Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

In Wild Wild West, Will Smith is getting the poo poo beaten out of him by some big thug with metal under his skin. The guy raises a wrench or something to deliver the finishing blow, and then his mouth starts sparking and he dies. What the hell? I'm pretty sure you don't see any wire or anything touching him, what was the supposed cause of his death?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

In Fargo, why is Prince credited as Victim in Field? It's clearly not him.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Cacator posted:

According to Cruel Intentions, Ryan Phillipe and Sarah Michelle Gellar were half-siblings, and Ryan Phillipe initially only wanted Reese Witherspoon on the bet that he would be able to sleep with Sarah Michelle Gellar but soon he found true feelings for Reese Witherspoon until Ryan Phillipe died and Reese Witherspoon got her revenge on Sarah Michelle Gellar by handing out copies of the journal that had all the secrets!!

They were step-siblings which makes everything better but yea otherwise that sounds right.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

In Gladiator, are we meant to think that Maximus is going to escape and lead his army against Commodus? Obviously that's the plan, but is it a surprise/twist when his plan is foiled, or just the progression of the story? I can't remember the first time I saw the movie so I don't recall what my reaction was.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I didn't think anyone else had seen the 4th Floor, I discovered it by accident and it's become a kind of cult classic among my family. It's so awful.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Jim Caviezel is not actually real, Mel Gibson didn't think it was appropriate to actually pick a real person as being able to adequately represent Jesus Christ onscreen.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Directorman posted:

So I've just watched K-Pax, and I kinda want to talk about it for a minute.

Regarding the ending:

Am I alone in thinking that the film took a big dip when the idea of him being an insane person is introduced? It felt like a punch in the gut and I lost the desire to watch the film, to be honest. Anyone else think he should've 100% been an alien?

I haven't seen the movie in a long time but I remember being kind of frustrated with it for what I think are similar reasons. I liked the idea of being ambiguous but I thought they handled it horribly, like they have him do things that he could only do if he absolutely was an alien, but then they're like "Oh wait maybe he's just crazy" and it doesn't gel at all

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It's been a while but I think there was a police truck/van knocked over in the background, I think he was "arrested" but escaped Fugitive-style via a car accident.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

People do it to be edgy because Pulp Fiction is really popular with :siren: college kids :siren: or something.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

andyouandi posted:

That's what I thought but could never understood why he wanted her wacked? (wouldn't he try to wack Henry first?)

Huh I had always interpreted that as Karin being paranoid as a result of their whole situation or it being ambiguous as to what Jimmy's intentions were.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yeah they probably thought acting was more fun and lucrative than writing. I mean would you rather spend months hammering out a screenplay or loving around with George Clooney and Brad Pitt?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I just watched Chinatown and I don't think I "get" it. It was enjoyable enough with good performances from its leads, but I always see it mentioned as A Great Movie and I'm just not seeing it. I don't really see any depth to it or any meaning beyond "Things aren't always what they seem; also incest." Am I just bad at movies?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

SubG posted:

It's not a puzzle to be figured out. It's considered a great film because of craftsmanship: Towne's script, Polanski's direction, Goldsmith's score, the acting, the production design, and so forth. It evokes a certain time and more particularly a certain genre of fiction, and it does this superlatively and without either being merely a pastiche or engaging in revisionism.

I mean we could get into deconstructing the story if you want, but that's not really at the heart of why it's considered a classic.

Got it, thanks. I feel like I need to watch it again to really appreciate it because it totally wasn't what I expected and I think that distracted me.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

morestuff posted:

Just curious - what were you expecting?

I'm not entirely sure. The really deliberate pacing and small scale of the plot kind of threw me off.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

They are spazzing because for about two years straight it's been the Batman Discusso forum and just lately it's gotten seriously awful.

The derails are really annoying but this was a quick question and answer that would already be forgotten if you weren't freaking out about it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ein Bear posted:

In Return of the Jedi, why exactly does the Emperor want Luke to turn to the dark side and be his apprentice? He already rules the Galaxy, what does he have to gain by turning Luke? If anything, it seems that having a super-powerful evil apprentice is a liability, the guy's just going to stab you in the back.

