Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

A quick search through wikipedia lead me to this Marked Men (1919) There may be earlier remakes though.

Many very early films were remade a few times because they damaged the camera negative after making too many prints, rendering it unusable. Rescued by Rover (1905, Cecil Hepworth) was re-filmed twice within a year. Otherwise, the The Great Train Robbery (1903, Edwin S. Porter for Edison) was illegally remade the following year by the Lubin Company in New Jersey.

Biff Rockgroin posted:

What is the biggest/most popular movie not yet released on DVD?

Probably The African Queen. It's the only AFI 100 movie to not have an American DVD release. It's out in Region 2, though.

The highest grossing silent film, The Big Parade (1925) isn't on DVD yet, but it's in the works.

Timby posted:

Hearts of Darkness has never been released on DVD, has it?

It came out last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
One question... where can one find the films of Len Lye on DVD? I know Cultoons Vol. 3 has his creepy "Peanut Vendor" stop-motion short, but none of his other works seem to be available like his hand-painted shorts. Kind of annoying considering Norman McLaren's complete works are out in one DVD set and Stan Brakhage is represented with a "greatest hits" DVD from Criterion.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Domukaz posted:

Stupid I-just-ought-to-google-it question: what is mise-en-scène and why is it important?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mise_en_scene

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Part of the reason for the slow gain in wide releases...

1. Prints took longer to make and were more expensive. Up until the 1980s, films usually had all their prints made from the original negative. This was the case for Star Wars, having hundreds of prints made off of it. That practically hosed up the negative to the point that they couldn't have re-released it in 1997.

2. Technicolor films were usually sent to the big cities first, then made their way to the small town houses.
3. People were actually patient enough.
4. There was more of an air of "showmanship" as if bigger films were treated more like special engagements. Note all the big "roadshow" releases of the 1950s and 1960s. This wasn't necessarily the case with routine films, of course. Today, the Lord of the Rings films would have taken a while to get to a small town, but not Meet the Spartans.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Akuma posted:

This was the official impetus for the special editions. Well, part of it, I suppose. I saw a documentary about it that showed what the original negative looked like, and it was completely wrecked.

It's likely that Lucas would have left the films alone had ANH not had been trashed so badly. I think most of the opticals had to be re-composited since the 35mm put into the negative was CRI (color reversal internegative) - which turned out to be defective and quickly fading.

Diligent Deadite posted:

When did movies first start to have huge cast and crew lists at the end? I imagine it's probably due to union requirements and it probably happened around the mid-1970s, but when I watch a film made before that on DVD, it's always really jarring when it goes THE END -BOOM- TITLE MENU!

Around the World in 80 Days '56 is probably the biggest film to do this so early. It doesn't even have a title (which is the very last thing to appear at the end). It's 6 minutes long. If you want to extend it to the roadshow programme, it's the largest credited cast since they included a section with the names of every single extra.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

r-lam posted:

there's also, of course, the original Scarface, which by all accounts was amazing at first cut, but they had to insert a bunch of poo poo to show that he's very regretful of his life and even other gangsters are appalled by his behavior and all that, and it now feels like two completely different movies smashed together into one

Really only the last few minutes are different. Instead of Tony getting shot, he gives himself up... only to be sent to death. Thankfully, both endings exist and the DVD is the "director's cut" with the censored ending included only as an extra. The shootout scene is also slightly different, mainly to remove a little footage to make it less obvious of the incest relationship between Tony and his sister.

One of the best examples of the bad guy getting away with it is... It's a Wonderful Life. Few people realize that Potter got away with stealing the money

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

That depends on how much you want to know about Brazil, of course. The "Love Conquers All" version is something to watch once (with commentary) and never touch again. "The Battle for Brazil" is very interesting. However, the single-disc version has a Gilliam commentary that'll tell you pretty much everything you'd want to know.

I made it through the first 15 minutes, then just skipped around to check out individual scenes and the ending. Pure crap. It's amazing how editing can completely destroy the film. Even the photography is ruined thanks to the crappy print they used.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Plenty of the earliest of early films are based on newspaper articles or true-life stories.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I guess i should of said "adapted from a comic book, or tv or radio show".
I was purely interested in when did hollywood start looking at "new" media as a source, rathern than simply filming novels, folktales and myths.

I guess you could consider Birth of a Nation one of the first, as it was based on the newly established myths of the resurgent Klan.

