Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I'm trying to follow Autodesk's tutorial for building a skeleton in Maya 2008. When I first placed the leg joints, I forgot to include a pelvis, which I need for Full Body IK to work.
So I followed the instructions for the Insert Joint Tool and it seems to work differently than the tutorial says it does. I selected the tool from the skeleton menu, then clicked the intended parent joint (the root) and dragged to where I wanted the new joint to be (between the root and the knee). Instead of inserting a joint, Maya made a new one, as if I were using the regular joint tool.
Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Should I not be using FBIK on my first rigged model?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

sigma 6 posted:

Portable Staplefrog: I would say learn how to make your own rigs work first before worrying about FBIK. It would help you to learn how to make a good FBIK rig but the main reason to do it is to use motionbuilder IMHO. There are other advantages of FBIK but that is the main one.

EDIT: Although I suspect you know this, parenting bones will connect them.

Thanks. I did basically that and then realized that skinning isn't really what I want. I just want objects to move with the bones inside them, but not deform at all.

This is what I'm trying to animate. It's supposed to look like the parts are made of glass or something inflexible.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

sigma 6 posted:

Anytime you want to rig a robot or something inflexible, you just need to group your geometry under your bones. The individual pieces of the geometry under each corresponding bone that is.

This is what I needed, thanks!