Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lache
Dec 17, 2006
Why yes, your suffering does feed me
I should've looked around for this thread a long, long time ago. I'm in my second year of a Digital Animation & Game Design program, trying to get into the character modeling side of things. Like many others, unwrapping was a nightmare for me. I say was because someone in one of my classes recently dug up a handy little tool called Roadkill. I can't recommend this enough if you haven't tried it yet. It integrates into Max, Maya, and XSI, and makes the unwrapping process on organic objects a breeze. Hell, even using it for hard surfaces isn't half bad.

On a side note, this is my current work in project for the character class I'm taking over the summer. Workflow was base mesh through Max, sculpting and texturing through Zbrush.

Click here for the full 960x720 image (low poly).

Click here for the full 960x720 image (high poly).

My current struggles are in mapping and lighting. My rendering and lighting class in fall last year was a nightmare for me to say the least. Does anyone have some good links for setting up nice lighting in Max? Certainly wouldn't mind any information provided on shaders as well - Zbrush matcaps look nice, but they count for nothing outside the program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lache
Dec 17, 2006
WIP textured version with basic 3 point lighting. The lighting setup isn't actually mine, I've been doing a file merge from a friend's file for quite some time because this is the best conditions I can seem to get. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

Lache
Dec 17, 2006
I'll be needing a good workstation here in a few weeks before classes start up again, and I've been going back and forth between XP 64bit and Vista 64bit. Does Vista have enough going for it yet to be worth the upgrade or should I just stick with what's been (for the most part) reliable?

Lache
Dec 17, 2006
I envy people that can paint clothing by hand so well. Just about the same goes for making decent spec maps, since mine always seem to be too dull or too bright. Currently I'm working to get my lighting adjusted for a poster shot of my character. It hasn't been rigged as of yet, so that's just some minor pivot adjustments thus far:

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

Lache
Dec 17, 2006
Nothing in that Mudbox preview impressed me beyond what I've currently got access to in Zbrush 3.1... until the real-time HDR came up. That was concentrated amazing.

Lache
Dec 17, 2006
I've only recently been introduced to the wonders of rendering passes. How do you guys set up yours and which ones do you use the most on a regular basis? Right now I'm using a key light, a bounce light, a sky light, and an AO pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lache
Dec 17, 2006
They're different, not necessarily better. I consider Maya to be better for animation personally, though I've yet to pick it up. After years in 3Ds Max I migrated over to XSI recently and I love it to death. It all depends on what sort of projects you want to work on really.