Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/ice/default.aspx

XSI7 loving ROCKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Does anyone here use a gtx 275 with maya under vista 64bit? If yes what is a good driver to install? I couldnt find one that maya likes so far. :smith:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Odddzy posted:

The chances are close to zero.

ask support?

support doesnt support non quadro geforce cards.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

cubicle gangster posted:

Can you softmod those cards into quadros, or is that just the 8* series? Could try that then install the quadro drivers.

I did it on one of the 8's and with the maxstream drivers had a huge improvement. If it's a home pc, it may have trouble with games though.

I thought you cant do that with the newer cards anymore?

In any case upgrading to win 7 fixed the problem. If any of you is on the fence about win 7 I cant recommend it enough. Every app works fine and its so much faster than vista\xp.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Cool cant wait to give mari a try when its out on windows.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Ratmann posted:

Awesome, hello fellow CG dev person!

Nice work, looks like a fun app, i'll definitely have to check it out, interesting seeing other companies releasing their proprietary software.

Now if only imageworks released arnold... :smith:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

EoinCannon posted:

Mate, that's really helpful, thanks a lot for making the effort. That's bang on too, I think I used to have a tendency to have the eyes
set too high in the head and now I seem to be overcorrecting the other way.

I'm trying to get better at modeling, art and observation in general, that's the reason why I keep modeling and posting it. I have no illusions about where I'm at
so I appreciate any criticisms at all and try to learn something from all of them.

Thats a nice attitude to have. Quite often I see this:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=43&t=863147

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

cubicle gangster posted:

However the standalone combustion replacement is incredible. They've made no attempts to hide that it's just a toxik re-badge...

They never claimed otherwise. Composite had a ton of new features added during the time I was on Maya 2011 beta. Cant say I used it though. Nuke pretty much has all I need.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
A couple months ago I rigged and modeled this robot model and put it online for free. Recently had some free time so I finally got to animate it and here is the result:

http://vimeo.com/10891886

Working on another short anim with this guy now :3:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

ceebee posted:

Woah, I think two of the students at my school used your model, or a modified version of it and won Best of Term: http://www.gnomonschool.com/student_work/BoT/

...is it your model? If so that is loving lame of them to use it for our best of term entries.

Yup that my model.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Thanks guys! It was fun to do, can't wait to do another one soon.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Does anyone here have the july 2009 issue of 3d world magazine (the one with Pixar's UP in the cover)

I have the magazine here but I threw away the dvd like a moron before realizing the two maya rigs in the tutorial are available on the dvd. I will forever be grateful if someone can email me those rigs if you have the dvd.

le capitan posted:

Here's a little bug-like robot I made. Did all the modeling, rigging, and animation. There's an odd flash of light at :05 that's not in the original video. I wonder if vimeo dislikes my file type or something. I'll try re-uploading.

http://vimeo.com/11007897

Thats a pretty cool design man. I kept hoping for it to grow wings and fly away all throughout the animation though. That would be pretty cool to animate :unsmith:

keyframe fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 18, 2010

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

BonoMan posted:

Well CG Talk is a barren wasteland of just poo poo nowadays so..I have a quick tech problem. I have a project I created in Maya 2008 and now imported it into 2010. A fairly simple object that uses a targa for a reflection map. Simple "black off/white on." Works fine in 2008, but in 2010, no matter what file format I use (tiff/targa/jpeg) it won't map the reflection. It's just all reflective.

It's outAlpha -> reflectivity. Has this changed?

Cgtalk is a barren wasteland..? what?

To answer your question, no it didn't change afaik. I have used tiff for reflection maps fine in 2010 and 2011. Is it maybe breaking the connection when you import somehow? Did you try recreating the shading network in maya 2010?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Sigma-X posted:

HEY GUYS IM LOOKIN FOR SOME ARTISTS TO MAKE MY AWESOME GAME/MOVIE i will pay afte we make A BILLION DOLLARS JUST LAKE AVATAR!!!!

I don't read Cgtalk anymore :(

What 3d sites to people visit nowadays? I just lurk game-artist.net and polycount but feel like I don't see enough cool non-game stuff anymore.

cghub.com is the best site.

Cgtalk is still the best site for app questions imo. At least I get all my maya questions answered there still. Just avoid general discussions :unsmith:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Odddzy posted:

what is linear workflow?

http://www.djx.com.au/blog/2008/09/13/linear-workflow-and-gamma/

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I think in Vray all you need to do is to check the "linear workflow" checkbox and it does everything for you. Maya 2011 is supposed to have linear workflow under the new color profile settings too but I havent tried it so I dont really know if its a one click solution as well.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Furious George posted:

I'll just leave these here...

http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=36835
http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=39405

I'm working freelance now so if I can help you out on any projects please get in touch! To avoid this post being a job advert, i'm happy to answer any questions about 'CG' and games and that too!

