks posted:

A few years back I started to notice the amount of cuts increasing in TV shows and it would give me a headache cause I couldn't tune it out. I've gotten used to it though.

Go watch some Diners Drive-Ins and Dives episodes from around season 8-9. I got seasick from them cutting like 3 or 4 times per second.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Also rotoing is used if you use an image shot on green and you want to insert it into a shot. Tracking isn’t always perfect on things like hair and you have to use frame by frame roto work to make it look right when inserted into another scene. Roto work is hard and long but does wonders

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Agracorn

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Parachute posted:

you should watch punch drunk love imo

its the best movie of all time

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Enos Cabell posted:

I wouldn't go that far, but then again I haven't watched it since it was in the theater. I'd agree that it's Sandlers best movie though.

It’s subjectively my favorite is all.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
There are entire music libraries for "sounds like" tunes. way cheaper than licensing a real song but for a branded instagram/social post etc its perfect.

Famously Explosions in the Sky were approached to do the theme song for Friday Night Lights the TV show, and they said no. So the producers just got W.G. Snuffy to replicate their sound

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I unironically enjoy Sorkin and this movie was not good. Goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Are there any sci-fi movies slated to come out next year (or even at the end of this one) that might be, um, good? Usually there's at least one or two "thinking man's" science fiction films that still come out per year, recent examples being Arrival and Annihilation.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Are there any sci-fi movies slated to come out next year (or even at the end of this one) that might be, um, good? Usually there's at least one or two "thinking man's" science fiction films that still come out per year, recent examples being Arrival and Annihilation.

Prospect should come out on streaming next year, that looks good.