Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

space-man posted:

i had no clue there were toys. although i do remember seeing some sort of prequel book in the library once

There was also a prequel comic that revealed that yes, Randy Quaid actually was abducted by the aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Manifest posted:

He could consent to join the army, so I don't see how he couldn't consent to sex.

At least legally.

Didn't he get drafted?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I believe Jaleel White has stated he was pressured by producers to remain scrawny for Urkel. As in he wasn't allowed to work out at all since Urkel couldn't have any muscle tone.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While not contractual obligation, Wayne Knight has said that he consulted with a doctor for a way to try and keep himself healthy while still being overweight because he couldn't get any work skinny.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

syscall girl posted:

I saw a looooong cut of David Lynch's Dune one night/early morning on some UHF station.

Nothing I haven't seen now but it put the VHS copy to shame. Must have been 4 hours with commercials.

Yeah, that's the Alan Smithee cut which adds in a long opening where the movie gives a ton of exposition explaining the setting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The goofy thing about the version of the Talkboy they put out on sale around the release of the movie was that it didn't actually have the slowdown feature (they did eventually release a version with it.) That's because when they were filming the movie it wasn't actually a real product, they just decided to make it afterwards.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While the deals sound pretty lovely for Marvel it is because they were made back in the 90s when the company was in really bad financial shape.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snak posted:

I don't remember, why doesn't it make sense at the end?

I don't know about anyone else but for me the way Tom Cruise figures out the betrayal because of the misplaced Bible really doesn't work all that well. Especially how the movie has the bit where Jon Voigt is all "you saw that the Bible was from a hotel I stayed at, of course you figured out I'm the traitor."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My local theater just got D-Box seats. They had a demonstration thing where you could watch trailers and I thought it was kind of interesting but I don't know if it would be good for an entire movie. Has anyone had any experience with them?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snak posted:

The entire plot is that all of the hoops that Jeremy Irons makes Bruce Willis jump through are actually a diversion from his real plan. The very first challenge had a very good chance of getting him killed (in universe), and only didn't by sheer luck. And the story holds the villain up as some kind of mastermind.

Also there's a really weird bit where Jeremy Irons' character is lying to just ONE henchman about what the plan is and everyone else is in on the gold theft.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snak posted:

It's a movie that could be a fine action romp, but fucks it up by insisting that it is a thriller with a twist. Like, if it wasn't trying so hard to be smart, it wouldn't matter that it's loving dumb as poo poo.

They were trying too hard to do the Die Hard 1 thing where it turns out that no, he isn't some principled terrorist. He just wants money.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He had definitely fallen off in later years. Like how Timeline doesn't really make a lot of sense because he says that it isn't time travel but then the plot only makes sense if it is.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The problem was it was completely inconsistent. They point out early in the book that they don't actually travel through time, they go to other parallel universes where it is that year. The whole driving plot of the book is an archeology class having to save their professor and they find out that he's in the past because they find a note from in buried at their dig site. Except, again, this isn't time travel so they can't actually save that professor since all the stuff with that parallel universe version is over and done with because it happened hundreds of years ago. The rest of the book continues with this conflating the stated premise and time travel culminating in a stupid ending where one of the characters stays behind and the rest afterwards go find "his" tomb.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was watching Buddha's Palm on Hulu the other day and at the beginning of the movie when they introduce some of the main characters some writing appears under them but it wasn't translated. So what was it?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's the famous story of Arnie bringing in his own writer to rewrite all his dialogue as oneliner puns in Batman & Robin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkTHtWX7CCY

There's also looooads of stories of writers getting their manuscripts greenlit and then being completely shut out of the filming process. They might get to visit the set if they're lucky but as soon as a director is signed the film becomes his/her baby and the writer usually has zero power.

There's also a mini industry in Hollywood of writers brought in specifically to "punch up" a script with snappier dialogue/jokes without receiving writing credits, Patton Oswalt has talked about it several times.

