Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

muscles like this? posted:

In The Matrix, what the hell is Neo supposed to be selling those people who show up at his apartment in the beginning of the movie? They treat it like its something illegal but it looks like he just gave them some minidiscs.

I took it to be some bootleg hacking poo poo, you know if the matrix was set in a pre-bittorrent/high speed internet world I guess total cyber punk looking ravers would buy bootlegs from some dude.

And a question I got. There was a movie i saw the end to years ago on AMC when it would show classic movies without commercials and other non-classic movie shows. Anyways the movie ended with some people trapped in a church, a couple women, a boy with a donkey, and two men with tommy guns. out side the church mexican (I think) army or cops were breaking through the door. The movie ends with the doors breaking and the two men opening fire. It was an black and white film and the first time I really saw an old film have a depressing ending. Anyone know what movie this is? And does anyone know of any other older american movies (40's and 50's) that dont have the typical happy ending or "the heroes stops the bad guy" endings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Most film noirs (films noir? I never know) are very bleak, but have "happy" endings due to requirements for bad guys to get what's coming to them. A few that have dark conclusions despite this are Ace in the Hole, Double Indemnity and Sweet Smell of Success. And a double-shot of Kubrick: Paths of Glory and The Killing.

I could come up with more, but that's off the top of my head.

Yeah I figured that America had that stupid rear end Hayes Rules and almost all films had to have some bullshit tacked on endings. Also figured noirs would be a good place to start... still like to know what that movie I talked about was.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Are you sure it was in English? It sounds a bit like The Exterminating Angel to me.

Like I said I saw the end on AMC, American Movie Classics.

Tender Bender posted:

In Wild Wild West, Will Smith is getting the poo poo beaten out of him by some big thug with metal under his skin. The guy raises a wrench or something to deliver the finishing blow, and then his mouth starts sparking and he dies. What the hell? I'm pretty sure you don't see any wire or anything touching him, what was the supposed cause of his death?

I remember seeing this in the theaters when it came out with my high school girlfriend and we both had no clue what happened. Most likely it was either some scene that was cut out... or a loving huge plot hole on a already lovely movie.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

I'll try to ask it here since this is a movie question.

In the movie Tekkon Kinkreet, near the end the mob guy who was leaving town with his pregnant girlfriend, was he really killed or was that a "vision" the Minotaur was showing Black as what his power could be if he embraced the darkness?

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Sporadic posted:

I'm pretty sure he made no money because he opted for a larger piece of the theatrical gross instead of a piece of the home release.

This really hosed him in the rear end since Boondock Saints had a very tiny theatrical release (wasn't it like 10 theaters) and blew up on DVD.

The movie would have been wide release if it wasn't for the Columbine massacre, but then again even if it was wide release I doubt it would have been a major blockbuster.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

trapped mouse posted:

Here's a question about Visitor Q:

...Okay, my question is basically about the entire movie. Why did the stranger hit the father on the head? Why did the father let him home? Did the father know it was him? Why did the stranger go there in the first place? If it's as the son said, why did he want to destroy the family? Did the father have sexual relations with the reporter? If not, why is he talking about his premature ejaculation when he rapes her? Why is the mother so ecstatic about lactating? Why doesn't she care when she catches her husband with his dick in a corpse? Why was the stranger so apathetic to what was going on? Why did the stranger hit the daughter? Why was the sister going back home? Why did she and the father decide to nurse from the mother?

If a movie's that disturbing, I want it to be at least half as good as it is disturbing. It seemed to make no sense.

I always took the visitor as the agent of change. The family was hosed up because you had the dad being a failure at work, mom being abused by her son and whoring herself out to buy drugs, the son getting attacked by bullies and the daughter being a prostitute. The visitor hitting the dad upside the head with the rock was the start of the change. The visitor caused the dad to well... i guess get better at work by killing the woman who got him fired. Got the mom to embrace motherhood and being a supportive wife by helping hubby get dick out of dead woman and cut up the bullies, and the son to be better to his mother by i guess hugging him, and got daughter to stop whoring by knocking her upside the head with a rock.

But all and all, I don't think Visitor Q has any real deeper meaning, it just seemed like a shock movie.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Hedenius posted:

A return to traditional family values through the Miike filter.

And rocks upside people's heads. gently caress you Dr. Phil!

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

InfiniteZero posted:

It's his day job. Superheroes tend to have high profile day jobs. To my knowledge, there has never been a superhero who destroys super beings from alternate dimensions at night but teaches middle school during the day. There should be though.

I thought for awhile Spider-man was a high school teacher, before the whole Civil War thing, and really his other day job of being a freelance photographer was also low profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Ape Agitator posted:

DTV is pretty profitable. Braindead horror sells in every country (like action) because it crosses cultural boundaries just fine. They don't have to waste money on advertising like you'd have to with theatrical releases and can instead rely on rental agreements and television deals. And with the Sci-Fi channel's (and some up and coming competitors) voracious appetite for a new bad film every week, there's a near guaranteed home for lots of them.

And there's a near infinite demand for horror. Horror fans will eat nearly anything up in the search for hidden gems. Even when it's bad it can be enjoyable as you can always appreciate the effects. CGI has gotten cheap enough that when you set the bar low enough it isn't a super strain on the budget and can still pass muster.

And often times a DTV gets some kind of theater release either in the states or in other parts of the world. So the people who made the movie gets some kind of money, just like multi-million dollar prices.