Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

the Bunt posted:

This is only barely related but I don't know where else to ask this kind of question. Is Full Sail a good or bad idea for someone trying to get into the film industry?

I can't speak with any authority about the film industry in general, but a friend of mine went to Full Sail, and she thought it was worthless. They're very over-priced (she has tens of thousands of dollars in tuition debt, now) for what they offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

OctoberBlues posted:

I visited my parents recently (who have a new HDTV) and my father told me to make sure that every time a show came on in 4:3 (or in his words "has the black bars on the sides") to switch it so it gets stretched out. He said the guy at the store told him that the black bars could burn the image into the screen and hurt the picture. Even if the show is only half an hour. I recall TVs having those kinds of problems years ago, but is it still an issue? From what you guys are saying, it sounds like it's not a problem.

I think it used to be a problem with rear-projection TVs. I had one that would put gray bars instead of black on the sides to minimize burn-in.

But, with modern screens (LCD, plasma, etc.) it shouldn't happen.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Penpal posted:

Also, a general movie question: Have any really good DP's gone on to direct really good films?

Jan DeBont was the DP on a bunch of great action films including "Die Hard" and "The Hunt for Red October".

I know most of the films he directed suck, but "Speed" was good. I wouldn't call it "really good" but it wasn't bad.

BrewingTea fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 6, 2010

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

quote != edit

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Monkeyseesaw posted:

Does anyone know why Cameron shot it this way? This seems like a really convoluted way to shoot a scene that already has a well-established technique. Was the camera panning behind them or something? I've never seen it in motion.

In that scene, they open a big hole in the terminator's head, so they needed a dummy to do that, but they wanted Arnie on-camera to speak his lines (giving instructions relating to the surgery), hence the trick with the "mirror".

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I still don't know why Michael goes in to saying "Nothing but hell shits". At least that's what it sounds like.

"Nothing but health poo poo."

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

axleblaze posted:

I really have to dislike a movie to flat out stop watching it. There's a part of me that really wants to know how it ends, no matter how uninteresting the movie has been.

I was so bored by Funny Games but I wanted to see how it ended, so I just started fast-forwarding. It kinda weirded me out when one of the characters picked up a remote and undid my handiwork.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Why do they care what SDTV owners think? If grandma wants to watch "Georgia Rule" then I doubt the black bars are going to stop her.

Hell, even if she does change the channel, she'll probably wind up on a different one owned by the same media conglomerate, so they lose nothing. It's not like people are going to stop watching TV.

(Actually, I've noticed a lot of shows are letterboxed, now, so I think people are getting less annoyed with it.)

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

How many loving characters named Red can you have in one movie? One is too many if you ask me.

Morgan Freeman would like a word with you.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

VoodooXT posted:

In effect, he ended up reframing ALL the movies he worked on for Univisium. So all his beautiful compositions done in the Scope aspect ratio are loving ruined.

THANKS A LOT, VITTORIO.

No, no, he always intended for his compositions to look like that, he just didn't have the technology at the time.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Human Tornada posted:

This probably gets asked a lot but which DVD version of the original Night of the Living Dead should I get, assuming I don't care about extras and only want the best quality transfer?

I got the Elite Entertainment version, and it's pretty great. It's "THX Digitally Mastered" for what that's worth. Also, it has commentary tracks from Romero and the cast, so it's pretty "official", I guess, considering the murky rights issues surrounding this film.

I couldn't find that one on Amazon, but the "Millenium Edition" seems to be the same thing, going by the extras, so it's probably the same transfer.

:eng101: Just don't get the 30th Anniversary edition with the extra scenes. They weren't done by Romero, and they're terrible.

BrewingTea fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 7, 2011

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

So, basically, "Archer"?

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

This is how you negotiate nude scenes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axv1NFJpM4A&t=151s

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

kinky sects posted:

I work with a guy who always talks about a scene in Jaws where the coroner held up half of the girl's body, he said he saw it in theaters and it was cut out of every edition on every format distributed after that. I was wondering if anyone can validate that he is right? Thanks in advance.

Speaking of 1994, a similar thing happened to me with "Pulp Fiction." I saw it, like, 4-5 times in the theater and I swear there was a scene where the cab driver told Butch what her name meant, but it was missing from the movie when I got it on video. However, it appeared in the Deleted Scenes section exactly as I remembered it! So, obviously the scene exists, but I can't prove it was in the theatrical edition.

My point is: Yeah, poo poo like that happens sometimes.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Not that you're wrong, but you're describing "merchandising", not marketing.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Wouldn't the lack of gasoline still create a paradox? I mean, he could have just filled it up, but he didn't, so...

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Slugworth posted:

Dude, how long are you gonna keep bringing that poo poo up? I already apologized.

Um, did he tell you about his condition?

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

I liked it better than TFA. Not that I necessarily disagree with the comments in this thread...

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

I think I read somewhere that older cameras/film required more light, so any "night" scenes had to be filmed on a stage so they could blast the scene with lighting. This is also why you see way more "day for night" scenes in older films. As the technology got better, they were able to use less light and gradually get away from sets more.

Look up how much extra effort it took to get those deep-focus shots in Citizen Kane, or the famous candle lenses for Barry Lyndon...

Edit: beaten, but yes, color film required more light than B&W, so those old noir films (which wanted a dark look anyway) were easier to make, from a DP's perspective.

BrewingTea fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 21, 2017

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Whichever one leaves out the lovely CGI Jabba

Ah, the Xmas Special
VVVVVVVVVV

BrewingTea fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 25, 2018

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

"Oops, I accidentally helped the bad guys." is a perfectly valid plot point.

If it was on The Big Bang Theory, it's probably not as smart as people think.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

The Taking of Pelham 123

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

In the comics Blade is British and the cops hate him because they can't actually arrest him for killing vampires because there's no law against killing the undead and also because he's black.

Also because he gets results, you stupid chief!

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

When I was a kid, my dad pointed out that Han Solo and Indiana Jones were the same guy, and it blew my young mind.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

When it came out, I thought it was just another find-the-serial-killer procedural, so I wasn't interested. My ultra-conservative Christian parents thought the same thing, but they like bland crap, so they went and saw it before I did.

It was SUCH a mindfuck for them, holy poo poo! There's very little gore in the movie, but my mom insisted there was a scene where John Doe force-fed gluttony. (There isn't. It's only described by a coroner, after the fact.)

Their reaction made me run out to see it immediately. I love this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

In the film "Laserblast", the protagonist blows up a billboard with the words "Star Wars" on it. Not an ad for the film. Just a sign with the words.

As boasts go, it kinda made me sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwTPExzfQbE

BrewingTea fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 9, 2020