Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
With Aguirre, the Wrath of God which is the original audio? German or English?

Does it really matter which one I choose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

twistedmentat posted:

I just watched Dark City with the Ebert Commentary. I know he did commentary for his movie Beneth The Valley of the Dolls, but are there any other movies he's done commentary for?

They are all listed on his website.

Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Crumb, Dark City, Stories of Floating Weeds (Criterion Collection) [only did commentary for Floating Weeds 1959] and Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Akuma posted:

On the one hand, I want to see Salo because of it's pretty legendary status, and it seems well regarded. And it's being re-released by Criterion next month, so that helps. But on the other hand it sounds pretty drat disturbing and horrible and I'm not exactly going to enjoy it.

Those that have seen it, how did it make you feel? Are you glad to have seen it? Should I see it? I'm a wuss.

It's not a necessity to watch.

I thought it was interesting up until the circle of poo poo segment, at which point, the movie seems to dropped everything and turned into "we are going to shock you, check out this taboo/gross thing"

There are way worse movies out now (a recent one I watched was the Masters Of Horror episode Imprint) and I'd only recommend it if you really feel the need to say "I watched Salo"

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Mr. Gone posted:

Can anyone pinpoint when/why DVDs started carrying the disclaimer that commentary tracks do not represent the views of the production and distribution companies?

I hate that chickenshit disclaimer, and I always wonder why they started putting that in, because I'm certain that it's not there on a ton of my older DVDs. For some reason I think I remember first seeing it on the One Hour Photo DVD.

Seems to have started in 2001

Can't get the full article but

Video Store April 7, 2002 posted:

Studios are taking a proactive approach to legally protecting themselves from filmmakers who are perhaps a bit too, uh, talkative.

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment recently began including in its DVDs a written disclaimer announcing that the views expressed on the commentary track do not reflect the studio's opinion.

It's a practice that was adopted by Buena Vista Home Entertainment about a year ago. And while some other studios have no plans to include disclaimers, at least one other supplier, Paramount Home Entertainment, is considering the move.

Fox's first disc containing the message is Joy Ride, which streeted March 12. The move was suggested by Fox's ...

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-85902169.html

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 27, 2008

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Shnitzel posted:

Here's what I am remembering

A (presumibly bad guy) is looking through a microscope (it could be something else along those lines) in a lab (or something), and tells another guy
"hey yo dude check this poo poo out" so the other guy comes over and as he is focusing, blades come out of the eyepeice and stab him in the eyes.

It was pretty gruesome and sweet

We Are Citizen posted:

No, it was a booby-trapped microscope, nothing supernatural. I've seen this scene as well, but I can't remember what movie it was.

This one is driving me crazy. I know I've seen that movie but I can't think of the name.

I want to say it's The Phantom.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 14, 2008

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

twistedmentat posted:

Actually, speaking of that, was the reason Duffy made zero money save his advance from Boondock Saints because he pretty much just hosed off any business meetings and didn't bother reading any contract? That's how i remember it from the doc, but someone recently told me that was wrong.

I'm pretty sure he made no money because he opted for a larger piece of the theatrical gross instead of a piece of the home release.

This really hosed him in the rear end since Boondock Saints had a very tiny theatrical release (wasn't it like 10 theaters) and blew up on DVD.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 14, 2008

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Human Tornada posted:

This probably gets asked a lot but which DVD version of the original Night of the Living Dead should I get, assuming I don't care about extras and only want the best quality transfer?

If you have a small amount of cash and a Blu-Ray player, I think there was a region free version released in the UK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Which version of Once Upon A Time In America should I watch? 3h 49mn or 4h 11mn?