Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

z

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jan 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

(click for the video)

Welp. This was the piece I was animating for the class project, and as expected, it didnt get anywhere near finished. Even more depressing is the fact that it was the most polished so far. Hopefully by the time the school opens again in two weeks, all the sequences will have rendered out without glitches or falling over halfway.

Oh and the lecturer earns bonus points for having to animate one entire segment because he wasnt keeping an eye on what that student was doing (e.g. nothing at all) and it needed to be completed somehow since that was the opening sequence, and avoiding using Motionbuilder entirely because it was slowing his work down. After spending 3 months forcing us to use it.

He also helped rig the dog. And I discovered with two weeks of animation left that the floor contacts were crammed up to the elbows and no one knew how to reorient them. :argh:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 28, 2008

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

change my name posted:

Also does anyone know of any good tutorials for making human mouths in zbrush? I have absolutely no clue how to go about doing it

How have you created this? Did you start from a low level mesh and subdivided your way up? Or did you just start with a high poly blob and just carved away? If you did the first, you could extrude a mouth inwards and work off that. Otherwise, just sculpt a mouth and retopologize it, and add the extra geometry in an external program. Fiddling around with actual low poly work in Zbrush is a bit of a pain for me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

change my name posted:

I blocked the basics out in zspheres, then used the low poly for the basic shape and worked my way up on the higher detail levels

This probably wont help now, but I always put in a zsphere mouth and eye sockets, and occasionally zsphere noses and ears, depending on how detailed they need to be.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Out of curiosity, why wouldnt just a simple bump map work? Or does Vray not do bump maps?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dang that's nice. The petals feel like they could be a little brighter, right now they feel a little dense and heavy. You might be missing the pistil of the flower, and the stem could do with a little surface variation, but it's still very nice.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

z

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jan 16, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

z

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Welp, back to sculpting. Still a little soft and lumpy in places, but coming along nicely.

edit: The neck and ears are terrible now that I look at them.
edit2: and fixed

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 6, 2008

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Increase the radius of your smoothing brush? Mask everything else and use the smooth deformer? Drop your resolution back down and delete the higher subdivisions?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Let's see the frames then.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

change my name posted:

Would have been better if the frames were taken at the lowest subdivision, but even now there's still a lot of wierd joins and edges going on. How're you constructing this?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They're part of the same problem though. Adaptive skins give cleaner base meshes.

You might want to go through a few basic tutorials on using zspheres for base meshes.

Here's one

A whole heap of them, just pick out the sculpting and zsphere ones.

And videos. http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 7, 2008

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

True. I should bring in the forward planes a bit. There's also the problem that I use a mirror for quick reference when I cant remember offhand what a particular feature should look like.

This only works if I'm sculpting an asian though. Ooops.

(drat the shoulders are really making him look wierd. Gotta fix that.)

And drat, I was going to say that FumeFX does better smoke and flames, but the other stuff in XSI looks really sexy.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 7, 2008

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks like the rest of the entries for the latest CGChallenge are up and I'm really blown away by them. I'm definitely going to be playing through those 'making of' videos frame by frame.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

drat. That's real nice. Their print work's just as pretty too.

And workwise, I finally figured out why backburner was just refusing to work on my computer. Having renders going off in the background lets me feel productive, even when I'm just browsing.

Of course that disappears once I come back and look at the whole sequence and realise that I hosed up with scene states and lighting again.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'd say if you were trying to go for a clean, stylized look, all that's missing is the ground and roof textures.

And maybe do something about the lamps, they look wierd as hell.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

spottedfeces posted:

What do you find weird about the lamps?

The cylindrical white light source makes them look like electric garden lamps to me.

concerned mom posted:

My mudbox trial has run out but I still really want to use it at work (for learning and portfolio, not profit). Its about £150 for the learning edition which is a lot of money so its a tough decision but zbrush looks like even more money and I didn't really get in to using it.

