Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
J-10 fighter:

started this a while ago for the Source engine, kind of hit a tough spot trying to figure out how to handle the textures exactly, got bored and forgot about it. but I'd like to finish it up sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Little B-52 model I did for a forum, under a 3000 poly/1024^2 limit.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Never completed a character model before. Trying to make a basemesh for sculpting. I'm scared. :(

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

EoinCannon posted:

That all looks great for sculpting
I would go through and get rid of the tris though, they won't subdivide very well and you will probably get pinching and stuff.
Are you going to export the clothing separately and use it as a subtool? (Assuming you're using ZBrush)
I was gonna use mudbox, but I was planning on exporting the clothes as separate meshes, yeah.

As for the tris, I can get rid of some of them pretty easily, but others (like the ones on the side of the torso) I don't know how to get rid of without adding another edgeloop, which makes the quads in that area less square. What's the best way to handle that?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Cool, thanks! That went pretty smoothly.

Added hands and some baggy pants (he's a slovenly young person). At the moment they read like sweatpants to me--not sure if that's because of the way the groin/rear area is modelled, or because the cuffs at the bottom aren't defined yet. I guess I'll have to sort that out in mudbox.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Yip Yips posted:

It looks like you compounded your issue with tri's on the shoulder blades
Should have mentioned, it's just z-fighting from the body mesh underneath, which I haven't deleted yet.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Eoin, Log - Awesome!

I am sculpting my first sculpt. Haven't subdivided it very much yet, and going for some TF2-style cartoon edges on the face.

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 6, 2009

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Hey guys. I'm trying to do a low-poly mesh for the Source engine based on this sculpt I was given and I've got the shape more or less right, but the meshflow looks vewwy ugwy. What should I be working on here before I move to unwrapping?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

I'm making a spaceship for my source mod about space pirates.

It needs something on the bottom. Maybe some sweet guns?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Everything I create is a penis :negative:

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Sigma-X posted:

This guy's work is loving amazing holy poo poo:
http://www.game-artist.net/forums/work-progress/13593-anthro-character-project-wip.html

Ever since cgtalk bought out game-artist.net game-artist.net has been going to poo poo. Like half of the contributing good artists there were mods and they all got replaced by cgtalk mods and 90% of the work is loving terrible.
I know I'm behind here but jesus christ this is terrifying. Utterly terrifying. I can't decide whether it looks more like the Predator or one of the Achewood cats. Or maybe Birdo.

Also, for content, I think my meshflow needs work. Can anyone help me here? I try to stay in quads but it seems like that creates a lot of unnecessary poly density unless I merge the edges at some points:

Click here for the full 566x683 image.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

I'm having trouble baking normals on a spacey prop I'm doing. I'm using Xnormal which normally works pretty well, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

The side brackets are giving the most trouble here. Also, that's with smoothing groups, which I remember reading are not supposed to be necessary on models with normal maps. But it looks worse with just one smoothing group:

The high poly and low poly meshes overlay pretty nicely on each other:

Is it a cage problem?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

So I should be breaking the smoothing before I bake the normals, then?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Got it, thanks :)

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

I'm having another go at a little space pod I tried a while ago, and I'm having pretty much the same problems as before, despite having learned that tangent space normals need smoothing groups 3 pages ago.

My hipoly looks okay:

Click here for the full 878x548 image.

My lopoly looks okay:

Click here for the full 878x548 image.

And the two meshes match up pretty well. But as soon as I do a bake in Xnormal it comes out pretty screwed up:

e - Nevermind, problem solved. Cinema 4D was removing the smoothing groups when I exported the low poly mesh.

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 17, 2010

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

I'm getting kind of sick of UV mapping (or doing anything else) in 3DS Max. Is there a best program for that I should learn?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Hellbeard posted:

Well... I'm gonna keep pushing the diffuse texture some more. Here's what I got so far:

Maybe I'll start on the props for a bit...
Are you gonna leave his face that color? He looks kinda dead.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Working on a spaceship for my Source mod. Still have a whole bunch of texture detailing to do.

P.S. looks amazing EoinCannon!

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

congrats Dean! I'm making a TIE Fighter for UDK, little under 9000 tris right now, I'm aiming for <15,000 with a cockpit interior. I have no idea how I'm gonna handle UV mapping this monstrosity.

