Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying my hand at sculpting for the first time, chose this spooky subject to begin with

kind of stuck on where to go next, I'm having a hard time adding more detail since I've pretty much exclusively been making low poly character models until now. I'm pretty happy with it and wanted to share it though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kanine posted:

i want this to kill me in dark souls

it's funny you should say that, it's actually based on an enemy design from Dark Souls 3 v:v:v

i'll take that as a great compliment

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kanine posted:

hey im curious how did you goons get into art?

i grew up being obsessed with lego, and i think that informed a lot of my early fascination with 3d spaces. then the forge mode in halo 3 transitioned into me making custom maps for pc games like counters-strike. from that i transitioned into game environment art because i found it a lot more fun making levels that looked really nice and wanted to become better at that than anything else.

I can't even remember how/why I started, although I do remember that I somehow discovered gmax and started using that. I've always been super interested in the "behind the scenes" of how games are put together so that was probably one of the factors (I still love seeing wireframes and textures, debug modes, out of bounds, all that sort of stuff you're not supposed to see). It's funny you should mention legos though because one of the oldest pictures I still have of my early 3D stuff is this lego car I made dated 2007:

it was from my favourite set as a kid :shobon:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is that pure CG? If so then that is drat fine rendering.

EoinCannon posted:

Looks awesome, CG or not :cool:

i'm flattered but i'm also literally posting in the 3DCG thread :blush:

it's just babbys first attempt at realistic rendering - i didn't really mess with the default cycles settings and i'm using a free material i got from a youtube video plus a hdri that i also got for free online.

i did spend a bunch of time messing with the little touches though because i really enjoy that. things like making sure the paint is a little sloppy (they always were on these things), that nothing is perfectly aligned to cardinal directions and there are imperfections and seams on the model. and my favorite thing that had a great effect was doing manual registration and messing with the white balance of each frame for the stop motion :dogcited: i'm glad y'all like it!