Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sober Irishman
Sep 13, 2007

"He killed 16 Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator."

"Really? His house looked like shit."
I'm sorry if this is sort of a stupid question, but I am pretty much a beginner in 3d and I wanted to know, how do you get normal and specular maps to work in vray? Is it just a simple matter of turning off global illumination and using vray lights and materials? Or is there a different way to do it?

I'm also interested in knowing how to achieve a wet road effect in 3ds max, either with vray or the scanline renderer. Similar to how the roads get in GTA IV after it has been raining. Any help is appreciated.

Also, ElecHeadMatt your showreel is awesome, it's probably the best one I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sober Irishman
Sep 13, 2007

Useless - That is looking really good at the moment. I do like the layout of the city in the second render rather than the first, as it does leave the scene open for additional points of interest, which is what I'm sure you intended.

I do prefer the dawn/late afternoon lighting displayed in the first render, however, and I think that that lighting and colour tone will highlight dark smoke in the distance, as well as strengthening the feelings of loneliness/depression that one may have when in a post apocalyptic situation.

Also, whether or not you decide to add a blast crater as another point of interest or not, the eye is still drawn first to the interesting foreground elements of the chair and table, so I would make those your main focus. And as for the broom, have you considered possibly using the Hair simulator in whatever program you're using?

Just my thoughts and suggestions.

A Sober Irishman
Sep 13, 2007

I think you have to right click on your Editable Mesh and collapse all, that allows you to edit the mesh without killing your UV's. Just add a Unwrap UVW Modifier back on after you are done. At least that's how it works with Editable Polys, I assume it would be the same for a mesh.

A Sober Irishman
Sep 13, 2007

No problem. When I first started unwrapping stuff, I had that issue too, of how to edit the model without having to start the goddamn soul crushing unwrap process again.

A Sober Irishman
Sep 13, 2007

I know, it sucks doesn't it? I might buy it properly, its such a dead useful program.

A Sober Irishman
Sep 13, 2007

Is there an easy way to make something low poly from something extremely high poly? I want to know because I have a model I made in the days before I knew of poly economy, and it is in excess of 30000 polys. There is a cylindrical part, and I want to reduce the amount of sides. Is there something i can use that selects alternate edges/verts? Or will I have to delete them all manually?

A Sober Irishman
Sep 13, 2007

quote:

Did some more work on the indoors, still a lot of temp textures (or none at all). Still not happy with the texture on the front wall - the cracks just don't feel right but no matter how much I play with it I'm never happy.

Comments/crits welcome.

It's looking really great man. The only things I can see that are a bit wierd is that there seems to be a bit of texture stretching on the rubble on the right. Also, the wall on the left should probably have a couple of cracks/be a bit dirtier too.

Apart from that, the rest of the texturing and lighting is fantastic. Wish I could do it that well.

A Sober Irishman
Sep 13, 2007

This is an AK-47 model I chose to model for an assessment at my college, which was to create a game asset or vehicle. The tri limit was 3500, and having 1 1024 texture page. The model is now 3200 polys, but I don't have a texture because I ballsed it up the first time round, and now I have added extra detail. The assignment is finished, I'm just cleaning up the model a bit and adding some detail so I can use it for a portfolio piece.

I'm just looking for some critique on the actual model and geometry before I go off to unwrap it again for the texture. I will be making a 1024x1024 texture for it. Could I also have some advice on how I should unwrap and texture it, ie should I just have 1 1024 texture page, or should I break it up into 2 pages? If I should break it into 2 texture pages, how would I go about doing that?

Another thing that would be helpful is any comments on my lighting/rendering setup. At the moment I am using a 3-point set up, but I am not really happy with it, and I'd like to learn a really good way to show off my models after they're done.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Click here for the full 800x500 image.

A Sober Irishman fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 2, 2008

A Sober Irishman
Sep 13, 2007

Thanks for the advice, I have changed it a bit since those pictures, I have redone the front grip part because it looked poo poo and was annoying me.

Click here for the full 815x515 image.

Click here for the full 815x515 image.

Also I don't know what you mean by tri wastage on a symmetry seam up my front side, I haven't used symmetry?

I will try to think of some extra story and background for it as well, to make it unique. Once again thanks for the advice.

A Sober Irishman
Sep 13, 2007

Haha, while I'm at it, I may as well make it a solid gold AK-47. Covered in diamonds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sober Irishman
Sep 13, 2007

Thanks for all the advice on the modeling, now I need to hit you guys up for advice on unwrapping it. Specifically, the areas of the pistol grip and also the stock are giving me a bit of trouble. Any advice for unwrapping those particular parts, and other general advice about unwrapping/texturing a gun model? Thanks.