Does anyone know the best way to buy these products or well I'm not really sure specifically what kind of advice I'm looking for; I just feel like I need some advice.

I feel that I get more milage out of zbrush, because it's not just a sculpting package, but can also be used to texturing and paint as well and for roughly the same amount as the full Mudbox Pro. Zbrush does have a 30 day trial if you want to try it out.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 16, 2008

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Apart from the mouth, it looks like her right hand isnt properly clutching her side. Yeah it's in full contact, but the hand lacks any feeling of tension or grip.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks wierd, but awesome. Like a frog shaped lamp with a weak bulb inside.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm a Max user and I've picked up Maya's PLE a few times to try and get into it.

Eyeballing and approximation seems to be a main feature of Maya, at least until you get a ton of plugins.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well, it's probably easiest to show us what you think's wrong rather than just asking. Show us a few images to see where your texturing and lighting skills are at, and why're they not where you want them?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh Irenicus, you've really let yourself go.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

drat, that's one awesomely specced and probaby super expensive notebook. I've been debating picking up a tablet, but they're still so much more expensive and less powerful than regular tablets in similar price ranges.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

sigma 6 posted:

Precisely my problem. Fujitsu makes some nice tablets I hear, and I just want something that runs zbrush and photoshop fairly well.

Welp, found a price on it.

quote:

The ThinkPad W700 mobile workstation will be available beginning in September with models starting at $2,978

:gonk:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

z

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

chellesandcheese posted:

I haven't posted in here in forever, but how many of you guys are animators or have enough knowledge to crit animation? I'm trying to revamp my demo reel with some of the stuff I'm doing at Animation Mentor, but I could use another set of eyes on some of my older stuff to see what to keep. I need to get a job in LA soon. :(

Just post your drat showreel so we can rip it to shreds! :argh:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What, like they're doing with Poser Pro? They've already got cloth and hair sims.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You want an alpha/transparency map on the material so you can peek through. Should be easy enough to find or make your own.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nah, it's rigging up organic shapes that has me sweating the most. Hard objects are comparatively simple.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well holy crap.

Take a look at this:
http://vimeo.com/1669862

Sketching out models.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh boy, everyone in the CGtalk thread is running around like its the apocalypse.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Haha, Freehand.

If it turns out like how they treated Flash though, that'd be fine.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay, so there's this live shot that I'm supposed to composite some CG elements into. The tricky part? There's lens distortion because the camera has a wide angle lens starts off really close and pulls out, so there's a strong fishbowl effect at the start.

It's straight down shot of the ground. I'm planning on rendering out the cg elements at 2x the resolution flat, then applying a diminishing bulge effect in compositing. There's tracking marks, but they're just not enough of them, so I'm going to have to eyeball it.

Is there anything really, really wrong with this plan?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nope. It's a student film with a $0 budget. The best scene/camera I have comes from 4 tracking dots on a rag that I also have to composite out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm planning on putting together the shot in AE, and as I said, it'll pretty much be by eyeball.

Thanks for the tip on removing the distortion first though, that'll be very helpful. Now if only he'll call back.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pictures help, as well as the sort of modelling method you're using.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cornlight posted:

I know how to modify the cylinder to become the pop can, but I keep starting the model over because I get frustrated at not being able to make that hole, lol. Doesn't bridging only work on faces and not lines? And what are the polygon creation tools you are referring to?

Edit: I don't really want to ruin the thread with my dumb stuff. If somebody could help me over AIM or MSN I would really appreciate it :)

AIM: notnotnotnottom
MSN: cattleonagrassyknoll@hotmail.com

Pull up the Tutorials and start off from basic modelling is all I can say.

As for what's going wrong with your model, it's that it's a solid block. Just booleaning away that little tab will not make an opening into the hollow interior, it'll create a depression on the surface.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's definitely a little dark and murky, glowing blue bits aside. It's hard to make out features on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

More stuff about XSI 2009 please.