I honestly dont care about car renders usually after seeing a million of them but those split second red car you made is sexy as gently caress and made me wish I had a print of it to hang on my wall.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I am having a love affair with Octane Renderer.

Just did a quick character\scene mockup before I go ahead and actually model\rig it properly to see if it works. :3:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Thanks for the comments guys.

@Olblue: It really is. It is more like photography in your scene than rendering. Pretty much the best 99$ I spent lately.

@ Le capitan: I totally agree. That is the look I want to go for at the end. Octane doesnt support SSS or translucency at the moment so it will be tricky.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I will just quickly post two more Octane renders I did. It is using tuna's scene above. The rendertimes for both of those are near instantaneous on my not so cutting edge gtx 275 card. I love how you can experiment freely without worrying about "oh poo poo I will have to wait another 5 minutes for this to render if I move my light a little or try a different composition"

keyframe fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 18, 2010

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

mashed_penguin posted:

Just noticed this on the realflow website http://realflow.com/

"RealFlow remains the definitive tool for the creation of flawlessly realistic simulations, and has been used to produce some of the most ground-breaking visual effects ever seen, in movies like “Avatar”, “District 9”, “2012”, “GI Joe”, and “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”, as well as commercials, TV programs, and game cinematics".

I'm not sure if next limit is aware of it or not but the only realflow used on District 9 to my knowledge was a simulation I did of an alien pissing on a fence. Glad to see they recognize the most high brow and innovative uses of their products ;)

That was a groundbreaking pissing shot. Is there a similar one in "the thing"? :v:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

FERN GULLY FAN posted:

Norton antivirus flagged and deleted the Octane demo as a threat. Am I right in assuming Norton is getting a bit trigger happy?

Norton is being retarded. ESET Nod is much better btw. You almost never get false positives with it and it is extremely light on the system.

But yes the octane demo is definitely not a virus.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Sigma-X posted:

This guy's work is loving amazing holy poo poo:
http://www.game-artist.net/forums/work-progress/13593-anthro-character-project-wip.html

Ever since cgtalk bought out game-artist.net game-artist.net has been going to poo poo. Like half of the contributing good artists there were mods and they all got replaced by cgtalk mods and 90% of the work is loving terrible.

They did not get replaced they left. Without much of a warning too.

It is not like it was some hostile takeover of some publicly traded company. They asked and agreed to be bought afaik. Also urgaffel tries his goddamn best to run that place.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Fearian posted:

polycount is literally the second greatest forum on the internet, next to something awful. :colbert:

You spelled Cg Hub wrong. :smug:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Check out this sweet animation and models for the london olympic mascots guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KatN365jaBg

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

BigKOfJustice posted:

It could be worse, you can work your rear end off for a few years and never get a credit at all. I worked on one film in 2005 which had over 1000 crew at our company alone. Only half got credited. It's pretty common actually come to think about it.

Yea even though we were the only studio for a feature I worked on we had to do a lottery to see whose names will get into the credits because they didnt have enough spots. It is loving retarded.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Anybody going to Siggraph? I have decided to go on the spur of a moment. We should have a goon meetup. :v:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

TouchToneDialing posted:

I just finished a render of the Gama Issa House and thought I would post it to get everyone's comments and critiques. Im going to do a few more renders of it at some point, specifically one of the stair area.

Click here for the full 1200x931 image.

I want to live in there with my supermodel girlfriend. Thats a awesome render :3:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Pibborando San posted:

For those of you who, like me, have gotten all excited about Octane Render, they've cut the licenses by 50%, down to 49€ for one week only. I just bought one for myself as a birthday present.

Alright it is time to sit down and finish my "How to import and render your animations in octane renderer" video tutorial.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

BigKOfJustice posted:

Dump animated geometry out in frames [models] or another data set, import into Houdini, regenerate velocity data into point attributes for motion blur if required and write out a renderman rib file for import into octane?

I'll have to do some tests if I get around to picking up octane.

/edit

Or just export directly from Maya or Max it looks like :doh:

Yea it is pretty simple, here is the video I made that shows the process. (nevermind the hosed up aspect ratio at the end, it is my error)

http://vimeo.com/12123586

.rib and collada importing is also coming before V1.0 comes out so I am guessing we will get a timeline in octane too.

Also octane is 49 euros for one week so if there is ever a time to get it it is now.

keyframe fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 29, 2010

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

FERN GULLY FAN posted:

that mini iron man render is also part of the mudbox 2011 install splash screens. I just thought that was mildly humorous.

