Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Jack Does Jihad posted:

What was the first samurai movie that popularized or featured the stereotypical duel in which two samurai run past each other and seemingly miss each other as they strike, then they stand still and one falls over?

I always thought the first time it was done was in Samurai III: Duel at Ganryu Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
This is what I was thinking of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhbCEi_Aac4 The actual part you're talking about is at around minute 4 if you're particularly impatient.

They're not exactly running at each other, but there's still that ambiguity of who wounded who.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
What's the name of the super-early film guy who did lots of sequences of peoples' gaits?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
He did all sorts of animals too, and all sorts of racist studies of indigenous people. It was like late 19th-century. I can't google it.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Yes, thank you. I feel less ashamed I could not remember that name, but now I won't forget it.

e: Whoa, wait what? He killed a guy?

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 21, 2013

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Art would be so much better if it didn't have an audience.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Ebert's Glossary of Movie Terms is far better option than TVTropes.

Ebert posted:

"Fruit Cart!"
An expletive used by knowledgeable film buffs during any chase scene involving a foreign or ethniclocale, reflecting their certainty that a fruit cart will be overturned during the chase, and an angry peddler will run into the middle of the street to shake his fist at the hero's departing vehicle.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

SaintFu posted:

The Last Wave

I fuckin' love that ending. I tell everybody to watch that movie but it's a pretty hard sell.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Maxwell Lord posted:

Batman is interesting as it's an early example of the modern calculated blockbuster model.

In fact the earliest, according to Tom Schatz.

Schatz, 27-28 posted:

The term “Big Six” was commonly used in the industry trade press to reference either the conglomerates or their studios, which were increasingly adept at coordinating their respective operations and objectives. Key to this effort, of course, was the Hollywood blockbuster, which was re-engineered to accommodate the changing – and steadily expanding – media landscape. That process began at the very outset of the conglomerate era with the “blockbuster summer” of 1989, when hit sequels to the Indiana Jones, Lethal Weapon, Back to the Future, and Ghostbusters franchises were eclipsed by Batman (Tim Burton), the biggest box-office hit in a record year when the domestic box office surpassed $5 billion for the first time ever. Released just as the Time Warner merger took effect, Batman created a new paradigm for Hollywood blockbusters. In studio head Terry Semel’s words: “The first picture that blew us out [after the merger] was Batman. . . . It was the first time we utilized the whole machine of the company. The marketing, the tie-ins, the merchandising, the international.” (Brown, 1996). Despite the huge success in 1990 of more modest films like Pretty Woman (Garry Marshall, US), Home Alone (Chris Columbus, US), and Ghost (Jarry Zucker, US), the studios inexorably turned their attention away from mid-range star-genre projects in favor of event films and “tentpole” pictures – i.e., mega-hits that could carry a studio’s entire production slate and drive the parent company’s far-flung entertainment operations as well.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

cheerfullydrab posted:

Is there an alternate universe where "gritty" superhero movies that are supposed to be taken seriously don't explode in the 21st century? Where superhero stuff is just for children, and grown rear end people talking about it is kind of not okay? This is partially based on my disgust for the whole thing and actually being interested by stuff based on those posts about the 80's Batman being engineered as such a huge blockbuster. Is there a way that studios and such could have hosed up in the late 80's or the last 20 years that would have kept comic book stuff more confined to the world of children or weird nerds?

Not really given that the whole reason it happened was that they perfected a business model that involved little to no risk. Luckily for you and me, the world of contemporary cinema is not all big-budget toys fighting toys. Just gotta go exploring.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

FreshFeesh posted:

Speaking of Master and Commander, why hasn't there been another one? Maybe it's just a personal enjoyment for the film but most everyone I talk to really enjoyed it, and there is plenty of source material for the further adventures of Aubrey and Maturin.

It didn't make enough money to justify more films to the higher-ups. But whatever, if I were in charge, I'd give Peter Weir a blank check.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Nolanar posted:

It's hard to articulate without actually knowing what that something else is.

That cryptic feeling you're having is exactly what Tarkovsky was going for. There is no true explanation because that would be like explaining God.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
He had crazy subconscious inspiration for a lot of of his creative decisions. He also hated critics who sought to assign metaphors and symbols to his work. I'm not saying he's got autonomy over how to watch the movie or anything, but I think I've found that any of his motifs are beyond rational articulation. I hope you didn't think I was trying to shut you down. I'm just jazzed somebody watched that great movie.

Hell, this guy took a crazy stab at talking about it a few years ago and it's not a bad read.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Bugblatter posted:

He uses that dog (or a similar one) in several of his movies, and in a way that always seems to have a lot of thematic weight. Especially in Nostalghia (which desperately needs an HD release. I'd name it as his most beautiful film, yet its only video form is a DVD of minimal quality)

It got one. :)

Bugblatter posted:

he was pretty serious about his catholicism

Orthodox. :eng101:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
It freaks the poo poo out of me. Doyle's driving so recklessly that it doesn't look like it's choreographed, so my mind finds itself in a place where I believe he could crash at any moment. The car scene in To Live and Die in LA is even crazier in the same way.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Everblight posted:

So if the cops are lovely people, and the crooks are lovely people, then who are we supposed to root for?

...yes.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
That's a bummer to hear. The one for The Sacrifice was immaculate.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

poonchasta posted:

I would be annoyed if there was a bunch of poo poo listed on Netflix that was grayed out and unwatchable.

There is, but just not visibly. Their library is junk.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Their Boyhood review made me realize they have really bought way too into the mainstream Hollywood narrative zeitgeist if they think that movie has poor storytelling and characterization.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

boom boom boom posted:

What are some major movies that actually have plot holes? I googled for info, but it turns out everyone on the internet think a plot hole is just a character acting stupidly or a movie not explaining something.

The Stepford Wives with Matthew Broderick makes zero sense. One minute the wives are robots dispensing cash out their mouths and the next they're actually the original wives who have been augmented.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Bolek posted:

Why oh why do these websites have rankings out of a hundred. What kind of maniac goes "hmm yes, this is a 35"

I looked it up and I have two 35s. One is First Knight and the other is Ghoulies. Feels about right.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Yeah but this was already possible and better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKxkZiNWaBs

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I watched Fantasia every day for years as a little kid and I have grrrreat taste so it's probably a good bet.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Skwirl posted:

Swap any one of those out with Parallax View and you have a better trilogy of paranoia and power.

Klute, All the President's Men, and The Parallax View are the trilogy of paranoia and power.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Hat Thoughts posted:

Good film textbooks? For like, critical stuff

Could you be more specific? Textbook as in a giant hardcover you use in a classroom? Do you mind it being dry or academic? Narrative film, documentary, experimental? Making film vs. watching film?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Black Hole, much like Tron, is a matte-lover's dream.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Sleeveless posted:

Yeah, saying it was shot on an iPhone is a little misleading because while they do use the phone as the camera it's still using professional lenses and rigs for everything else.

It still saves a bunch of money, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
The shot at :45 of this Tron: Legacy clip is a tribute to some vintage off road documentary and I cannot for the life of me remember the title. Can anyone help me figure it out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W4FKd3drAk