Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

Nice OP!

Has anyone heard of Gradient FX? Just sent them my reel, and they have next to nothing on their website.

Also, I wish I had something cool to put into the gallery. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

I officially hate Silhouette, and am very very happy I am back on Shake.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

Oh man, I just realized I have this minotaur I made back in school. I'll post a screengrab of it later. Maybe I'll even do a silly render. No texture though cause my texture is terrrible.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

I would not say learn Houdini. The knowledge you learn with it won't be really translated anywhere else, and I don't know of any other studios besides the really big ones that use it. And when they do use it, it's primarily for particle work.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

I'm not saying Houdini isn't a good package or something that wouldn't be good to learn, but as a starting package I'd have to say it's not the best. I kind of over exaggerating a teensy bit in that post. *cough*

Name another large package that's as truly node-based as houdini is.

I think there's a reason why there's a lack of talent, and that's because in my opinion it's a hard starting point. You get so much information, and a lot of it is info you won't really use until you do ridiculous things like your Hulk setup. (also, I saw some of the hulk R&D stuff at rhythm, man that stuff was in fact insane.) So people learn the easier packages that still get things done, and leave Houdini to the people that really know how to use it. Also the fact that very few smaller shops use it would put a strain on someone finding a job. I do know that pretty much every houdini desk I walked by at DD was making sparks for speed racer.

But if it's just for fun, I guess that last part doesn't really matter, and you'd have an infinite amount of time to learn new packages anyway. :D

I've also heard that saying about trackers, and in my experience, it's not true. :( drat you Boujou I hate you! Everyone should use the much cheaper and better syntheyes.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

Correct gamma workflow for physical accuracy was one of the weirdest/hardest things for me to wrap my head around. I'll find a link to post here in a bit.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

I don't know Vray, but your translucency is set to None. That means it's not see through.

At least it seems to me that would be the case.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

BonoMan posted:

:words:

Try copying your camera, deleting the keyframes after frame 1, and using that camera as the projection.

edit: by copying, I mean duplicate.

PowerLlama fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 3, 2008

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

BonoMan posted:

edit: poo poo lemme start this over (in case anyone saw the old post)

I mentioned in my first post that I did have a second camera that was to project the camera. However I can't just make it a duplicate of the first camera because the matte is actually much bigger than the frame size (720p). This is because it's basically a world matte so that the camera has room to move around.

So the problem is moving the projection around so that the little bit that is supposed to show up in the first frame actually matches the position of the train and buildings.

Oh I see what you're saying.

You could try setting the matte to an image plane (I don't know what this is called in Max if you're using Max), have the translation of the camera be in the same spot as the original, then using the aim control, aim it little by little in wireframe mode one way or another until things look like they may line up, then apply the projection.

Or apply the projection, set your rendering mode to smooth shade with textures, move it a little, reapply the projection, so on and so forth.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

Coolest medical animation I've seen all week. Hell maybe ever!

http://www.hybridmedicalanimation.com/demoReel.html

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

I haven't played with Maya in a while, and tonight decided to fresh up on some of my 3D skills.

And holy poo poo. The hypershade is so bad. I don't remember it being this bad, but now that I'm so used to node based workflow (shake, combustion, nuke) it's so so terrible.

Makes me want to go play with Houdini instead, haha. Or maybe XSI's new ICE node thing.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

Gromit posted:

I don't know anything about Watchmen, but that trailer made the movie look like utter dross covered in a thin veneer of over-the-top effects. Didn't sell me at all, I'm afraid.
Not that I think you care, of course. :)

I think the trailer was mainly to amp fans. Hence no mention of a plot or really anything else.

Alan Moore is a dickbag, and V for Vendetta was better as a movie than a comic.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

Screen is a bit different. From the Shake help button:

The Screen function mimics the effect of exposing two film negatives together. Technically, it inverts both layers, multiplies the two layers together, and inverts the result. It is particularly handy for reflections and luminescent elements, as it preserves the highlights.

