Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Ladder Theory
Jun 7, 2005

This is a prop for a TF2 map I'll never finish. I think I'm starting to get the style down at least
screenshot is in HLMV so it's kind of blurry i guess

Fish Ladder Theory fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 21, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This may be old hat to you guys who are experienced at lighting, but for those of us who don't know much about it I found this to be a pretty good rundown of light itself.

It doesn't actually go into detail about lighting a scene or anything like that but it does give a really good rundown of different types and effects of light. It seems equally well suited reading for 3D as it does for photography.

Kirby
Dec 2, 2005

Low Altitude Flyer
^ It's in the OP :c00lbert: . Found it really useful when I started lighting.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oops sorry, must have missed it. It's an awesome read even though I'm nowhere near lighting yet :)

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

oh god, it's.... THE DOOOO!
Something I found recently which could be put in to the OP was a wikipedia type page on Mental Ray. Specifically MR Physical Sun and Sky. Whenever I was using it the colours were being washed out but the effects looked great. This page teaches you how to fix it, it basically involves the gamma and fixing it, as well as adjusting a few other settings.

Site: http://toi.bk.tudelft.nl/toi-pedia/index.php?title=Mental_Ray_Physical_Sky_tutorial

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

Correct gamma workflow for physical accuracy was one of the weirdest/hardest things for me to wrap my head around. I'll find a link to post here in a bit.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.
oops,
nevermind.

Bantaras fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 28, 2008

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.
I've been working on this model in my spare time at work

and the face after a crash course about skintone from a friend

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

AlphaMole posted:

I've been working on this model in my spare time at work

and the face after a crash course about skintone from a friend

I really like how that texture is looking :3 I'm planning on doing a bunch of DS-spec characters soon for fun/portfolio but I've never done super-low poly work before - any tips?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
First thing you want to do is make sure you know what texture resolutions to use. On the game I worked on a prop would normally have a maximum of 64x64 with 16 colours. On some better props you can use 256 colours. Index these down with photoshop, so the first thing you'll notice is it can be a bitch to get the texture looking nice. Say if you're making a prop you'd normally be allowed like 200 triangles or something. Characters more like 1k depending on how many you have on screen.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.
Been plugging away at learning modelling. I posted a head model waay back in the old thread but never updated - I ended up giving up on the head for now and doing a rather lovely office. Nothing worth posting, but a good ground to learn some more skills.

I'm now working on my first real complete piece, a post-apocalyptic scene that's not really very apocalyptic yet. Comments appreciated.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Haha awesome, reminds me of fallout! You need a retro TV sitting on a chair with rabbit ear antennae.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
That scene is neat, what is the area of focus the scene? The table? or the cityscape to the right? You can add in some elements to help frame things a little better, when i get home I'll do a few sketches to show what I mean....

Just waiting for SAG to sink/slow down the visual effects and film industry.

90% of SAG members are people that don't do meaningful work on a regular basis [ie. Waiters, baristas, etc], and typically will vote for a strike because it doesn't impact them since they don't work for a living in that industry.

:argh: Thats what happens when you allow anyone to join into a union who doesn't actually work in that field.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 25, 2008

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.
Continuing work on my scene - can't get a good layout of the cityscape yet. I may have underestimated just how much work there is to be done...

BigKOfJustice - I'm... undecided. My original plan was to have the blast crater be the focus in the right hand corner of the scene, although my current city layout doesn't show that. Still planning on going that route I think, although I wanted the chair/table to be a focus as well, and I don't want them fighting for the viewer's eye.

Comments/crits welcome as always.

Useless fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 25, 2008

oldyogurt
Aug 14, 2004

Son of a--
Muldoon
That looks really cool. My crit is that the interior looks awfully intact considering the building was bombed and has been exposed to the weather for who knows how long (particuarly the broom, but maybe someone is supposed to be still going in there?)

oldyogurt fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 25, 2008

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
The broom's a low-poly stand-in until I get around to modeling the high-poly version. Still undecided as to the best way to do the bristles - is splines the best method? I was afraid it'd end up being absurdly high-poly and kill my old workhorse of a machine.

As for the weathered look, I suppose I should have explained - I'm going for a "next day" type situation - lots of dirt, dust and debris but still fresh destruction - perhaps some smoke in the far horizion of fires still burning. The chair and table will eventually have bionoculars and a radio - signs the chair is a lookout for any hope of a rescue effort.

I'm also thinking about adding a helicopter in the background to indicate an admittedly weak rescue attempt going on.

Will update soon with a new render.

A Sober Irishman
Sep 13, 2007

"He killed 16 Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator."

"Really? His house looked like shit."
Useless - That is looking really good at the moment. I do like the layout of the city in the second render rather than the first, as it does leave the scene open for additional points of interest, which is what I'm sure you intended.

