Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Zwille posted:

Nobody mention The Big Lebowski yet?

Pfft.

I've been watching shitloads of noir lately, and there's a bunch more I could add to my list, but one is an absolute must-see: The Lineup. loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Ninja Gamer posted:

This could be a thread in itself: "Why you hate movies that others love".

I can't count the number of times we've had that thread, or variations of it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Brolita posted:

Who directed the commercials in RoboCop? I remember hearing somewhere it was someone like the Coen Brothers or Trey Parker and Matt Stone, but I can't find any info on it.

AFAIK, Paul Verhoeven directed them.

And WTF... Trey Parker and Matt Stone? They were still in high school.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Penpal posted:

Also, a general movie question: Have any really good DP's gone on to direct really good films?

Christopher Doyle's segment of Paris je t'aime was my favorite, really genius. I haven't seen any of his features, though.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I probably sound like a broken record by now, but you really ought to check out some film noir. Most of them treat firearms very seriously, with all the weight and menace they merit.

edit: also Stray Dog sounds like exactly what you're looking for

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Binowru posted:

But is that really the kind of movie that belongs in the Criterion Collection?

Why not? The action blockbuster is a perfectly valid subset of cinema.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I imagine that a lot of it has to do with what they could get the rights for.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Parachute posted:

That definitely seems way more appropriate than Armageddon.

1) There was an Armageddon Criterion before Minority Report was even in theaters.

2) I doubt Criterion could get the rights to a Spielberg movie (although they did get Close Encounters on laserdisc)

Anyway, if we're talking about a film to represent the typical blockbuster -- lots of big stars, big explosions, cheesy rock soundtrack, "turn your brain off" fun -- Armageddon is a better fit.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 26, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I would rather re-watch Armageddon over Jubilee or Sweet Movie any day.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

penismightier posted:

Ditto Life Aquatic, The Night Porter, Shoot the Piano Player and Chasing Amy

I'll agree with you on Night Porter and I'm equally indifferent toward Chasing Amy. But I'd rather watch Life Aquatic even though it's my least favorite Wes Anderson film. And Shoot the Piano Player? You are a bad person with no soul.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Akuma posted:

I watched Kick-rear end last night, and it got me thinking; how often do films use pieces of music from another film's score? I'm sure it must happen a decent amount, but I'm drawing a complete blank.

Most or all of the score in Man on Wire is cribbed from Michael Nyman's scores from various Peter Greenaway flicks (Drowning By Numbers, The Draughtman's Contract, et cetera). Apparently the director wanted to hire Nyman to compose a new score but couldn't afford him.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

InfiniteZero posted:

(*) Shaw Brothers films also often share not only music, but entire sets. If you watch a lot of their films you start to recognize sets between films which is odd but some critics like Bey Logan will argue that it actually makes a fan of their films feel sort of "at home" when you start constantly seeing the same set.

This also happened frequently under the old Hollywood studio system. You spend a lot of money on a set, you want to get the most out of it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

InfiniteZero posted:

Are the reused sets very recognizable in those films? I don't do a lot of these films myself so I've never noticed this. With Shaw Brothers films, the sets are often barely changed between films (there's a dining room/restaurant set that I think gets used in almost every film and it is instantly recognizable, for example).

I don't notice it unless it's pointed out to me. On the featurette for Dangerous Crossing they showed how it was the exact same ship as Titanic (the 1953 version, of course) and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. It would have been really obvious if you were looking for it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

spe posted:

Is there a region 2 equivalent to Criterion releases? Colour me jealous, I want such a comprehensive package with excellent picture quality and piles of extras!

Masters of Cinema/Eureka, Optimum, and BFI.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

spe posted:

:words: about Koyaanisqatsi

Have you seen Baraka? You'd probably dig it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

jjack229 posted:

It seems war movies (from the US) are almost always about WWII or Vietnam and that WWII movies also always seem to be fighting against the Germans, or ocasssionally the Japanese, but never the Italians and the movie never takes place in Africa.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good modern wafare (1900 or so on) movies that are not WWII or Vietnam? I have seen All Quiet on the Western Front, Paths of Glory, Jarhead, and Hurt Locker.