I use it for adding rotoshapes together.

Also, wooo I think I'm gonna have a steady job on the sarah conner chronicles. Yay no more freelance commercials!

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

^^^^ That is badass.

balistic posted:

I'll be there, likely just for one day (gotta work).

The Blur party will be Wednesday night (the 13th). Crystal Method will be playing. Haven't heard what the location is yet.

I'm so pumped for that party I hear they're always awesome.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

My first commercial is up on youtube! I did roto on this mofo back in June.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1EUqc3HWcM

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

I've never seen it either, and it actually has a nice design to it, unlike some other 3d site. *cough highend3d cough*

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

sigma 6 posted:

^^^ Good job but it looks like your textures are stretching around the shoulder but I am sure you know that already.

Also the render of the interior the interior doesn't look quite right (too dark?). Is that light coming from the TV? If so, where is the TV? If the light is coming from the lava lamp it doesn't read that way. Overall your textures could be grungier and more detailed but I think that is going against the cartoon aesthetic.

TouchToneDialing: If that is a "whizzy wig bullshit kind of render" . . . I wish I was capable of that kind of bullshitting!! Other than the stock people in the background it looks pretty fantastic. However I thought your last render was pretty close to photoreal too, so what do I know.

Also I want to thank whoever posted the alchemy link. Cool stuff!! Now if it was only pressure sensitive.

tv is behind the lava lamp. It's dark though.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

SGT. Squeaks posted:

yeah, if it's too dark to see the tv, it's obviously too dark. Thanks guys! I'll lighten it up a bit. I'll fix the texture too.

It looks like the TV is just black, which wouldn't be right with a lava lamp right next to it.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

Fayez Butts posted:

Long enough legs?

And big enough feet?

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

I love SynthEyes. But not many places use it. Everywhere has boujou though.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

I have not one, but two commercials premiering on the superbowl! A coke spot and a toyota tundra spot.

edit: 3 commercials. A sprint ad as well.

PowerLlama fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 1, 2009

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

Heintje posted:

London only does time in lieu, I'm kinda nervous if they don't pay me out for it at the end of the contract. I don't work for free!

I've heard some bad things about London studios overworking people from the states.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

mashed_penguin posted:

I just switched back from Nuke to Shake since starting at a new studio. And after using Nuke for the last 3 years Shake is pretty painful. It works fine and the pipeline here has tons of custom stuff to add in features. But I just find Nuke much faster and easier to use. Plus its 3d comp system kicks rear end.

I do like being able to shake nodes loose though :v:

Also comp / VFX thread probably would make sense.

It's not too painful when you're trying to do paint work. Nuke 6 needs to be here yesterday, the paint node sucks so bad in 5.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

DD is opening a Vancouver office.

I guess I won't be living in LA for very much longer. Everything is moving across the borders. loving taxes.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

The Foundry has just purchased Katana from Sony Pictures Imageworks and are planning on rolling it into Nuke.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

It really sounds like a good move for both of them.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

Man I am happy I work in commercials. Don't have to deal with a lot of the waiting since stuff hits the air a few weeks after we finish it. I've seen stuff go up the day after we ship it.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

Oh my god that is awesome. I love Venture Bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

cubicle gangster posted:

By unpaid they usually will put you up in housing with food money, it just wont be a wage you can save any money from.

Just wanted to pop in here and say this is definitely not the norm out in LA, and from what I've heard not in NY either. Most unpaid internships are exactly that, unpaid. You're lucky if you get mileage for doing runs. It's completely against the law, but what's an intern gonna do, not try and get some experience? Sue the company?

Sorry John.

I know R&H does the apprenticeships, where they actually pay people money (good loving money!!!) to go into corporate housing and learn the R&H system, and that's basically their form of an internship. I would have killed for that.

Pretty much every person I know who is or was an intern, wasn't paid.