Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

DefMech posted:

I'd also like to know a lot more about the hardware they're using. It says most of the load is handled by a bunch of ATI cards working in parallel, not necessarily by lots of computers. That sure sounds like it could be cheaper than the rack of render servers we have at work. Of course, this all depends on the highly specialized software they're using to get all that to work together. What technology are they using for their lighting? How does it handle the gigabytes of texture data and the ultra dense polycounts of those film assets? How do they keep it all that parallel processing perfectly synchronized? Lots of questions...

I don't know about ATI, but I have a fair chunk of experience using nvidia's CUDA programming language, which is probably how they'd handle that. This same technology was used in the FASTRA imaging system, which blows my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Adawait posted:

Yeah, I see what you mean. I think it has something to do with the Matcap material I'm using which has light baked into it. I haven't really decided on how I'm gonna show this one yet, I just quickly threw those ones on there to make some quick renders.

Why do I get the feeling you spent a looooot of time on that rear end?

But yes, I'm familiar with the whole baked lighting thing metcap gives, I seem to recall there being a bunch of workarounds, but what they were seems to escape me at the moment.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Ah, poo poo, I should install max again and see if I can dig up my old Ink n' Paint materials. I had one for tjust that sort of thing.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

A Sober Irishman posted:

Haha, while I'm at it, I may as well make it a solid gold AK-47. Covered in diamonds.

Make it use antique furniture for ammunition and I think we're good to go here.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

hey bud kick up your photon/rays count in your renderer and you'll get rid of that rough speckled shadow

Is it bad that I sometimes kick that number down a little because I like the grainy feeling it gives my lovely little renders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

cultureulterior posted:

Don't do it- there are certain operations you simply cannot perform without a numeric keypad

Even if this was the case (it's not, as numeric keypad emulation exists), he could just buy an external keypad for like $15.