Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stocking
Jul 24, 2007

Quick question: How can I modify my mesh slightly without Max killing my UVs. I have Preserve uvs ticked but it doesn't seem to do anything. As soon as i click on Editable mesh it seems to stop using my uvs altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stocking
Jul 24, 2007

Ah, that did it, Thanks. It actually is an editable poly Im just getting the terms mixed up.

Stocking
Jul 24, 2007

With any luck this will be my first real finished model. Its a sorta improvised wooden car. Hoping to get it into some game or other when its done.
this is the original (very rough -still getting the hang of using a wacom) sketch:

Stocking
Jul 24, 2007

Did a little more on this. It's at about 4k trinagles now, Thats reasonable for a modern game engine right? Im pretty sure i have the structure nailed down now so its mostly a matter of finishing the uvw mapping, adding a bunch of crap and giving it some kind of interior. Any critiques/ suggestions would be great.

Stocking
Jul 24, 2007

First of all, thanks for the helpful post. I've changed the pipes round as you recommended and I'm in the process of fixing the wheels.
The textures are one thing I'm not so sure about right now they are on two 1024x1024 images and one 512 which seems way excessive. I can probably shrink it all down quite a lot but I'm nor sure what kind of size I should be aiming for.

Stocking
Jul 24, 2007

Anybody know how i can get max to give me like a series of images of the outlines of the cross section of a model from bottom to top about 1cm apart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stocking
Jul 24, 2007

Been messing around w. sculpting for a few days. Havnt done anything with 3d for ages and its been a lot of fun :)

Critiques/tips would be cool cuz im not really sure where to go from here. Im pretty pleased with how this turned out because while there is plenty wrong with it seems a lot better than the other stuff I've made so far.
One thing ive been having some trouble with is sculpting non sucky eyes so if anyone has any good links to help out with that it would be cool. but it might jsut be a matter of drawing/sculpting a bunch of eyes. also it looks liek his head is a weird shape at the top i think thats some stray brush i diddnt notice