Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?

Mad Monk posted:

I was 6, it was hands-down the best thing ever. Had all the toys and what-not.

Yep, and I remember getting the toys a year before I finally got to see the movie. I missed out the first time around and my grandad took me to a dilapidated theater in downtown Jackson, Tennessee (the old Paramount Theater). 1978. The figures weren't that easy to get when they first came out if I recall. I remember getting r2d2 and c3p0, Obi-Wan, and Luke but I had a bitch of a time getting Leia, Darth and Chewbacca for some reason. I had one of those original vinyl cape Jawas that are worth thousands of dollars now as well (drat if I didn't rip mine's cape off because I thought it was lame and looked nothing like the Jawas in the movie). The first vehicle I had was the landspeeder because it was cheap and fun.

Yes, sir, it was a big deal to us 6 year olds with the toys and the store displays showing all the figures and etc...

The biggest debate after the first Star Wars movie amongst people I was familiar with (friends, older kids from church, etc...) was whether Darth Vader would be back in the next movie or not. Seems kinda silly now but when you've only seen the movie once you really can't remember if he got that tie under control or went spinning off into space. We didn't have any way to go back and check that I know of, except the Marvel Comics Adaptation but it was off with a few scenes included that weren't in the movie and some things left out if I recall.

Then it was a big deal all over again once Empire came out and the debates started over whether Darth was really Luke's father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU