Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

cheeseboy posted:

I have a quote of a disfigured man saying "frrriiiieeend" in my head. I am not sure where it's from! I was thinking it was either The Elephant Man or Sloth from the Goonies, but I have been unable to track down a fitting quote from either of those movies. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

E.T.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Definitely check out more Curtis Mayfield, though! His albums are a bit uneven, but the "People Get Ready" box set collects most his best songs.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Snak posted:

I kind of meant recently.

The Thin Red Line

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Twin Cinema posted:

Am I the only one who's getting sick of Nic Cage? Sorry, that should say Nic Cage, the meme.

No, you're not. It's worse than Chuck Norris.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

sursumdeorsum posted:

I want to buy a Hitchcock blu ray, but have only seen Psycho and would like to get something else. What is a good non Psycho Hitchcock blu ray recommendation?

Your only option at the moment is North by Northwest.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Notorious isn't getting enough love :smith:

It's not on Blu-Ray. Neither is Vertigo, Rear Window, or The Birds. Am I the only one who read the entire post?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

InfiniteZero posted:

What is your reasoning for only buying movies made after 2009 on BluRay? Is it just arbitrary? New format for new films?

He didn't say he wouldn't buy pre-2010 movies on Blu-Ray.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I love What's Up Tiger Lily. The Lovin' Spoonful bits are stupid, but everything else is terrific.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Always do the comedy stereotype accent, over-enunciating every syllable.

This is what I imagine SubG does.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

penismightier posted:

Has Bergman ever talked about his opinions on Carl Dreyer?

He liked Passion of Joan of Arc

quote:

In connection to the 18th Göteborg Film Festival 1994, Bergman chose his eleven all time favourite films:

The Circus (Charles Chaplin, USA 1928)

Port of Shadows (Quai des brumes, Marcel Carné, France 1938)

The Conductor (Dyrygent, Andrzej Wajda, Poland 1979)

Raven's End (Kvarteret Korpen, Bo Widerberg, Sweden 1963)

The Passion of Joan of Arc (La passion de Jeanne d'Arc, Carl Th. Dreyer, France 1927)

The Phantom Carriage (Körkarlen, Victor Sjöström, Sweden 1921)

Rashomon (Akira Kurosawa, Japan 1951)

The Road (La Strada, Federico Fellini, Italy 1954)

Sunset Blvd. (Billy Wilder, USA 1950)

Two German Sisters (Die bleierne Zeit, Margarethe von Trotta, BRD 1981)

Andrei Rublev (Andrei Tarkovsky, Soviet Union 1969)

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Guys, I just watched Analyze That and I don't understand why everyone is so gaga over this DeNiro guy.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

In what terrifying universe is Krull a good movie?

:ughh:

Jeez, man, come on.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

spikenigma posted:

But then why lace the rooms history with various specifics , to drive the observant viewer mad? :confused:

Like the three paintings. Why those three specifically when it doesn't look like the people in the painting (the paintees???) were ever in the room or commited suicide?

It also seems like the events depicted (when the pictures start moving) could have happened long before the hotel was built. I think there was a tudor painting?

Why the specific number 1408? (checked the year, nothing out of the ordinary), 1+4+0+8 = 13 of course. But presumably room 1309 has had nothing bad happen to it, or any other numbered room.

Did everybody who stayed at the room die?, or was it just the 53?

Why was the uneaten food in the hallway focussed on when the room service person was clearly there?

Who sent the postcard in the first place?, are there any clues on it as to the sender?

Argh! :psyboom:

The answer to all your questions is: it's a bad movie.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

codyclarke posted:

Also, Woody allen reshot September with different actors because he didn't like the first version.

Huh, I didn't know this. September is loving terrible, I wonder how bad the first version was.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criminal Minded posted:

Fortunately Taschen always ends up releasing cheaper versions of these for around $50-60. Can't wait to get the Kubrick Napoleon one.

They still haven't released a cheaper version of the Bergman Archives like they did for Kubrick :(

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

axleblaze posted:

What? No. That is not the "twist" at all. That movie doesn't even really have a twist. Everyone in the movie is real. Not everything you see in the movie is real but all the main characters are established as existing outside of Nina's mind at at least one point or another.

No way dude, she was totally incepted.

Also, pay close attention when Nina(4) goes in the box, you can see Nina(6) in the background.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

oceanside posted:

I've been trying to find this out without exposing myself to spoilers through sifting through Wikipedia and some reviews but I couldn't find a conclusive answer: should I watch Apocalypse Now first and then Apocalypse Now Redux or vice versa? Or will Apocalypse Now Redux on its own cover all of the bases?

Theatrical version first.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Rusty Shackelford posted:

What was so special about Prizzi's Honor that it was nominated for so many awards? I just caught it for the first time on HBO and thought that it was pretty average. The IMDB users agree with me, because it has a 6.8 rating, yet it was up for Best Picture at the 1986 Academy Awards. What am I missing?

You're not missing anything, the Academy is stupid.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Check out Contraband (not really a noir but fun), They Made Me a Fugitive (loving fantastic) and Odd Man Out (another Carol Reed film).

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I think the real answer is that it's a Hollywood big-budget action movie that you're not supposed to think about that deeply.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

KillRoy posted:

I watched Children of Men last night, and was wondering what movie holds the record for the longest scene without cuts?

Off the top of my head, I'd guess Russian Ark (99 minutes, no cuts)

edit: Bela Tarr's Macbeth has 67 minutes without cuts

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 18, 2011

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Factor Mystic posted:

It's generally accepted that Saturday Night Fever was a critical deconstruction and dismantling of the shallowness of the disco era, right? I thought it was going to be a good times dance flick, since I see it in music movie lists with Xanadu. Boy was I surprised. I guess the PG/tv version cut down on the number of rapes, and it's all that people remember?

It's just a case of people judging a book by its cover. It's the same thing with Seventh Seal, first time viewers are always surprised that it has comedic elements.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I always use ConvertXtoDVD, but if you want a freeware option, Avi2Dvd is pretty good.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

twistedmentat posted:

Didn't a lot of movies in the 70s use real pot? I know Easy Rider did, with hilarious results from Henry Fonda. Or is it Peter, I never can keep them straight.

Peter.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

cloudchamber posted:

Should I read Strindberg's A Dream Play before or after watching After the Rehearsal?

I've watched After the Rehearsal twice and didn't care much for it either time. Perhaps reading A Dream Play would have made it better.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criminal Minded posted:

I really need to see more of her

Haven't you seen enough of her already? What are you hoping for, spleen?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

twistedmentat posted:

For some reason I remember the other cheerleading team being full of Aryan Supermen and Superwomen.

That's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Vicky Cristina Barcelona