Like you said he already rules the galaxy. Twisting someone to the dark side is really the only way left for him to grow more powerful. It's implied that Jedi/Sith/Etc value the Force and mastering it holds an allure beyond military tactics and logic. He clearly doesn't really care about the material aspects of being all-powerful, he just sits in a dark room and thinks about the force all day.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

cletepurcel posted:

It's not made explicitly clear in the movie but yeah I think that it was a veiled threat against family members or something. This theory is reinforced by the fact Michael gets Tom Hagen to talk Frankie into killing himself in the bathtub after, specifically so that his family will be protected.

I have to ask though, is it normal for guys to remain in Witness Protection even after pulling a stunt like Frankie's? I mean, the real Henry Hill got kicked out because he was dealing drugs still on the side (and also because he kept revealing his identity after Goodfellas came out) but still, his testimony actually worked. I guess I've just seen Godfather II too many times and am starting to make unnecessary nitpicks.

They still would have loved for him to testify at some point, and he would definitely be killed if he was released from Witness Protection so they would lose that potential asset. Henry Hill had already testified, he had no leverage so they didn't give a gently caress what happened to him once he broke the rules.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

Then of course there's the ending. Whether you think it's good or bad at least it was thematically relevant. Or at least it was, until AICN and other sites found out about the ending and ran the story (Which is a lovely thing to do in the first place, an act I'm totally convinced was only due to the fact that McG was directing it). Nerds being Nerds went crazy over the ending (Not having context) and McG went into damage control mode and said they were making changes to the ending. We get a bog standard ending that goes against what the film is clearly building up to.

What was the original ending?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Cacator posted:

Cool as Ice. There will be no further argument.

Cool as Ice is great for leading to the creation of a game with the same title, where you and your buddies take turns approaching girls at the bar with that amazing pickup line.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Binowru posted:

I believe it's "Drop that zero and get with the hero."

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9yaam0p_BA

Yep that's the one although apparently I have been misquoting it as "Lose the zero and get with the hero."

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I saw Dumb and Dumberer in theaters. A girl I liked wanted to see it :(

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm going through Six Feet Under now and it's really jarring when they started using 16:9 in season 3. I think 4:3 fits the intimate mood of the show and more importantly it was a mistake to switch up the format halfway through the show's run.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It probably stems from the Potato Head origins since originally the body parts were the toy and they were meant to be just stuck into a potato or other food object. The body is irrelevant.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Between rewatching The Dark Knight recently and seeing a preview for Rabbit Hole last night, has anyone else noticed that Aaron Eckhart has the exact same mannerisms and tics as Peter Krause? It was really bugging me because I kept trying to figure out who I know that acted like Eckhart and then I realized it was because I just watched all of Six Feet Under a few months back.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I just watched The Aviator, and while I found it to be enjoyable I'm not sure what the point was. I learned a lot about a few decades in Howard Hughes' life, but there wasn't really a strong central plot and it just kind of ended at a very arbitrary point. Was Scorcese just trying to convey some biographical information or is there some underlying meaning/message that I didn't get?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

In The Godfather, Part II, what exactly was Fredo's role in what happened at the start? Did he just let the hitmen into the compound? He tells Michael at the end that he didn't know what they were planning but that seems just ludicrous, so was he lying then? And did he actually kill the hitmen (right after the attempt Michael hypothesizes that the hitmen are already dead, killed by whoever was their contact on the inside, and sure enough they find the corpses. But that seems to require a will to act/competency that's beyond Fredo).

I get the idea of what happened but the details are lost on me. I probably didn't need to spoiler-tag that but figured I would just to be safe.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Kentucky Shark posted:

Having just watched it a week ago, I'm pretty sure that they never explicitly answer any of those questions, and at least some of that is purposely ambiguous (like exactly what Fredo knew). According to Wikipedia, the sequel novels that came out a couple years ago attempt to flesh those details out a little more, but Puzo and Coppola had nothing to do with those books.

