Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

twistedmentat posted:

I had a question, What was the First movie to have a nationwide release, assuming it would be something like the Wizard of Oz or Gone With the Wind, or even Birth of a Nation. I checked around, it was loving JAWS.

I know this is from a few pages back, but I'm pretty sure Billy Jack (which predates Jaws by four years) was actually the first film to be rolled out simultaneously nationwide,

Edit:

Wax Tadpole posted:

Ok I have a good one for all of you.

:words:

I can't help you here (I had a brief search but IMDB and Wikipedia were both busts and the film title makes it next to impossible to Google) but I just wanted to say that that sounds like one of the best marketing gimmicks ever.

Daduzi fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 1, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Wax Tadpole posted:

That's exactly what the problem is, it's pointless to put "The Game Game" in any search engine.

Best I was able to find was this which at least is confirmation you didn't imagine the whole thing.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Might I suggest that Dark Knight discussion may be better suited to one of the dozen or so Dark Knight threads floating around?

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Sizzlechest posted:

Question about "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button:"

He sends postcards from Liverpool and Glasgow, but then he says the tug boat is working up and down the east coast of America. Huh? Also, do tug boats usually travel across the Atlantic to find work in Russia?!

It was converted into a salvage boat which started off taking contracts on the East Coast then later took a contract to clean up salvage in Murmansk (salvage vessels tend to go wherever the money is). Presumably they stopped in Liverpool and Glasgow on the way.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

I was watching Cloverfield today and noticed a curious credit: "Sound editing at: 20th Century Fox Studios". Can anyone explain to me why a Paramount produced film would have sound editing done at a different studio, and is this the norm and I just failed to notice it before?

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

WeaponX posted:

In professional wrestling, there is always a face and a heel or a good guy and a bad guy. Ram was defaulted as the hero because he spent his career as a face, a heroic character who faced heels like The Sheik, the mohawk punk guy, or the crazy staples guy. It doesn't seem strange for the face to be given the microphone to make a rousing speech and to go off and win the match in such heroic fashion.

The Ayatollah even says when Randy asks him if he wants to run through some moves for the match "You're the face, I'm the heel. Done."

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Oddio posted:

I recently watched Synecdoche, New York; and I'd like to read the SA discussion on it, but I cannot find it.

Has it already hit the archives?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2944116 but I'm pretty sure it's archived.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3168853 is a shorter discussion that may not be archived.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

I'm working on a presentation on Greek history for a cultural class and was wondering if anyone knows of a film with a decent shot of ancient Athens, capturing if not the whole city then at least some of the major landscapes and general cityscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, that makes sense. As I said, in the QoS thread I got "Lol! You don't know about opera? Loser!".

Well to be fair that was because you would not shut up about how it couldn't possibly be just a part of the opera.