Will Smith is pretty infamous for having his own set of screenwriters that he brings along to every movie and rewrite his parts to stay on brand. That was part of the reason he dropped out of Django Unchained, he wanted to be the one who killed Candie but QT wouldn't budge.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nicolas Cage did Dying of the Light not too long ago and it was clear the movie wasn't going to be good but he had a clause in his contract that he couldn't badmouth the film. So he and Anton Yelchin, who also starred in it, started taking pictures of themselves wearing shirts with the terms of the non-disparagement clause written on it. The director, Paul Schraeder, admits that it was a bad movie but that was mostly because he got shut out of everything post filming.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don't think many Chinese people see it as 'resorting' as the black market for movies there is huge and part of life. When you have people pressing silver disc versions of pirate movies to sell on the streets for cheap without anyone really caring, the onus is on the industry to counter it. Hence why they get a lot of VOD stuff early now (and why it gets pirated straight away!)

This has also been a thing in the PC game market for years. In order to compete with pirates publishers in those areas have had to drop their prices to rock bottom. The side effect of this created a grey market in the West for those keys as they were the same games, in English, just a whole lot cheaper.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Barudak posted:

Instead, may I suggest funding other crazy people's passion project sequels/reboots like Dick Tracy 2 or Hawk the Slayer 2: Patch Notes 1.02 - Elf Bowskill Changes

The reason there hasn't been anything else with Dick Tracy since the movie is because Warren Beatty says he has the movie rights and there's been some legal conflict around that.

The goofiest thing about Dick Tracy the comic strip character is his origin. He was just a regular guy but then his girlfriend's father's store gets robbed and said girlfriend kidnapped. While talking to the police chief the guy just up and asks Tracy if he wants to be a plainclothes detective because then he could solve the case of his kidnapped girlfriend.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ex Machina

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A lot of silent movies of that era are just gone, either through the film stock degrading or purposeful destruction by the studios themselves. Nobody really cared about preserving movies in the early days of film.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched the first Ip Man movie tonight and something I was kind of confused about was how exactly did he have any money pre-war? They mention later in the film that he's never had a job before and he doesn't seem to have any source of income.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is there any news about when Alex Garland's adaptation of Annihilation is supposed to be released?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is there an actual way of looking up what theater chains accept Movie Pass without signing up for their service?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Update to my Moviepass question, they have revamped their website with a feature that does actually let you look up what theaters use it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Although he was technically killed by a gladiator.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

504 posted:

A couple of other questions then.

Do they make anymore Dr Manhattens? Also does he learn to wear pants.

Is that the end of the story or is the notebook at the end ever addressed?

In the comic it was never addressed as to whether or not the government tried to recreate the accident that changed Jon. There are a couple of things to point that they didn't, first is that if it doesn't work the experiment would absolutely kill anyone who attempted and second there's no guarantee that if it did succeed the person would be as controllable.

For the notebook, it's my understanding that this is part of the premise of a sequel comic series that is currently running but the thing to know about that is that it has nothing to do with the original author or artist of the comic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Powaqoatse posted:

Yeah, it's a pay thing but i dont know the details. for series its obvious that a guest star is temporary:

regular cast get X money
guest stars get Y money

not sure who is paid comparably more for their time though.

also, theres:
- introducing
- featuring
- "and" (after everyone else, but more important)
- probably several more

IIRC how it works is that a "Guest Star" on a TV show only gets paid for the episodes they appear in but they also don't have any contractual obligation to stay on the show and can take off whenever they want. While a "Regular/Recurring" star is more of a steady thing where you're getting paid even if you don't show up in that episode but you also have an obligation to that show and have to run anything else you want to do by the producers. This is what caused Brosnan to lose out on being Bond earlier in his career when the producers of Remington Steele refused to play ball.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So was Casey Affleck really under the sheet for A Ghost Story?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Heads up for anybody else who watched that movie, that's a hella good interview.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Timby posted:

William Shatner and Nichelle Nichols both walked off with their hairpieces from Star Trek: The Original Series.

Chris Pratt stole an entire Star Lord costume from the first Guardians of the Galaxy because he wanted to have a costume so he could do charity/visit sick kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Does anyone have any experience with Sinemia? I currently am a Moviepass subscriber but with the vagueries of their recent communications about adding stuff like surge pricing and how it can be annoying when you have multiple people going to one showing I've been thinking of switching. n