Just for the sake of argument, I'd say the answer to who killed the hitmen is probably Johnny Ola, since he seems to be the only major underling of Hyman Roth we are ever introduced to. Otherwise, it's someone we never really see.

That was kind of my impression, but I wasn't sure if I was missing something since so much of the plot is unspoken and inferred from deciphering the lies/reading between the lines.

This might be an "amateur filmgoer" opinion but rewatching it tonight, I can't help but feel the movie would be much stronger if the scenes from the two timepoints were separated instead of intertwined. The Michael scenes are engaging and complex enough that it feels deflating every time we jump back to the past, and (from what I can tell) there aren't strong thematic ties between particular scenes where it's meaningful to watch Vito do something after you've seen Michael do something else. I get that there's the overarching theme of Vito building the Family to support his family and friends, while Michael destroys his family and friends to strengthen the Family. But it seems belittling to assume that the viewer requires constant back-and-forth scenes to remind them of that.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 14, 2011

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

TELL THAT TO MY WIFE :rimshot:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

"Motherfucker" is treated differently than "gently caress".

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Fat Turkey posted:

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but it kinda looks like it. It's a question about a completely unimportant minor point of The Dark Knight, but it's not too bad guys, I promise. It's more about the US Justice system I guess, than the intricacies of masked vigilante vs clown terrorism.

It's mentioned in the film that when Dent decides to take on the mob, that everyone will be after him and he has to be whiter than white. They will be looking for dirt on him, to crumble his reputation. Batman 'stops' him killing a guy because otherwise all the mob gang they arrested will be set free (or something like this).

What I don't understand is why? How does the respectability and newly discovered criminal record of a District Attorney somehow alter the charges brought against criminals that have nothing to do whatsoever with what he's done? Is that a US thing or something made up for plot convinience? Just because the prosecutor was found doing something vastly illegal, how does that end the case that he's working on, rather than just bring in a new guy?

Apologies in advance.

I took it to mean that anyone who was prosecuted by him (or at least the higher-ups with big lawyer money) would appeal their conviction under the premise that their prosecutor was corrupt; he was caught (in this hypothetical scenario) extorting a confession under highly illegal means, who knows what other methods he resorted to, evidence he falsified, etc. At the very least their lawyers would probably be able to challenge the chain of custody of any evidence that passed through Dent's hands.

Honestly though my understanding of the justice system is based entirely on Law and Order episodes: I remember at least once this same premise (If you gently caress up here all of your past convictions will be under scrutiny) was levied at Stabler when he did something stupid.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

People think James Franco is hot? I guess if you like creepy-looking motherfuckers with godawful hairstyles.

Whenever someone complains about hairstyles that aren't like a mullet or a rattail or something I assume they're 50+ and very angry about young people.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I watched the trailer for Ed Wood after hearing some good things, and it seemed Whimsical Johnny Depp as gently caress. Is it worth it if I'm not a huge Depp fan?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

Jumanji has such an odd ending. Especially how Robin Williams' character who should have been completely traumatized by the events. Or how Bonnie Hunt got to grow up and have a life but then turned back into a little girl.

That is really weird. I would be pissed as hell if I had to start over at 12 or whatever.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

hayden. posted:

Well even then, her concern was that being stuck in her dream meant her kids were going to be without them. No matter how long she's stuck in limbo, her real life is still waiting right there for her. I don't understand why she was so bothered by essentially getting to live extra long. Also I figured the limit was like three levels, so worst case scenario she's there for like a few decades? The stability of the dream world would also suggest that she's only one, maybe two levels deep at most.