I do prefer the dawn/late afternoon lighting displayed in the first render, however, and I think that that lighting and colour tone will highlight dark smoke in the distance, as well as strengthening the feelings of loneliness/depression that one may have when in a post apocalyptic situation.

Also, whether or not you decide to add a blast crater as another point of interest or not, the eye is still drawn first to the interesting foreground elements of the chair and table, so I would make those your main focus. And as for the broom, have you considered possibly using the Hair simulator in whatever program you're using?

Just my thoughts and suggestions.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

quote:

Don’t waste time on elaborate packaging. All you need is a marker, and an easy to read typeface.

This was one thing in the OP or second post that I thought deserved some discussion. One of the things that I've always felt, and has always been pounded into me is the quality of the reel submitted needs to feel very professional. Now this doesn't mean you need to have thermal pressed DVDs with an incredibly detailed and overworked identity logo. But simply writing your name and contact info in sharpie on a DVD really doesnt cut it. I've spoken with several reel reviewers that kind of shocked me when they said anything with handwritten DVD labels would get trashed almost immediately and they'd often only look at the work on a lark.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Though I don't work in an HR dept. I think the general idea was to emphasize CONTENT over packaging. Lots of reels have pretty packaging but little quality content. I think that was the point the OP was trying to make. The opposite is better overall (better content and little packaging) but anything to improve the presentation of your work is always good.

This isn't about how great your graphic design is . . . it is all about the 3d content.

Useless: Great work. Curious to know how you are going to handle the dust and debris etc.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

treeboy posted:

This was one thing in the OP or second post that I thought deserved some discussion. One of the things that I've always felt, and has always been pounded into me is the quality of the reel submitted needs to feel very professional. Now this doesn't mean you need to have thermal pressed DVDs with an incredibly detailed and overworked identity logo. But simply writing your name and contact info in sharpie on a DVD really doesnt cut it. I've spoken with several reel reviewers that kind of shocked me when they said anything with handwritten DVD labels would get trashed almost immediately and they'd often only look at the work on a lark.

I don't know what companies those reel reviewers work for.

Things with major studios, goes in this order:

1. Resume review
2. Sorted
3. Reviewed
4. Sorted
5. Contact if needed
6. Interviewed
7. Sorted
8. Ignored, interviewed again or hired.

My only requirement is the reel to be legible. I've seen blank dvd's that had no contact information on it, or on the reel for that matter.

Of course you have a problem with huge cooperations where some HR peons and recruiters wade through the chaff and that individual may have his or her own ideas on what makes a good reel, only to have someone in production review it and go what the gently caress is this poo poo?

I'll put it another way, if someone applies with ILM, DD, Weta, R+H, PIXAR, Disney, etc. On their resume, no one is going to give a poo poo about labels.

Personally, after seeing thousands of reels shuffle through here, the more fancy the presentation, the more lovely the reel. This is almost an absolute 99 times out of 100.

Stocking
Jul 24, 2007

Quick question: How can I modify my mesh slightly without Max killing my UVs. I have Preserve uvs ticked but it doesn't seem to do anything. As soon as i click on Editable mesh it seems to stop using my uvs altogether.

A Sober Irishman
Sep 13, 2007

I think you have to right click on your Editable Mesh and collapse all, that allows you to edit the mesh without killing your UV's. Just add a Unwrap UVW Modifier back on after you are done. At least that's how it works with Editable Polys, I assume it would be the same for a mesh.

Stocking
Jul 24, 2007

Ah, that did it, Thanks. It actually is an editable poly Im just getting the terms mixed up.

A Sober Irishman
Sep 13, 2007

No problem. When I first started unwrapping stuff, I had that issue too, of how to edit the model without having to start the goddamn soul crushing unwrap process again.

Stocking
Jul 24, 2007

With any luck this will be my first real finished model. Its a sorta improvised wooden car. Hoping to get it into some game or other when its done.
this is the original (very rough -still getting the hang of using a wacom) sketch:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Awwwww . . . Crazybump isn't free anymore!! :(

A Sober Irishman
Sep 13, 2007

I know, it sucks doesn't it? I might buy it properly, its such a dead useful program.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

BigKOfJustice posted:

Personally, after seeing thousands of reels shuffle through here, the more fancy the presentation, the more lovely the reel. This is almost an absolute 99 times out of 100.

i guess this surprises me as well. At least personally i'd think it would speak more towards people that go the little bit extra to make sure their whole package works and looks good. However I will defer to your experience on the matter. I'll just try and make sure I'm that 1 in 100 :)

Stocking
Jul 24, 2007

Did a little more on this. It's at about 4k trinagles now, Thats reasonable for a modern game engine right? Im pretty sure i have the structure nailed down now so its mostly a matter of finishing the uvw mapping, adding a bunch of crap and giving it some kind of interior. Any critiques/ suggestions would be great.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kuato posted:

Did a little more on this. It's at about 4k trinagles now, Thats reasonable for a modern game engine right? Im pretty sure i have the structure nailed down now so its mostly a matter of finishing the uvw mapping, adding a bunch of crap and giving it some kind of interior. Any critiques/ suggestions would be great.

