Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ask Me About Bugs posted:

No, it actually does crush the cab. Remember, the SWAT truck has to swerve because the Batmobile is coming straight at it, and right behind it is the garbage truck. I've watched this shot about half a dozen times, and the cab does get absolutely flattened. I was actually wondering the exact same thing about this (how he gets around the no kill rule).

Batman spoiler-ish dicussion:

I think Batman draws a distinction between actively taking a life and having someone die as an unintended consequence of him doing his job. Just look at Batman Begins - for all intents and purposes, he kills Ras. He can try to justify it anyway he wants, but that right there was some negligent homicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Satch posted:

I have yet to see any edition in a plastic case, SE or otherwise.

The BluRay version is in a regular BluRay case.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Has anyone ever bothered to catalog the recommendations from various threads? I reactivated my Netflix account and want to start renting some horror movies, but I don't want to poo poo up CineD with yet another "Recommend some horror movies!" thread.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Affi posted:

My girlfriend hates good movies :(:(:(

What are bad movies that I might like to watch with her? She loves romantic comedies.

Help me find a good movie disguised as a horrible lovely movie she would like!

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

The only thing that comes immediately to mind is 10 Things I Hate About You.

Or Mean Girls.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ProfessorClumsy posted:

You know, with all this complaining about "shakey-cam", I wonder if I'm the only person on Earth who is actually very fond of that particular style?

I like "shakey-cam" fine when it's used well, but this is rarely the case.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

spikenigma posted:

But then why lace the rooms history with various specifics , to drive the observant viewer mad? :confused:

Like the three paintings. Why those three specifically when it doesn't look like the people in the painting (the paintees???) were ever in the room or commited suicide?

It also seems like the events depicted (when the pictures start moving) could have happened long before the hotel was built. I think there was a tudor painting?

Why the specific number 1408? (checked the year, nothing out of the ordinary), 1+4+0+8 = 13 of course. But presumably room 1309 has had nothing bad happen to it, or any other numbered room.

Did everybody who stayed at the room die?, or was it just the 53?

Why was the uneaten food in the hallway focussed on when the room service person was clearly there?

Who sent the postcard in the first place?, are there any clues on it as to the sender?

Argh! :psyboom:

You weren't too observant.

The 14th floor is actually the 13th floor; there is no room 1309. A lot of old buildings don't have a floor labeled "13" because people are superstitious, so floor 14 is actually floor 13, so you have a room whose number adds up to 13 on floor 13. I'm pretty sure this was explicitly stated in the movie.

Everyone that stayed in the room died - it was likely that each manager made it off-limits after someone died, then when he was replaced the new manager didn't believe the hype and let someone have it, and they died, at which point the manager made it off-limits, and so on.

Details about the room were focused on because that's world-building. It wouldn't have been as interesting a story if we were just told the room was evil and kills people and it was left at that. The pictures were just flavor, not background events.

The rest of your questions are not going to get answered. That's the beauty of the story. King's best works leave the horror largely (or wholly) unexplained - it's doubtful that any explanation he could come up with would be as interesting as what you imagine based on the details given.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

WebDog posted:

First Contact is generally the best of the TNG films, plot niggles aside, it's the most accessible as it's sci-fi action.

Someone in CineD summed up my issues with First Contact (and really all TNG movies) in a very succinct way. For seven seasons, we saw Captain Picard always do everything in his power to find a diplomatic solution. In the movies, he turns into Rambo with phasers.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

DevilOnYourShoulder posted:

Let's be fair- he was up against the one enemy that HAS no diplomatic solution. I kind of got the impression he was glad of the chance to finally cut loose on those motherfuckers who put him through hell.

And this is likely why First Contact is considered the best of the TNG movies. Unfortunately, Picard acts the same way in every movie.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Speaking of Terminator 2, why does the T-1000 show up naked? His clothes are made from his body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The T-1000 is liquid metal though, no living parts. So how did it come back at all?