Actually, come to think of it, I was planning on doing the UVing in 3DS Max, but are there any programs/plugins that make it substantially easier? That would be sick.

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 16, 2011

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

EoinCannon posted:

Learning to UVW map "by hand" is worth the time and annoyance.
MAX has heaps of tools to make it easier than it used to be

Oh yeah, I know how to do it. Just dreading doing all the greebles.

I think I'm just gonna paint the rest on the normal map.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Sigma-X posted:

Painting distortion-less squared shapes onto a spherical projection seems like it'll be a pain in the rear end. Do you have some ref for the missing greebles?
Yeah, I've been using the high-res pictures of this model for most of it.

Sigma-X posted:

I'm personally not a fan of painting 3d shapes into a normal map, I think you get a better result with modeling it - I keep painted normals as textural details only.

Also if you don't know how to UV unwrap I would strongly recommend not cutting corners on your modeling - these are all things you need to learn, they're not something you can half-rear end and dodge forever.
Haha I know how to UV map! What I am kind of dodging though is high poly modelling, I pretty much learned to model doing low poly stuff for the Quake 3 engine so all this subdividing and smoothing and baking normals is pretty intimidating.

mutata posted:

You could always model the greebles on a high res mesh and bake them onto the final mesh later. Best of both worlds. 3D painting programs are good for dancing around distortion problems, too.
I'm probably gonna model them on the high res mesh. Probably will have to learn how to do a cage to keep the normals from turning into a disaster.

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 17, 2011

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Tw1tchy posted:

Actually yeah, TV industry is C4D's main niche since most of it isn't hyper-realism, it's 3D text and animations, or big simulations. C4D has Mograph and Modyamics and all that which are made almost specifically for it. I like it for games modelling since it's fast and simple!

I like it too!

BUT I've yet to figure out if it has an Add Edgeloop function like Max does, where you can just stick one on wherever you want. That's pretty frustrating, I end up using the knife tool to make them.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

You've got some pretty major issues with shaders here. And some z-fighting, it looks like? I would tone down the wonky VMTs and focus more on texturing and architecture.

You should check out the Source SDK thread, which is kind of inactive, but the people who do post are generally pretty knowledgeable.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Taking a Maya class. My teacher is insisting that I connect all my intersecting meshes, including cylinders. :catstare:

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

concerned mom posted:

To make them watertight?
I guess haha. We're doing a low-poly gun model with no normal maps or anything so it seems like kind of a waste of polygons.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

concerned mom posted:

That's even worse. Why make low poly watertight, it's a waste of triangles unless you're working on an engine that needs watertight and pretty much none of them do! He *might* be trying to teach you the correct way to weld and cut vertices so they display right, but frankly its the wrong way to show you if he is.
I think he's just not great at modeling. I'm still learning a lot from him about all the tools and idiosyncrasies that Maya comes with, but it's annoying when he makes me worsify stuff I want to put in my portfolio. I think I'm just gonna not do it and pretend I forget if he mentions it again.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

PAnick that is bomb as eff. I want to be that guy's friend.

Here is an old flaregun I am making

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Hey, I have a little question for you guys. I'm working on remaking a model of a transforming mech from 1998 Electronic Arts game, based on the cutscenes and promo art. It's been hard as balls so far to figure out and animate the transformation, so I'm thinking it could be a good portolio piece. BUT, given it's pretty closely modeled after this old game, should I avoid using it if I'm shopping a portfolio around (which is a ways off, I'm still a student right now)? Or is it okay as long as I make a note of the source?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Oh man, I think that was the first 3d accelerated game I played, on my old Performa. How did you decide on using it?
It was the first game I played when I was a kid aside from Math Blaster and iMac-bundled stuff, and I always thought the mech was the coolest thing ever. I tried modeling it in 2006 but I wasn't very good and gave up--I just found some of the files again and decided to make a second attempt.

Here's what I have so far

It's been a huge challenge looking at all the 240p rips of cutscenes on YouTube trying to work out what all the different pieces look like and how they fit together. Although luckily the game came with a comic book that had orthographic views printed on the back, so that's a big help. I'm really excited though because although the original model was great, the textures were as 1998 as you could get. So I really want to give it a current-gen treatment with normals and specmaps and like, actual dirt and stuff on it. I'm gonna try to do the cockpit interior with illuminated HUD and stuff too.