Lookin' good, but there's no reason the "three ropes" thing should actually be three individual ropes. Learn to cheat it with a texture and some implied definition in the model and save yourself valuable polys!

oldyogurt
Aug 14, 2004

Son of a--
Muldoon
Here's another WIP of the character I'm working on.

I just started texturing this guy and he's looking rather action figure-y at the moment. Gonna try dirtying him up a bit. 7700 tris right now, but I'm gonna try optimizing the head.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Kuato posted:

ugh my post about this got eaten.

4k is fine for a vehicle, low by modern standards, but then again you didn't build it with normal maps or anything in mind so I figured this is more of a get your feet wet type thing than a "lets make AAA assets on my first go" kind of thing.

post wires, don't show off the textured model with a rendered AO pass, what size texture are you planning on using?

The ropes around the boiler are ridiculously dense, should probably be a band with ropes painted on instead, if they're still renderable splines their tri-count isn't being added into the triangle counter in Max because Max is crap.

You've got weird smoothing on the wheels, they're too small, and your wheel-wells are so form-fitting I bet this can't even steer.

Add some thickness to the exhaust pipes, and for the interior you can merge all the interior bits into a point, so the end of the pipe's cross section looks like this:
code:
 __      __
|  \    /  |
|   \  /   |
|    \/    |
give it some basics of an interior and make sure you could fit someone in there. If you don't have a player model handy make a Max Bi-ped and pose it.

why is the shovel floating? find a way to attach it. Are the doors supposed to open? Because you didn't model them so they can.

Stocking
Jul 24, 2007

First of all, thanks for the helpful post. I've changed the pipes round as you recommended and I'm in the process of fixing the wheels.
The textures are one thing I'm not so sure about right now they are on two 1024x1024 images and one 512 which seems way excessive. I can probably shrink it all down quite a lot but I'm nor sure what kind of size I should be aiming for.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I picked up a pack of plasticine clay from the corner store today for fun, and even though I suck at using the stuff, inspiration struck while I was messing around with it. So I started a superhero bust, but for some reason I keep trying to use the controls for the spore creature creator and keep messing up (like left click rotate)

change my name fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 28, 2008

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

(click for the video)

Welp. This was the piece I was animating for the class project, and as expected, it didnt get anywhere near finished. Even more depressing is the fact that it was the most polished so far. Hopefully by the time the school opens again in two weeks, all the sequences will have rendered out without glitches or falling over halfway.

Oh and the lecturer earns bonus points for having to animate one entire segment because he wasnt keeping an eye on what that student was doing (e.g. nothing at all) and it needed to be completed somehow since that was the opening sequence, and avoiding using Motionbuilder entirely because it was slowing his work down. After spending 3 months forcing us to use it.

He also helped rig the dog. And I discovered with two weeks of animation left that the floor contacts were crammed up to the elbows and no one knew how to reorient them. :argh:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 28, 2008

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

change my name posted:

I picked up a pack of plasticine clay from the corner store today for fun, and even though I suck at using the stuff, inspiration struck while I was messing around with it. So I started a superhero bust, but for some reason I keep trying to use the controls for the spore creature creator and keep messing up (like left click rotate)

Also does anyone know of any good tutorials for making human mouths in zbrush? I have absolutely no clue how to go about doing it

A Sober Irishman
Sep 13, 2007

Is there an easy way to make something low poly from something extremely high poly? I want to know because I have a model I made in the days before I knew of poly economy, and it is in excess of 30000 polys. There is a cylindrical part, and I want to reduce the amount of sides. Is there something i can use that selects alternate edges/verts? Or will I have to delete them all manually?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

change my name posted:

Also does anyone know of any good tutorials for making human mouths in zbrush? I have absolutely no clue how to go about doing it

How have you created this? Did you start from a low level mesh and subdivided your way up? Or did you just start with a high poly blob and just carved away? If you did the first, you could extrude a mouth inwards and work off that. Otherwise, just sculpt a mouth and retopologize it, and add the extra geometry in an external program. Fiddling around with actual low poly work in Zbrush is a bit of a pain for me.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
In 3ds max you can apply the optimize modifier, but it will royally gently caress up your topology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

SynthOrange posted:

How have you created this? Did you start from a low level mesh and subdivided your way up? Or did you just start with a high poly blob and just carved away? If you did the first, you could extrude a mouth inwards and work off that. Otherwise, just sculpt a mouth and retopologize it, and add the extra geometry in an external program. Fiddling around with actual low poly work in Zbrush is a bit of a pain for me.

I blocked the basics out in zspheres, then used the low poly for the basic shape and worked my way up on the higher detail levels