Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

sinc posted:

I finally took some time to experiment a little with the shading language and here's what I got so far - it's supposed to look like wet asphalt or something (the sphere is there just for testing):

I get more of a muddy tidal pool vibe off it rather than asphalt. But then again, it's been proven in the past that I have no artistic talent or knowledge, so take that as you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

sigma 6 posted:

comic geek alert

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/watchmen/hd/

:waycool:

OK - not entirely related to 3d but hey . . . nice VFX!! Do yourself a favor and read the graphic novel before the movie comes out.

I don't know anything about Watchmen, but that trailer made the movie look like utter dross covered in a thin veneer of over-the-top effects. Didn't sell me at all, I'm afraid.
Not that I think you care, of course. :)

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

sigma 6 posted:

Definitely read it before the movie ruins it for you.

I'm not going to derail this any furhter, but I don't think I'm into this genre enough to start. The trailer made me *not* want to see it, and I'm unlikely to want to have to read a book in order to "get" the movie. Perhaps this is fan material only.

Getting back onto 3D, does anyone know why the Burly Brawl scene in the Matrix sequel looks so poor compared to what 3D could do at the time. Did they have to rush that scene or something? All the guys in it look like plasticine. I thought Wallace and Gromit were going to show up. :)

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

spottedfeces posted:

Thanks for the great advice! I appreciate it.

Here's an update with my attempt to put those words into practice.

Edit: Altered the render a bit.

How does the water get from the cistern to the pan?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

spottedfeces posted:

Underground pipes? I'll admit I kinda fudged that part, since all the pictures I could find were from the front, so I just guessed. I take it when it's that kind of toilet the pipe attachs directly to the john?

Edit: I just google image searched cistern and pan, and it turns out that it does. I guess it would have been easier if I knew the technical terms like cistern and pan. Anyway, I'll fix that now. Thanks for pointing that out!

Hey, no problem. I don't like to be super picky on things (who am I kidding?) but that stood out. And you got to learn ancient crapper topology, so it's been a huge win for you. :)

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Cad_Monkey2 posted:

I added subtle hotspots around the main Keith Moon poster...

It's not that subtle, and now I'm wondering where that spotlight is coming from.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

SPACE WEED posted:

http://www.vimeo.com/11196472

Is it supposed to say "accurate scale mode" in the intro text?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

ThreeHams posted:

- After you unwrap it, draw in scratches along the parts you'd expect scratches to show up. Assuming this thing is dragged around for a while, you'd probably see the most damage along the very outer edges of the fins, along those rings at the top, on the rivets around the outside, and probably in some places on the conical section in front. Keep it subtle, overall - it'll look much better.

I don't know poo poo about it, but how many scratches and dings to people put into bombs they have lying around? I would have thought you'd be a lot more careful with something like that.
Unless it was dropped and failed to go off, but then it would be beaten all to hell.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Certainly looks like Pete to me. How long did this take?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

floofyscorp posted:

I accidentally deleted all my personal work from the past 5 years the other day! I forgot to move it out of the 'backup' folder after upgrading my PC, and while doing some spring-cleaning I deleted that folder.

If you didn't have two copies, then that folder wasn't a "backup". Anything you care about should exist in at least two places at all times, no matter what.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Jewel posted:

The problem is, the viewer has no wireframe view, and I can't export and open the models in any programs, so it's impossible to actually see the polygons themselves, and it's hard to work out how they've done it, so I'm mostly confused, how do I model something like these?

This isn't going to be helpful, but it reminded me of a tool years ago that you could run and it would display the wireframe of any program that was displaying Direct3D stuff. You'd fire up Unreal Tournament or something and hit a hotkey and whatever was onscreen would be shown as the underlying wireframe.

Did I dream this thing?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

EoinCannon posted:

Thanks heaps but I'm in Australia :/

I've got loads of data recovery and related tools here at my work but I'm in Brisbane. I have to assume you're further south?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

uglynoodles posted:

As a quick update, here's where I'm at now... I painted in some scratches and wires and stuff just to see where I'm headed. Making the big thick wire ring connector thing to put in the panel marked 'MAIN.; Jesus H, Insert MultiMesh brushes are great, drat. Thanks for giving me a kickstart Elsa!

When it comes to distressing, for something stuck in a tank of water all the time I would expect to see corrosion rather than scratches. What would that helmet thing be getting scratched on?
Mind you, that's based on me knowing nothing about the tech you are creating. Maybe that helmet gets taken off a lot and dropped on the floor or slid into a housing?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Mandatory Assembly posted:

You're so right. I put a tiny bevel along the edges of the block and it looks so much more real.

If you're really serious about the accuracy of your Lego block, here's a crop of a photo a friend took. It's not great, but you can see that the font is rounded both on the surface as well as the ends. I doubt anyone else cares, but I'm a stickler for this sort of thing! ;)

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Flesh Forge posted:

ant leg detailing

Love it (and any CG electron micrograph shots). I'm looking forward to the detail on the compound eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Biohazard posted:

Good advice! It's funny how important it is to have other people look at stuff after you've been staring at it for days at a time, you just miss really obvious stuff like that. Here's the updated "finals" i delivered. There's some pretty glaring things I wouldn't mind fixing, but I'm gonna call it quits on this one. Feedback is welcome though!

I'm not an artist of any sort, but as a layman the things that spoil the image for me are the stretched vertical texture on the kerb and the obvious repeated tiling on the red brick wall texture. Those are probably some of the glaring issues you mentioned, though.