Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

roffle posted:

So, for American Psycho--

The popular opinion is that it was entirely fantasy, from beginning to end? My initial impression was that Bateman had indeed committed that series of crimes, for the most part, and they were all covering it up because he was the son of a very important person. Then his lawyer calls him by some completely different name and talks about what a pussy Bateman is, so I also thought maybe instead he was this pussy who imagined doing these killings and whatnot and saw himself as this incredibly macho, sophisticated killer when he was really sort of a passive wimp, and the lawyer simply mistakes him for someone else. I also had some theory that related to the fact that he looked almost identical to some guy but I forgot what it was. I just have no idea.

He imagined it. This exchange:

Bryce: He makes himself out to be a harmless old codger, but inside... inside...
Bateman: [voice-over] ..."but inside" doesn't matter.

Patrick is admitting to himself, and the audience, that he is not special or unique or different from his co-workers. If his murderous thoughts were actually manifested and he killed people, he would be, but he only has thoughts. He's only a depraved individual in his own head, and that doesn't mean anything to anyone else.

At least that's what I thought.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 21, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
It was just a Bill Murray cameo. I don't think he was intended to be anyone's dad. It's just funny, to have his character seem important and then leave him behind.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

jjack229 posted:

What is up with the recurring theme of humans are good but flawed (or more specifically those qualities that make us good also make us flawed, but it is worth it because we are so good)?

Going back to some older sci-fi like It Conquered the World (1956), Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956), and The Stranger (1973) argue that sure we hate and kill and rape and pillage and burn, but we also LOVE and that is what makes us so great.

I have also seen it in a few different fantasy stories, where several races exist but it always seems that man is supposed to be the best race. Even though elves (and sometimes other races), are shown to be smarter, more peaceful, and less destructive to their surroundings, they will come up with some reason why man is better (I believe LotR was along the lines of "men are greedy and corrupt, but they have courage.")

Seeing the trailer for Surrogates looks like yet another "sure we could end crime and everyone could be happy, but crime and hatred is a part of being human, and humans are so great."

I could see a few good movies that were to take an intelligent look at the relationship between violence and "being human", but are we really such an insecure race that we need to keep making movies to justify our actions and tell ourselves that we are the great race?

Old post, I know, but some of this is anti-Commie relics.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

The Maestro posted:

The concept of art/media replacing life experience is not that new or confusing, you guys are just jumping on the kook because he bothered to bring Japanese women into the equation. And everybody knows only the gooniest of goons talk about Japanese women

The problem with both the Sevigny posts and the Japanese women posts is that he's not actually specifying what is so weird and un-natural, and therefore we have no idea if he's making a real point about art replacing life or if he just can't fathom that people have sex in different ways.

I've seen the Brown Bunny scene and I honestly have no idea what the gently caress he's talking about when it comes to the scene being different than how real people interact. It looked fine to me.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Are there examples of movies made by reasonable talent that were so bad that even the makers didn't really want to release them?

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Anyways, one hypothesis is that as directors have lots of success, they start getting blank checks, and they sort of go nuts and take big risks that often don't work out. That's kind of the premise of this podcast, which goes through the filmographies of directors to answer these sorts of questions. They have a Cameron miniseries and a "Spielberg in the 80s through 00s" series, so you can listen to those two if you want an answer better than mine. It's a great podcast and I highly recommend it!

It could also be simply that the people and processes around their movies change. Different producers, writers, editors, different types of projects offered to them, etc.

Spielberg's latter years are definitely not 'going nuts and taking big risks.'

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Do you have anyone in mind other than Spielberg (who I think made some of his best movies in the 00s) and Cameron (who has made, by my last count, one movie in the 00s)? My "very good 80s and 90s directors" list includes people who made some bomb-rear end 00s movies: Martin Scorsese, David Lynch, Leos Carax, Jim Jarmusch, Peter Greenaway, Wong Kar-Wai, and Michael Mann (Miami Vice is good, fight me).

Looking at a random list of "Best 80s Directors" that I just found online (it's really more 'anglo directors who made some well-known movies in the 80s):

John Hughes
Steven Spielberg
John Carpenter
Robert Zemeckis
Rob Reiner
Martin Scorsese
James Cameron
John Landis
Ridley Scott
Richard Donner
Oliver Stone
David Cronenberg
David Lynch
Ivan Reitman
Harold Ramis
Terry Gilliam
Werner Herzog
Robert Altman

John Hughes just didn't do anything after the 80s. Carpenter just mostly retired in the 00s. Zemeckis spent the whole decade doing those weird CGI movies, he's probably the most glaring 'turned to poo poo' example here. Rob Reiner, I dunno. He was never that good. Landis has the whole 'deaths while shooting a movie' thing, though his career took a few years to really slow down (was that because of how long the trial was? I don't know). Ridley Scott just loves making movies regardless of their quality. He arguably had his resurgence in the 00s. Donner just had some projects that weren't too good. He's old as hell. Stone went out of style and is another clear 'turned to poo poo' example. Cronenberg's had some of his biggest critical successes in the 00s. Lynch has mostly just not done anything. Ivan Reitman and Harold Ramis were probably never particularly good directors in the first place. Gilliam has an old gypsy curse. Herzog has always been a bit hit or miss. Altman died.

from the 90s, into the 'got worse' pile, you can toss in Spike Lee.