Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

A quick search through wikipedia lead me to this Marked Men (1919) There may be earlier remakes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Timby posted:

Well, just in terms of the amount it gets bandied about, Song of the South has to be pretty high on that list.

Hearts of Darkness has never been released on DVD, has it?
Hearts of Darkness was released last year. The only reason people want Song of the South released is a perception of censorship, it's a pretty terrible movie.

FitFortDanga posted:

I'm going to watch Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima soon, and I'm wondering if it matters which order I watch them in. My wife wants to see FOOF but not LFIJ, so I'd rather just watch LFIJ while waiting for her to have time for FOOF. Are there any specific characters or situations that "cross over" from FOOF that would affect how I perceive LFIJ?
The connections are just little things, about on the level of the connections between the three films in Kieslowski's three colours trilogy, except as Timby said Letters is a much stronger film.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

BooDoug187 posted:

Yeah I figured that America had that stupid rear end Hayes Rules and almost all films had to have some bullshit tacked on endings. Also figured noirs would be a good place to start... still like to know what that movie I talked about was.

Are you sure it was in English? It sounds a bit like The Exterminating Angel to me.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

Heh, what? Besides ending in a church, there's no similarity at all.

There's definitely some sort of riot and men with guns too, though I don't remember any donkeys.

Edit: yeah, no donkeys or a boy, so it's probably not it.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 25, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, I know Jane Mansfield is the Mother of the woman from Law an order SVU, but why does she have a crazy Slavic name I have no idea how to pronounce nor spell?

Also, was she one of the children that were in the car when Mansfield and her husband died?

I just watched this documentary on Anton LeVey and Hollywood and it only touched on this subject, but i was fascinated by it.

IMDB has the answer. Her name comes from her father, as you'd expect. And apparently she was in the car as were two of her brothers. Also, apparently only Jayne Mansfield died.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Akuma posted:

On the one hand, I want to see Salo because of it's pretty legendary status, and it seems well regarded. And it's being re-released by Criterion next month, so that helps. But on the other hand it sounds pretty drat disturbing and horrible and I'm not exactly going to enjoy it.

Those that have seen it, how did it make you feel? Are you glad to have seen it? Should I see it? I'm a wuss.

It's not really a bad movie, and the fakeness of everything is clear enough that it wasn't totally disturbing. On the other hand, it's not a good movie and it throws so much poo poo at you, both literally and figuratively, that you can't help but be a little disgusted and annoyed. If you watch it expecting a good movie or a bad movie or a shocking movie you'll probably be disappointed, but if you watch it just from pure curiosity it's ok. I didn't enjoy it and I'm not clamoring to watch it again, but I don't regret watching it, if only so I can say I have. I haven't seen any other Passolini films, but Hawks and Sparrows, The Gospels of St. Matthew and Mamma Roma are probably better bets.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

How exactly does one go about seeing Xew Xew/Que la fête commence/Let the Party Begin? For a film that's apparently a hair's breadth from perfection, I don't even think it's been released on DVD. I've been looking for a few months now.

For that matter, how can an English speaker get into Senegalese film? What should I look for?
For the first part there was a discussion of this on criticker and supposedly it was shown at some Brazilian film festival where those people saw it. I still think it's an in joke of some kind. Regardless you're not going to find it and judging its score and value off of a grand total of 15 votes on IMDb or 8 on criticker probably isn't a good idea.

For the second part I've only seen two Senegalese films but they'd be a good start if you're interested. It helps to know something about french colonialism in Africa. Journey of the Hyena is quite good, and available for free right now at the auteurs. http://www.theauteurs.com/cinemas/11

Xala is the other one I've seen which is a black comedy of sorts and also pretty good though the cultural barriers did hamper my enjoyment.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

deoju posted:

In what order should I watch Kielsowski's Colors Trilogy?

I know I could Google this, but I am afraid I might read something that might ruin the stories.

Blue, White, Red It's not a huge deal if you don't watch in order, just a couple of small cool things to notice.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Dalton Trumbo only directed Johnny got his Gun.

If we're looking outside of feature films Jean Genet only directed A song of Love.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 30, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

:doh:
It could be a contraction not a pluralization.
DVD is paused for headline joke.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

fenix down posted:

This has probably been asked before, but has there ever been a remake of a movie or TV show that rose above the source material or got good reviews?

The only one I could think of was The Man Who Knew Too Much - but it doesn't seem like that one would count.

The Departed seems to be more highly regarded than Infernal Affairs, though I don't share that sentiment.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

SubG posted:

and I think of very early examples of static POV shots (like the 1931 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde).

That sequence isn't static :confused:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

SubG posted:

Isn't it? I haven't seen the film in years but that's how I was remembering it.