Well it is textured in mudbox :unsmith:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

cubicle gangster posted:

I nearly spat my drink out when this first came on tv. Who the gently caress let a furry get a job in advertising.

In other news... I finished my showreel!
My aim was 'in time for summer', and seeing as june starts tomorrow I think i've done it. I've had to use a lot more older work than I wanted to - When my boss saw the original version he veto'd a ton of my best poo poo because a lot didnt have planning.
The station was 12 months ago, everything else at least 18. :(

Anyway here it is:

http://vimeo.com/12176256
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY-bQ97s4Hc

Your vimeo link is set to private by the way.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

BigKOfJustice posted:

Saw this blog floating around work, never thought much of it until I noticed that 1 or 2 other forums [including cgtalk] is deleting any reference to it on their respective sites.

http://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com/

I think some of the articles and comments are hitting a bit too close to home for some people.

"Hey look I will bitch about the industry while remaining anonymous."

I totally agree with Leigh's post at cgtalk over this.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=6531440&postcount=2

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
YAY for 17 hr workdays :smithicide:

Maybe I should go back to games.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

sigma 6 posted:

Here is the beauty pass, with no post.
Still needs a lot of work.

I think you need to rethink your composition first before spending any time on the lighting.

It is quite busy with no focal point. I would try to simplify it a little and try to get a better composition. Right now both the background and the foreground is flat. You have the scientists goggles pushing your eye towards the rights which then hit the vial and the diagonal angle of the shelf pushes your eyes back into the scientists chest and repeat. Also for the love of god dont have the tip of his finger touch the bottom of the frame.

I also think this aspect ratio is ugly as gently caress but thats a personal opinion. A more cinematic AR would help this a lot.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Geared Hub posted:

Toronto seems to be the heart of overtime/billing abuses in the industry, in Canada at least. Vancouver is a much better city with studios getting higher profile work and better work environments.

One of my friends works at a studio in Ontario.

At his current job, they implemented some sort of login based time card system. Where the system logs you out after 30 minutes of inactivity [a problem with dailies, meetings and lunch]. It's difficult to change the time after the fact. They also introduced this system with no announcement.

Previously the company had paid lunch, since Ontario law allows for paid breaks every few hours. Many workplaces eliminate the breaks and combine them into a paid lunch hour allowing for a nominal 9-5 workday. That's pretty nice, In California I don't get that so my nominal 8 hour day is 9-6.

I suspect one reason is the studio found out they could bypass the break rule and get their 1 hour of work back.

The problem is, many studios operate on some form of flex time. The idea is you may want to work late one night to get a problem fixed that occurred at 4pm. A TD will stay late and fix the problem and just come in late the next morning instead of billing OT.

Or someone can get extra work done on the weekend, if they were late. Or a team takes a long lunch and makes up hours later.

Now if the same people are nickled and dimed on time, theres no incentive to do anything extra. What? The pipeline broke? Sorry it's 6pm, quitting time I'll deal with it i the morning while you have 40 people sitting idle billing hours but not doing work while I figure out.

So production will have to eat issues like that or start actually paying out overtime.

Stuff like that works for call centers and most average jobs but something like tv/film production it can backfire on the people who implemented it.

That sounds like Nerd Corps here in vancouver. They have a system that literally puts alerts on your screen that change color as time goes saying "you are late with your shot" Of course they have retarded impossible quotas.

I know a couple people who had nervous breakdowns there.

I am currently working on set and goddamn do I love it. Free breakfast and lunch and fully stocked kitchen that look like costco. My next gig is going to suck after getting used to this.
:v:

In other news zbrush 4 is out but good luck loading the webpage its getting raped.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Film is pretty chill usually. The biggest problem with film is it takes too long to trickle down the pipe for your shot to get to people who make decisions. I had to spend a month revising a shot that could have been finaled in 5 hours. By the way my above post example is from a tv animation studio. I will rather work at a shoe factory in china than ever work at Tv animation again.

Also just bought zbrush 4 and it owns.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Man zbrush 4 is so much fun to use. I am really loving the uv master (I know its not new but first time I used it) and go z. The clay buildup brush owns as well.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Zbrush experts I need tips on sculpting the eye area, mainly the lids. Thanks! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Travakian posted:

Has anyone worked at ILM Singapore / Lucasfilm? Some folks I'm working with now mentioned friends working there in the past, just curious how one would get a job way out that way, if it's worth being away from North America/UK/'home', etc.

You can get a job there easy if you are willing to work for wages interns would scoff at.

If you decide take the job there be sure to factor in the singapore living costs, taxes and everything before you accept an offer.

keyframe fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 19, 2010