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 23, 2013

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Me, I want to do that

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

uglynoodles posted:

I've learned to never, ever start anything in Zbrush and make basemeshes in Maya first, UV, then take it along for some fun Zbrush sculpting.
If I'm somehow wrong and there's a nifty workflow I can use for this, please let me know because I'm loving Zbrush but it loves polys.

I've begun learning 3DCoat for its retopologizing stuff and that's been... fun, with a gazillion poly model. I've been working on my dinosaur.
The retopo'd tail I made initially was crap so I had to remake it in Maya and attach it, but its density was much less than the rest of the model and so I fear it's connected a little janky. The retopo'd arms and toes were similarly poo poo so I'm in the process of rebuilding those.

Here are my wires. Any suggestions are helpful.

My instructor said for me to aim for 10k polys. As it stands right now, with both halves it's only ~7500. I figure I can do the eyes, eyelids, front arms, toes, teeth and tongue with the remaining, right?
Your poly distribution could use some work--you have spots like the flank where there's a whole bunch of faces that aren't really doing anything, and then other spots that don't have enough faces (like the segmentation on the tail, it's going to look bad if you want to bend it around much). The poly distribution doesn't need to be so even across the model--put more faces in focal points that need detail like the head and claws and feet, or spots like the joints that need to deform well. Put less faces in big flat areas that don't need much definition. You also might want to build some better edgeloops around the head--right now it's looking kind of griddy with no space for the eye to go in. The overall shape of the T-rex is looking pretty accurate though.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

I'm waitlisted as a volunteer. I don't think it's gonna happen. Some of my friends are going though, good luck to you goonz.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

I wanted to copy the mech from this old PSX game that I used to love as a kid:

My version (it can transform into a hovercraft like the game version but I haven't rigged the textured version up to do it yet):

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 24, 2013

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

This is the best use of Substance Designer I've ever seen.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Stuff4and5 posted:

Texture painting in photoshop is a bit of a pain, I can't set down straight lines and such on my models. Does Illustrator have some kind of 3d paint feature? Or is there another program I could use that would be as effective?

There's a bunch of programs that do 3D painting--Substance Painter, 3D Coat, Mudbox. I'm not sure what the best option is although we use Substance Painter at work and it's pretty great.

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 18, 2015

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Ccs posted:

I bought a dinosaur animation tutorial from 3DMotive recently. The rig works, the tutorial is pretty useful, but then I turned on wireframe-on-shaded view. WTF is going on with this topology:

It almost causes me physical pain to look at how it's constructed. Why would they do something like this?!

Fun fact about this tutorial: I made that raptor model when I was 16 years old as a mod for Star Wars Jedi Academy. People later ported it to Garry's Mod and Left 4 Dead 2 (without contacting me, of course). Then some guy made an animation tutorial with it and sold it to 3Dmotive. I complained to them and they said he signed a contract guaranteeing that all content was authored by him. I don't think I ever got credit for it in any of those cases :smith:

I have no idea who did that to the geometry, but it was probably a third- or fourth-hand model by the time it got to the 3Dmotive tutorial.

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 21, 2015

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Odddzy posted:

You could have grounds to sue in some cases, they have to enforce their contract with the guy, not you.
Yeah--I did get the video series plus a 75% discount off all their downloads, but in retrospect I probably could have pushed a lot harder. My friends advised me to just take it and at the time I was caught a little too flatfooted by it to think about my options.

I should have asked for a free subscription for as long as they kept the video on their site.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Ccs posted:

Wow, that's crazy. Is it really so difficult for people to just make an original raptor model? It's not like they're super difficult to sculpt or have to capture a very specific likeness. This kind of model isn't even great for animation anymore because the eye is built into the geo. It definitely looks like it was made for an older video game.

The rig is also quite bad. A rig of this complexity should be around 16 mb maximum. But for some reason this rig file is nearly 100 mb. It's crazy. They did some weird poo poo with nodes and not deleting history properly so it just kept swelling in size.
Yeah, I really like most of the stuff I've gotten from 3Dmotive but some of their tutorials from contractors are kinda lovely, craft-wise.

I tried to go through the raptor tutorial but I kept getting distracted by PERSONAL RESENTMENT

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Are they ever going to fix transparency sorting though :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

You might want to see a doctor about those n-gons.