Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

In The Godfather, Part II, what exactly was Fredo's role in what happened at the start? Did he just let the hitmen into the compound? He tells Michael at the end that he didn't know what they were planning but that seems just ludicrous, so was he lying then? And did he actually kill the hitmen (right after the attempt Michael hypothesizes that the hitmen are already dead, killed by whoever was their contact on the inside, and sure enough they find the corpses. But that seems to require a will to act/competency that's beyond Fredo).

I get the idea of what happened but the details are lost on me. I probably didn't need to spoiler-tag that but figured I would just to be safe.

Having just watched it a week ago, I'm pretty sure that they never explicitly answer any of those questions, and at least some of that is purposely ambiguous (like exactly what Fredo knew). According to Wikipedia, the sequel novels that came out a couple years ago attempt to flesh those details out a little more, but Puzo and Coppola had nothing to do with those books.

Just for the sake of argument, I'd say the answer to who killed the hitmen is probably Johnny Ola, since he seems to be the only major underling of Hyman Roth we are ever introduced to. Otherwise, it's someone we never really see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Boofchicken posted:

At the end of each movie where they have the standard blurb of "All persons in this film are fictitious, any resemblance to actual people, living or dead, is entirely coincidental", when did this become the norm? Was it one particular movie that spoofed someone and they threw a fit, so that had to be tacked on to the credits?

According to Wikipedia, it comes from a lawsuit against MGM for Rasputin and the Empress: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasputin_and_the_Empress#Lawsuit