Starts a minute in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV-FHqEi_LE It's a great sequence.

SubG posted:

but the general idea (camera on a moving platform with one or more of the actors) has to go back further.

I just watched Wings and there's a shot where two characters are on a swing and the camera moves with them. I'm not sure if this is what you mean.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 2, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

Ray does that in Charulata too (and also Teen Kanya IIRC). Now I'm wondering if he got the idea from Wings.

Isn't there also a shot like this in Renoir's Partie de Campagne? I'm sure there are other films with such shots between 1927 and 1964 that are more likely to have influenced Ray.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

I was thinking of that too, but I believe the camera is static in that shot.

I just looked it up on youtube and it seems to switch perspectives, the camera is static then there's a cut away and when it cuts back it moves with the swing. Regardless, that shot is much more similar to the one in Charulata than the one in Wings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKHr2li4Awk#t=6m20s

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

codyclarke posted:

I just noticed that John McTiernan came out with Predator, Die Hard, and The Hunt for Red October in the span of roughly 3 years. Each one of those films are arguably the greatest films of their sub-genres. That's extremely impressive.

Can anyone think of other directors that came out with 3 very important and iconic films in roughly 3 years? I'm trying to think of some and I'm blanking.

Nope, can't think of any.

Edit: Still trying still drawing a blank.

Maybe, Oops false alarm too bad

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 11, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Surprised you didn't pick three John Ford films, penismightier

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I give up, this is too hard

Seriously, though. I could do this all day. While some great directors take years between movies others are workaholics and for those you easily find 3 classics in 3 or 4 years. Godard, Truffaut, Buñuel, Peckinpah, Preston Sturges, Lubitsch, Woody Allen, Lang. That's just off the top of my head with directors whose films would be pretty recognizable by most people.

penismightier posted:

The Hunt for Red October is the greatest submarine film ever? Really?
No, he said sub genre. It's the greatest cold war submarine mystery/thriller with a twist ending.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 11, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

One could argue that Das Boot has a twist ending.

But it's not set during the cold war. Make a sub genre specific enough and every decent film is arguably the greatest.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

MajorB posted:

What is the preferred language for viewing Aguirre and Fitzcarraldo?

I think German for Aguirre and English for Fitzcarraldo.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

We Are Citizen posted:

So, if a novelist writes a screenplay based on his own novel, and the screenplay is nominated for an Oscar, would it be Best Original Screenplay or Best Adapted Screenplay? Has this ever happened?

Adapted. The last time it happened that such an author won was The Cider House rules.
You can go through the list on wikipedia to find other examples: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Writing_%28Adapted_Screenplay%29

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Aorist posted:

I started out on a Nicholas Ray viewing odyssey a while back, but I fell prey to distractions after seeing his most popular ones and never finished. Now, looking to resume, I find descriptions of Johnny Guitar amazing, but Netflix fails me and the only dvd on Amazon is Korean.

Is is possible to see Johnny Guitar right now without having to buy a VCR?

There is no R1 DVD if that's your question.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

codyclarke posted:

Just watched Breathless and I really dug it. I'd like to check out some more Godard, but christ the man has made a lot of films, and seeing them listed on wiki under various eras and whatnot is pretty daunting. Any recommendations on where I should go after this one? Should I just continue chronologically, or try a few from each era, or what?

Just stick to the early pre-1968 era. If, after watching his major works from that era, you want more then feel free to try his later work, but most of the films he's famous for are from that era. I think at this point Criterion has released all the big ones except Weekend, so focus on those.

For what it's worth my favourites are A Woman is a Woman and Alphaville.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Monkeyseesaw posted:

I remember reading that terminator 3 commercials weren't shown in California because the movie came out during the gubernatorial race.

That doesn't mean they weren't allowed to, big companies like to play it safe.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

DannoMack posted:

Is it crazy rare for a film's biggest weekend not to be it's opening weekend?

For a wide release in the last 15 years, yes. Otherwise, not really.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Power of Pecota posted:

What in the world happened with Rumor Has It?

It opened on Christmas day, which was a Sunday, so its first weekend was only one day.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ape Agitator posted:

In my opinion nothing with that much dialogue can be popcorn. Whatever you take of the movie, it really couldn't be considered popcorn for being 2hrs and 30m and that much discussion.

Does it really have more dialogue than Independence Day, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, Avatar or a dozen of other popcorn films over 2:30. I do think Inception is much better than those and has value beyond simple entertainment, but citing length and quantity of dialogue is not the way to prove it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

HKS posted:

I just watched There Will be Blood for the first time, would really like to read the original thread from 2007 but couldn't find it. Can anyone lend a hand?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2618651

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

feedmyleg posted:

I believe the popular consensus is that Redux is terrible beyond the level of being an interesting curiosity to fans of the original.