She didn't want to live an entire life before she could see her children again. Remember she doesn't think she's killing herself. Yeah the worst case scenario is only "a few decades" but why live through that if you can just pinch yourself to wake up?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

Two Questions:

1) This was just re-ignited by the Inception talk above: Before Mal kills herself she trashes the hotel room across from the ledge she jumped off of. If I recall correctly, the hotel and jump ledge were a major avenue (Read: 4 lanes of traffic) apart from each other. So Leo's dumb-poo poo lawyer doesn't point out the logical leap it would take to fling a fighting 150lb woman across at least 2 lanes of traffic?

The answer is either:
A) Set design does not take precedence over narrative structure. They decided the scene would be better if Mal was across the street and this isn't really important.

B) Leo is still in a dream in what he thinks is the real world; his mind didn't even consider this detail.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

In Star Wars, why does Anakin continue to be a dick after Padme dies? As I understand it he knew Palpatine was evil but went along so he could save her. When she dies anyway shouldn't he call him out for lying or something?

In Attack of the Clones there are some brief exchanges where we find that Anakin feels that he deserves more than he has and that the goody-two-shoes Jedi are holding him back, and also that those in power deserve to rule and he's kind of down with military fascism. They never really develop it and it's dropped entirely in Revenge of the Sith but it's a more believable reason for why he would continue to be the right-hand man of an evil despot for 20+ years than "Wanted to save my girlfriend but she died anyway and now... I'm gonna be evil I guess?"

Also there's the idea that the dark side is more than just a tool for shooting lightning, and once you kinda become evil there's some active thing (a FORCE???) that twists you and helps you become more evil. However, the films (wisely) never make it clear whether that's really a thing, if the force takes an active role in influencing people or if that's just a metaphor/excuse for human nature. "He really loves me, it's just this Dark Side keeps making him hit me." The books go back and forth but who gives a gently caress.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 16, 2011

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

David Cross's mortician character died in Men in Black, right? Is his video-store owner character in Men in Black II supposed to be related to him?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Barometer posted:

Oh, wow. I always thought he was playing an entirely different character.

He has the same name on imdb so... I guess he's the same guy?

This is way more thought than I ever meant to put into MiB II. I caught it last night, and it's actually got some decent scenes and really funny lines. It's a shame they didn't just get Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith together and make a new movie, instead of doing the Comedy Sequel thing where you rehash the plot and every gag from the first film while also tripling the screentime of all the side characters.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

That's about what I mean by point.

Up until recently I assumed that Vito and Michael are shown in parallel in order to show that Vito was doing things right and that Michael is doing things wrong.

However, upon rewatching recently, it occurred to me that a lot of the betrayals that happened to Michael were betrayals that were brewing while Vito was alive: Tessio, Vito's old friend, was planning to betray the Corleones to Barzini while Vito was alive. Carlo betrays the Corleones to Barzini during Vito's reign.

It kind of weakened the idea that Vito was doing things right, so now I'm wondering, if Vito wasn't always doing things right, what is the point of comparing Vito to Michael?

I don't know about comparing things between the films, but within Part II, the "point" of juxtaposing Vito's rise with Michael's... whatever seems to be based around their view and treatment of family. We see Vito essentially forming his mafia family as a means to provide for and protect his own family, and his friends/people he's close to. At the same time we see Michael tearing his family apart and turning on people close to him in order to solidify the power of his mafia family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I didn't like QoS, but something that stood out to me when I rewatched it recently is that it's drat good looking. The colors pop and the sets are all very interesting and well designed; that opera house in particular is gorgeous with that white color scheme. Whoever was in charge of all that did a great job.

ServoMST3K posted:

Exactly! This is probably the best summation of how some current approaches to comedy strike me. Along with what cat doter included about editing, I think I can finally make sense of it. Again, I'm not at all saying I think these types of shows and films are "bad". I've laughed at a good amount of the stuff I've seen, but it was just so backwards compared to the humor in something like Ghostbusters (maybe not the best example) which seemed much more reactive and in the moment. Thanks everyone!

To clarify, are you talking about the acting, or the dialogue itself, or a combination? When I think of Ghostbusters I think of dialogue that's timed very naturally and also sounds like real things a group of old friends would say to each other.