Actually, the KKK as we know it today began after this film. Those who were in the reconstruction-era KKK actually tried to sue the new KKK because of this.

It was one of the first major features based on a popular novel, I guess. Shakespeare had been used countless times before, not to mention others. Rip Van Winkle was adapted in 1896. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pelZ43T6Y3E

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

HalPhilipWalker posted:

Is Birth of a Nation on DVD?

The D.W. Griffith film? The two "official" releases are from Kino and Image/Blackhawk Films. Kino has a small orchestra score by Jon Mirsalis, Image has a score by Eric Beheim. Both are based on the original Joseph Carl Breil score. The transfers are exactly the same, I think. However, Kino has a making-of (mostly a featurette on outtakes), extra Civil War shorts, and some other stuff like the 1930 sound re-release prologue. Image only has the making-of.

Anything else is either a pirate off Image's laserdisc of BOAN or from a crappy print.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Toebone posted:

Lots of films reference the oranges=death motif from the Godfather movies. Did the Godfather movies make it up, or did oranges have this sort of significance prior to the films, in some cultures?

There's similar motifs in other films. The original Scarface had the appearance of "X" shapes before a character (or characters) got the works. Scorsese lifted this for The Departed (and just as cleverly implemented).

Hitchcock and Kubrick usually had important scenes happen in a bathroom. For Kubrick, there's the OD scene in Eyes Wide Shut, the end of the first act in Full Metal Jacket, Ripper's end in Strangelove...

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 26, 2008

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

mikewozere posted:

Why are some films shot with a green tinge throughout? An obvious example is the Matrix, although the directors have explained the varying colours for the real world and the Matrix, but I've also seen this technique used in Bourne Supremacy and I think it was also used in Black Hawk Down. Everything just has a slightly green element to it.

Is this done for any reason particularly?

If you want to get technical, the look of the Matrix scenes in the first film were color timed the same way as 2-strip Technicolor worked. They simply desaturated the blue color layer (2-strip used only red and green). The first used photochemical grading while the sequels were digitally color timed... which ended up giving more of a green tint rather than an absence of blue.

Martin Scorsese used this on The Aviator, too. The color is timed to reflect the period the film takes place... so the 1920s and early 1930s scenes all look like 2-strip Technicolor. This is why Howard's peas look teal. The late 1930s through the 1940s are timed to look like 3-strip Technicolor (vibrant and rich colors - full spectrum).

Early 2-strip Technicolor often looks weird, but a few films utilized the limited color spectrum well. Check out Mystery of the Wax Museum some time.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
While it's flimsy, I really wish studios would make everything compact. There's no reason why a full sized DVD case needs to be used (instead of a thinpak) if it's only the disc.

If I had time and money to waste, I'd convert any DVD in an amaray case without a booklet into thinpak.

I'm annoyed by all the wasted space in releases. The recent Kubrick DVD box has no inserts, yet all in full amaray cases. It would have been great if they opted for 2-disc clear thinkpaks with the chapter listing printed on the inside.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Yeah, I had a Freudian slip.

Just to give an idea of how cool thinpaks are...

16 discs.

4 discs. If you were to put the Indiana Jones and Star Wars 4-disc sets next to each other, they would take up the same space as the complete Monty Python box.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
I don't mind automatic trailers on a few releases like Pixar. To me, the Wall-E trailer and Lifted are part of Ratatouille as a whole.

Disney doesn't do a lot of things right all the time, but I've admired how they've always made their trailers skippable. Even menu transitions are skippable.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Terminator 2 is a model example of efficiency in filming a complicated film. All the effects shots were first due to the time needed to do CGI and optical work. Then the stunt scenes and last the rest. Not full scenes at one time. So, some scenes intercut shots filmed months apart, totally seamlessly.

On the other hand, some weird choice are made like the Spatula City segment being the first scene filmed for UHF.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
The long version is a vastly superior film. I'd rank the theatrical cut as a 2.5/4, with the extended cut as 4/4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

timeandtide posted:

From what I've heard, you're right in that Apocalypse Now: Redux is more of an interesting alternative version than a better one. However, I've heard there's something like three or four cuts, with the original version of the movie being 4 or 5 hours long.

The 5-hour cut is just the first assembly. It's just whatever takes were needed to construct a very rough cut of what would match the shooting script. That's usually what happens. You're basically looking at something only making sense to the filmmakers. The 2-disc SE has some clips from the workprint and it's pretty much like watching paint dry.