Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I hope it's not. I tried watching Samurai I and it just didn't grab me for some reason.

I don't remember Kyuzo's battle being what I'm describing, I don't think they ran past each other. I think Kyuzo just cuts the guy down when he comes near and the guy freezes then dies, but I may be remembering it wrong. It probably comes close and was most likely a precursor to what I'm describing.

What I'm thinking of is two samurai who run past each other, striking as they pass one another, but you don't know who hit who. With their backs to each other there's this tense buildup where they're both still, then one falls over because he was masterfully hit by the other's sword when they passed.

It's totally stereotypically and is referenced in a ton of things, but I can't find an example. It bothers me because I've seen all these older samurai movies (except for the Mifune Samurai Trilogy) and not once have I seen what I'm describing.

Maybe it's not from a movie, but from the manga 'Lone Wolf and Cub', which originally came out in 1970, sold millions of copies, and has influenced artists, film makers, producers and directors across the world. Almost every samurai and ninja cliche you can imagine appears in this epic story -- obviously before they were cliches. Including many fights like the one you mention

Then again I guess if there's a movie older than 1970 where this sort of fight occurs, it invalidates this theory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Web Jew.0 posted:

Just watched the Prestige...

Is there a reason why the Christian Bale twin who didn't love their wife had to take turns seeing her with the one who did? Couldn't he have just chilled around town in his Fallon disguise?

It's too impractical. Imagine if the one who doesn't like her has to appear as himself somewhere else shortly after being with her. You'd either have two of the same guy at similar times or they'd have to switch roles very quickly. . Or their schedules would revolve around her and she'd have become more important than their insane Machiavellian scheming.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

the Bunt posted:

I agree. He's never really "blown me away" in anything. Maybe Castaway.

Castaway and Road to Perdition were his two best

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
This thread about an art heist in Paris got me thinking about something that's always bugged me - in The Thomas Crown Affair w. Brosnan, the scene where he takes the painting off the wall and puts it in some special folding case.. I never seem to keep up with what that folding case does. IT looks like he's putting the painting into a case that's smaller than the painting and then folding it up like a Trapper Keeper.. I've watched it a couple times and always see the same thing. Is he actually folding the painting? Doesn't it break?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Wild T posted:

Five Cent Deposit, were you drunk enough that you didn't notice Arnold Swarzenegger was the protagonist? That probably would have helped you find out a lot easier than the electric clown (his name was Dynamo, incidentally, and he's the best overweight opera-singing electricity-themed villain ever). God, I love that movie.

OVA HERE CHRISTMAS TREE

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I've watched The Princess Bride dozens of times and always wondered if this was a goof - when Fezzik meets up with drunk Inigo in the Theives Forest, and he sobers him up, how did Fezzik know about Count Rugen being the six-fingered man? At that point in the movie the only person who'd made the six-fingered-connection was Wesley, and he certainly never had a chance to explain it to Fezzik.

I read the book years ago but never noted how the Count Rugen reveal was handled there.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
What's the name of that effect where it looks like the background is growing/shrinking, or moving further out while the main focus stays the same? And how does it work? I was thinking two shots superimposed, or something similar.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
When do the dinosaurs show up in Tree of Life. Every time I flip over to it I see 5-10 minutes of a sad family with slow music. There are dinosaurs, right?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Thanks. I guess I should watch the whole thing for context of that scene. I had thought the movie was sprinkled with dinosaur bits.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm rewatching 'Sherlock Holmes - A Game of Shadows', because I love it. Can someone tell me why Moriarty needed to cover up an assassination by bullet with an additional explosion of the entire room?

I'm sure the scoundrel had his reasons but they escape me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Thanks, that was my best guess. Basically he wanted that one particular guy 100 percent for sure dead, and didn't think a bomb would guarantee it.