Wooden Crosses (WWI)
Gallipoli (WWI)
The Red and the White (Russian Civil War)

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

codyclarke posted:

I know there will be black bars, since obviously the film isn't 16:9, it's 2.35:1. However there's a difference between 2.35:1 being displayed in a 16:9 area and a 4:3 area. Apparently, the new Seagal DVD is 2.35:1 in a 4:3 area, thus making it tiny on a 16:9 screen if viewed in its proper dimensions. My question is whether this is the case for a lot of 2.35:1 movies that are blu-ray, or if this is just some weird, lazy isolated incident with this one particular title.

I very much doubt that Marked for Death, or ANY Blu-Ray, will be non-anamorphic. Where the hell are you getting this info from?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

codyclarke posted:

Alright maybe I received really bum information from these strangers complaining on Amazon. This is good news.

Amazon review posted:

PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS. PLEASE!, January 28, 2010
By Jason Young J. Tak "Filmproducer" (Glendale, CA) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Marked for Death (DVD)

PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS REPACKAGED VERSION. I SAY AGAIN PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS. ANYONE WHO ARE TRYING TO GET THIS FOR FIRST TIME EVER & IF YOU ARE HARDCORE FAN OF THIS MOVE, YOU MIGHT WANT TO BUY THIS BUT GIVE IT A RENT FIRST SIMPLY BECAUSE THIS EDITION HAS EXACT SAME DISC AS PREVIOUS EDITION (NON-ANAMORPHIC). THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THIS EDITION & OLDER EDTION IS THE NEWLY PRINTED COVER. IF YOU HAVE OLDER EDITION, PLEASE KEEP IT. DON,T BUY THIS EDITION TIMES 10000. END OF STORY.

Note the bold part. It's a review of the DVD.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Green Crayons posted:

So, here's my subjective question: Why do people really enjoy Lady Vengeance? Help me understand what I missed.

I'll just quote my own review:

FitFortDanga posted:

The film is visually delectable, with oodles of striking images and clever effects. The story is rich and multi-faceted, without needing to resort to convoluted plot twists or cheap thrills. It's funny, moving, tense, engaging and often heartbreakingly beautiful.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The mirrors are actually windows with identical actors on the other side painstakingly mimicking the main actors.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Ninja Gamer posted:

So I haven't seen Metropolis yet(I know, I'm a plebian neophyte). It's on my netflix queue but I was wondering, is it worth tracking down a copy that has the score done by Queen or would whatever netflix gives me be just as good?

Wait for the restored version coming out soon on Blu-Ray.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'm trying to remember which Kurosawa film has an insane arterial spray in it. I know there's a good gusher in Ran, but there's an even bigger one in a black & white film. I think it's Throne of Blood.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You would be thinking of the final duel in Sanjuro. It's absurdly over top in the same way that the finale of Throne of Blood is utterly ridiculous.

Oh yeah that's right, I see it clearly now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvaGe9iqO0U

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 25, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

anticake posted:

Throne of Blood was the MacBeth one right? Mifune gets filled with like a hojillion arrows before he dies being the ridiculous bit? Or am I forgetting something?

That is correct.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

the Bunt posted:

My problem is that most of the time, I can't for the life of me distinguish many of the actors from one another. For instance, I recently watched Wong Kar-wai's 2046 and until halfway through I didn't realize that the protagonist was having flings with several different women. This really confused me. Most of the time, I have to look at an actor's hair style or other defining features because their faces look so similar. I know I'm a filthy gaijin but I was wondering if it ever gets easier the more films I watch.

Um, I guess? I have this problem once in a while, but only rarely. It sounds like you've already watched a lot though, so I don't know how much better for you it can get. 2046 has some very popular actresses (Gong Li, Faye Wong, Maggie Cheung, Ziyi Zhang) so I'd think you would know their faces by now.

the Bunt posted:

Tsai-ming Lai

Do you mean Tsai Ming-liang? I just reviewed his newest in the "Rate the Latest" thread (it's terrific!).

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

the Bunt posted:

Yup yup. I was mixed up. The Hole: 2000 Seen By and Rebels of the Neon God are two of my most favorite films.

FYI, "2000 Seen By" isn't part of the title, it's just The Hole. "2000 Seen By" is a collection of 10 films, each by a different director from a different country, each containing the moment we switched from 1999 to 2000.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

As I've been going through heaps of film noir, I love freeze-framing whenever there's a headline shot. It's fun to see which ones actually bothered to type up a whole story and which ones just slapped a headline on some completely unrelated story. Most are the latter.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Elijya posted:

Why is the movie Half Baked called that, and not just Baked? What is the rationale for the "Half"? It doesn't really work for the plot, and I've never heard 'half baked' as a drug term before.