That's just crazy talk. I've only seen redux and while the the plantation scenes are out of place they don't suddenly turn it into a terrible movie, just a less great movie. I probably should watch the original version.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

What's the worst movie that has grossed the most money? I know this is subjective, so let's use Metacritic and/or Rotten Tomatoes as the guide for what qualifies as a bad movie.

Off the top of my head I'll go with Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

csidle posted:

Jackie Chan stands out way more than Jet Li on that.

The name does, but Jet Li's picture stands out more, both because of the pose and the colour contrasts.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

What was so special about Prizzi's Honor that it was nominated for so many awards? I just caught it for the first time on HBO and thought that it was pretty average. The IMDB users agree with me, because it has a 6.8 rating, yet it was up for Best Picture at the 1986 Academy Awards. What am I missing?

Jack Nicholson, Kathleen Turner, Anjelica Huston, in a film directed by John Huston. Star power, plus a weak year for Hollywood films, is my guess.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

fenix down posted:

Can someone explain this Metropolis poster to me? http://www.posterrevolution.com/gallery/item.cfm?ID=641322
It's apparently the premiere dates in Tokyo and Antwerp, but why is it French?

Tokio
20-22, Rue Verlat - Anvers-Sud
Du 16 au 22 Decembre 1927:
Guichet ouv.: 7 h. 15 Seance 8 h. 15

My guess is that the theatre was called Tokio, and it's in French because a significant number of people in Antwerp in the 20s spoke French.

Edit: A little googling confirms this is the case.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 2, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Egbert Souse posted:

While it's nice to think that public domain opens up possibilities, it does come at a price.

So your example of public domain coming at a price is a public domain film that's been restored by a non profit cultural institution? There's plenty of stuff in studio vaults just rotting away because of a lack of commercial demand. If my options are only a fraction of stuff gets restored by companies making judgments on what's the most profitable or only a fraction of stuff gets restored by institutions focusing on perceived artistic merit then I'll take the second even if neither is an ideal situation. Plus with public domain status looming companies may get off their rear end and release stuff if they know they have a short window to do so, rather than postponing things indefinitely.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

hog wizard posted:

Was Sucker Punch just a really lovely movie or did I not "get" the movie?

Sucker Punch had issues but it was a really good movie, so if you thought it was lovely then you didn't get it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

ReverendSasquatch posted:

You know that iconic prison escape scene when the escapees are fleeing along a prison wall avoiding the searchlights, when suddenly one is caught in the beam and freezes? What the hell is that from? I know it's been riffed on a thousand times, but I'm hard pressed to think of any specific examples, let alone the originator.

A nous la liberte has a scene kind of like this. Pretty sure I've seen it in some other 30s films too, but they're not coming to mind.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

haveblue posted:

An uncompressed HD movie is several hundred gigabytes, so it's only feasible to store it on devices like hard drives and tapes which are full of complex mechanisms and moving parts that have to operate to get the data back off it, so their shelf lives are tiny compared to a purely physical format like film.

Yeah cause there aren't solid state drives out there with steadily dropping prices, building redundancy into hard drive and tape backups is so difficult and film has never been known to decay or otherwise get damaged.

We're not quite be at the point where digital preservation is economically feasible on a large scale, but we're rapidly approaching it and it's already technically feasible.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

I've never seen any of Jean Renoir's American films. How urgently should I rectify this?

Not too urgently but This Land Is Mine is a pretty good film that captures the turn on your neighbor mood at the height of WWII.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Is this it:

quote:

More than 75 years after its initial release, The Birth of a Nation remains one of the most controversial films ever made and a landmark achievement in film history that continues to fascinate and enrage audiences. It is the epic story of two families, one northern and one southern, during and after the Civil War. D. W. Griffith's masterful direction combines brilliant battle scenes and tender romance with a vicious portrayal of African-Americans. It was the greatest feature-length blockbuster yet to be produced in the United States and the first to be shown in the White House. After seeing it, President Woodrow Wilson remarked it was "like writing history with lightning!"

There was a time when critics sought to de-emphasize the film's content and celebrate the picture as an artistic masterpiece, but from today's perspective, such an approach seems less tenable. However flawed The Birth of a Nation now seems as an historical epic, it is undeniable that the film itself made history. In cities and states across the country, it energized the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), which tried to have the film banned, or at least the most gruesome scenes censored. The film also inspired African-Americans to move into filmmaking as a way to offer alternative images and stories.
That last sentence is hilariously insulting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

Why?

Real motherfuckers watch Broken Blossoms.

True Heart Susie is the best Griffith film.