Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

A quick search through wikipedia lead me to this Marked Men (1919) There may be earlier remakes though.

It might not qualify as a remake per se, but the first two adaptations of Frankenstein were made in 1910 and 1915.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Dr. Coffee posted:

And an unrelated question, on almost every DVD I have ever watched there is a noticeable pause about half way through the film. It only appears for a fraction of a second but it is still kind of apparent. Any one know what I'm talking about?

Most dvds record two layers, one on top of the other, in order to increase the quality. The pause is the laser recalibrating to read through to the second layer. Somehow, manufacturers haven't figured out to hide layer changes between scenes or in other places where they wouldn't be noticed.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Grape The Alex posted:

I've been trying to find out if this movie that I'm thinking of is an actual movie or if I'm just making it up --

It's (if it exists) a horror movie, the scene that I remember is of a man on a gurney, in a tunnel, and then an air-raid siren comes on and that's when everything turns evil/the monsters show up/etc.

I haven't been able to find out anything about it by searching for it online, and all of the people that I've asked about it have had no clue. It seems like I'm probably making it up, and it's a hybrid of real movies (Jacob's Ladder/???) but I remember it really vividly and it seems like it's something that I saw. I thought I'd ask here, maybe someone knows.

Jacob's ladder has a man in a gurney in a tunnel and monsters; Silent Hill, based on the video game series that was strongly influenced by Jacob's Ladder, has the air raid siren whenever the monsters come out.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Shnitzel posted:

Me and my friend have a bet on whether or not someone gets stabbed in the eye via a microscope in the first Mission Impossible.

Does anyone have a screencap or know if this actually happens? I tried googling for an hour with no results, its pretty loving hard.

I know that in The Phantom the librarian gets offed something like that, but I was curious if this happens in the first MI

e: we don't own either movie and its 2am in the morning.

There is a man wearing goggles that are sending a video transmission, who gets a spike through his face as people are watching the feed (it's in the first 20 or so minutes). No microscope that I can recall though.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Ape Agitator posted:

As for Bonnie and Clyde, the 60s were an awesome time and there is a lot of experimentation going on. That covers nearly every facet of filmmaking, including sex. I wouldn't say that Beatty and Dunaway didn't know how to act in a sex scene at the time, more that they were going for a particular immediacy and improvisation to the sex scene so it intentionally comes across unstructured and kind of anti-Hollywood.

That's just my opinion though.
Interestingly, in the original script of Bonnie & Clyde, Clyde was supposed to be bisexual, attracted to both Bonnie and Moss, but the writers couldn't get this past the studios at the time. Beatty was ok with it, but eventually had the writers change it in order to get the picture made.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
I have a real question. What is the source of the quote "The world goes on for millions of years and how long is a man's life? A handful of years and then an eternity under the ground! Why does he have to die almost the moment he's been born?"

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Two Finger posted:

What exactly defines a movie as a deconstruction of a genre? I've heard of Falling down being referred to as a deconstruction of the angry white man genre, but to me it was just an extremely well-done version of it.

Does it become a deconstruction when it plays to the stereotypes - cop on his last day, man losing it in a traffic jam - or is this just a factor?

I wrote at length about this before on my blog; the conclusion I came to was basically that it comes down to either auteur theory, or whatever interpretation you derive from the work (i.e. the "death of the author") depending on which school of thought you subscribe to. Still, there are some very interesting cases to be considered. For instance, in Se7en, anger and whiteness both play major roles in the plot; however, the cop who is on his last day is black, and it's his partner who's the angry white man - could this be construed as a deconstruction of the tropes of the genre? By contrast, in 8 1/2, Marcello Mastroianni is in a traffic jam (in a dream sequence), and is generally dissatisfied, but not outwardly angry - is this perhaps a prefiguring of AWM before the genre began to take hold in the early to late seventies?

It's actually pretty hard to nail down what is and isn't a deconstruction when you consider the origins of the genre. Bad Lieutenant and Taxi Driver are usually considered to be the defining films of AWM, but if you watch them from that context, neither of them actually fulfill most of the criteria - Harvey Keitel's character isn't so much angry as conflicted most of the time, and Travis Bickle's better tirades are mainly directed inwardly, or spoken when he's alone. It's also interesting to note that if you were to overlook 'white', probably the quintessential AWM actor of this decade is Denzel Washington. If that's the case then his entire resume could be considered a deconstruction of the genre (Man on Fire, John Q., American Gangster, etc).

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

The Croc posted:

Ok maybe someone can help me with this.

I'm looking for the name of a movie where a guy is hit by a car, launched into the air and shot with a rocket launcher.

I know the movie is awful I also think the guy was on a skateboard, he also shot one of the people in the car before the above happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOBbmdJTLdE

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
The release rights for a single movie might be owned by different distributors for each market. Region locking helps make sure that only the company that owns the rights within a region is selling to that region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Factor Mystic posted:

Continuing the huge Triangle spoilers you definitely should not read:

My questions are:
- How many Jesses are on the Aeolus. I think it's three- The one that killed the masked Jess; the one that ends up watching things from the lower deck; and the one that ends up watching things from the upper deck. (This is not counting the one that's coming off the capsized boat, replacing the masked on just killed). If this is the case-
Possibly more, because we see two different versions of the end of the axe duel, implying I think that there were at least 4 Jess's at a time, although we only see three iterations from the main Jess's perspective. Maybe one is left over on the boat as the final survivor until Jess Prime returns to land and then boards the yacht again? The idea I think is that however many times Jess escapes the time loop on the boat, she is still caught in a larger loop that eventually takes her back to the boat. The main failure of the movie I think is that while we clearly see that Jess can change things, we are left unsure whether her changes will eventually allow her to escape, and if not, what exactly is it that keeps her trapped. If it's guilt over her relationship with her son, why does attempting to rectify this not close the loop? In my estimation it doesn't work as an existential concept any more than as a logical construct like Timecrimes.