1) Their plan is half-baked
2) It's just a play on words

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Lucas posted:

I know FitFordDanga has the movie, but this is for anyone else as well. Could someone scan the cover of Todd Haynes' Safe for me? I need a new cover for it. I have the disc but I am a weirdo. I've looked all over the net!

PM me your email address, I'll send it to you.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Lucas posted:

I don't have PMs but here is my email. lucaskollauf@gmail.com

Email sent.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Schweinhund posted:

Are there any movies (or any medium I guess) where they try to have something look like it was filmed a long time ago and it really looks like it? It seems like whenever they try to make something look like it was filmed like it was in the 30's or 40', or even the 60's or 70's or whenever, it always looks too crisp or just off in some way. Can't they just use an old movie camera and do it like that or is it something with modern film stock that makes everything look modern?

Check out some Guy Maddin films. This short is one of his best works.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Lucas posted:

Is my By Brakhage Volume One Blu Ray hosed up? I go to watch The Act of Seeing With One's Own Eyes and I scroll on the time line to look for it and it isn't there. I checked after Dog Star Man where it is supposed to be and it wasn't there. Any ideas?

I just checked mine and it's the same. I never use those timeline things on Criterion discs. Just select it from the index.

e: beat me to it

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

fenix down posted:

This has probably been asked before, but has there ever been a remake of a movie or TV show that rose above the source material or got good reviews?

The only one I could think of was The Man Who Knew Too Much - but it doesn't seem like that one would count.

The original is better :colbert:

The Thing is generally considered to be better than The Thing From Another World although I don't know if it was well-received at the time.

More (some of these are debatable):

The Maltese Falcon
The Fly
Ben-Hur
Ocean's 11
Gaslight
Imitation of Life
His Girl Friday
Little Shop of Horrors

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

NGL posted:

I could see a good case being made for MASH

MASH was a movie before it was a TV show.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SubG posted:

I think Spike Lee is under some sort of contractual obligation to use this at least once per film.

This. I haven't seen all of When the Levees Broke, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he used that shot in it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SubG posted:

Edit: What was the first use of the more general moving point-of-view shot? I can think of scattered examples---the beginning Dark Passage (1947) and driving sequence in Gun Crazy (1950)---and I think of very early examples of static POV shots (like the 1931 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde).

There's Lady in the Lake, which came out a few months before Dark Passage. There's probably an earlier example, though.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SubG posted:

There are motion POV shots in Vertov's Chelovek S Kino-Apparatom/Man With A Movie Camera (1929), aren't there?

While I'm not sure exactly what shots you're referring to, I would consider that to be debatable since there are no real subjective characters in Man With a Movie Camera. Unless you consider the camera a character, and that's a whole other can of worms.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Eggnogium posted:

I'd like to briefly open that can of worms. Can someone explain to me what "camera as a character" means? I've always seen it as a hack phrase used by pretentious movie critics, but maybe I just don't understand the nuance. And I don't mean in out-there movies like Man With a Movie Camera (never seen it but I'm familiar with the premise), I mean in movies that are more or less traditional in their narrative techniques.

Here's a good example where I have no idea what it means. (Ctrl+f for "camera is a character")

I'm not terribly qualified to comment on this, but basically it means the camera has an agenda or a viewpoint of its own, distinct from simply providing a "neutral" vantage point for the action or representing the view of one of the actors.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SubG posted:

I don't think you normally expect a POV shot to be literally from the point of view of one of the characters. The in-car camera shot in Gun Crazy is behind both of the characters (the camera being in the back seat), for example.

Well now I'm getting confused. Isn't "literally from the point of view of one of the characters"... the definition of a POV shot? I'll have to pop in Gun Crazy later, I remember the scene but not the particulars of the shot. But what specifically makes it a POV shot and not just a camera inside the car?

SubG posted:

In Man With A Movie Camera I was thinking of the sequence where the two cameras, both in cars, are filming each other.

Ah, I don't remember that. I've been holding out on rewatching MWAMC in the hopes of a Blu-Ray release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I just watched Wings and there's a shot where two characters are on a swing and the camera moves with them. I'm not sure if this is what you mean.

Ray does that in Charulata too (and also Teen Kanya IIRC). Now I'm wondering if he got the idea from Wings.