Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Started to get back into using Blender to make things, opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

echinopsis posted:

Looks good :) You need to practice your UE4 foo and dump it in there for ease of goregousness

Thanks duder, started messing with UE4 yesterday, already starting to like things with it over Unity.

Here's a couple more for the pyramid set.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Another heads up, Substance Painter is currently 40% off on steam for the next 16 hours.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/273390/

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
God drat, Substance Painter is insanely awesome to use, really wish there where people doing more tutorials on it as i feel what I've been doing from clutzing around is barely a drop in the ocean..

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Oh wow, I never really looked at Designer at all, it looks really good for generating tons of materials just to slap around as needed. I really love painter though, being able to paint on image files, use stencils and stuff, most of the rust on the box i painted on with the particle brushes after doing a first pass with the rust texture set to a dust mask.

I just wish it integrated with Blender a bit more, though that's true with most programs, everyone forgets about Blender :(

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

I just noticed, is that a Sports Direct mug hiding on the left?

Project for the weekend, hope to start textures sometime at the end of today, its just so fiddley!

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Today I start texturing, after cleaning it up and adding a couple of buttons I didn't do last night.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
How the hell do I rotate brushes in Substance Painter?

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Uhg, I might model my Samyang fisheye next weekend then. Turns out the brushes are linked to camera rotation, which I'm not quite sure If I like or not.

Ignore the terrible texture on the mode selector, it unwrapped weird so I'm going to have to do some fuckery to fix it.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Sub polyed it, 100k, you really don't want to see the wireframe, its a terrible abomination of me being super loving lazy and just wanting to texture something.

Seriously..

I could of probably done it faster and with less tris if I sculpted it.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

KiddieGrinder posted:

Hey it doesn't look that bad, don't be hard on yourself. Besides it's not like it needs a good flow for animating or anything anyway.

I'm curious what program this is, because some of those edges look mighty smooth, and there's no extra loops to accomplish that effect. Some sort of soft edge smoothing?

Thanks man :)

It's all done in Blender through their cycles render setting, It's kinda funny looking at how powerful it is now after using it for a couple of years around 08.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Tried a new render method, hdr world/skybox thing and stuff, took almost 2 hours to render on my 5 year old pc D:

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Most camera NV/IR is still black and white, the green tinge we're used to is from nv goggles/films and the like.

I agree with the other points though, some camera bob and wiggle would be good, also maybe adding a slight blue tinge and a bit of noise if you are going for the whole camera thing. I don't know if you did it but having the camera moving before it cuts to it also helps it feel more real, if that makes sense? Love it anyways!

'Finished' the camera, the new HDRI plugin blenderguru put out is amazing.

https://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/make-realistic-outdoor-lighting-cycles/

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Cheers man, and no? That was done in cycles, what's the deale'o with LuxRender?

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Holy crap that's cool, care to tell me more about that? Sounds like something fun to do when I'm wondering around central London.

Been playing with Marmoset Toolbag for the last couple of days and finally started to figure out how to get some really nice results, here's a work in progress I'm messing with for a concept.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Second options is probably better, like Synth said.

Made a smoke grenade this morning, still cant get over how lovely Marmoset makes everything look.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
/\ To add, a soft dimpled bumpmap too to give it that extra bit of texture you can see at the top of the first picture would probably help too.

Getting closer and closer to finishing this, any suggestions? Really suck at compositing so for right now all I have is a single spotlight in marmoset D:

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
That was pretty rad!

Heard rumours about Substance Painter 2.0 coming out sometime in the near future, anyone got some more info? What they're planning on adding to it and stuff, as i heard you're going to have to pay for the upgrade from 1.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I'm more interested in what they have planed for Painter, as if its just a viewport and a few tweaks i cant see much of a point in upgrading.

Also to share the substance painter love, this took me no time at all compared to other methods, and would of been less but there was allot of loving around with masks and maybe a crash or three.

Really want to pick up Substance Designer sometime though, i heard it integrates really well with unity.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

keyframe posted:

Toolbag is worth every penny and then some.

This /\

working on modelling James Bonds original gun from the books, still messing with the grips though.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Sigma-X posted:

You're missing a ton of the rich color that is in the concept that makes him so interesting. While some of that may be brought back in with a better lighting scenario, you might want to try working a lot more color into him. He's got these rich purples and blues all over but your guy is mostly white, and you've even desaturated the firey horns and the mandrill-style blue/red face coloration.

e: looking at the mesh, you're floating his teeth and his rocky arm bits through the mesh and I don't think those are going to deform nicely if you rig - they're going to float and slide a little bit. You might want to stitch them to the underlying mesh.

Agreed, also defining those veins a bit more, they seem darker in the original, some emissive on the horns could possibly help too, awesome work though!

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I wonder if 3d printing in wax will ever become a thing, it would make that process so much easier.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Kanine posted:

currently in art school (MICA) and i had to make a personal project or i would go insane. so i did a quick chess set to mess with baking projected wood textures. you can see it in marmoset viewer here lol

That's cool as hell, how did you do it?

Working on making a F4 so i can experiment with UDKs manatee animations, and just because god dammit i need a personal project too, here's my progress after a few hours yesterday.

Planning on hopefully finishing it this week around work hours and getting it textured.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Kanine posted:

i literally just projected the textures over the pieces in max, and exported the hipoly models with the uv data into xnormal and then baked base maps onto the lowpoly models. i did it from a few angles because of stretching and then masked the less stretchy parts in photoshop. it is actually quite easy and ill defs be using this soon, because i plan on doing some wood laminate materials on a gun stock.

Thanks, I'll have to look into doing that in Blender somehow, the best wood material I managed to get was this from a good few months ago, and even then it looks more like bakelite or something like that.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
That's looking amazing, saw your concept sketches on your site and really excited for the final product man!

So i have a question as someone who's still kinda starting out with 3d stuff, what do employers look for in a portfolio? I'm currently stuck as an animator at a company and I'm not enjoying it a whole ton (After effects monkey). I've only really been goofing around with making 3d things for a few months now and still haven't tried tackling characters yet, been too busy messing with weapons because they're so easy :(

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
You guys are awesome :3:

Do people care about poly count much anymore? I try to be really stingy with my polys (that pewpew was about 8-9k) should poly count be something I mention on pieces?
I see allot of pieces where they just mention its high poly.

I'm hoping to try to specialize in hard poly, props and vehicles, maybe some environment stuff.

EDIT: Screenshot from the unreal game me and my buddy are slowly working on, 1950-60s detective office that i haven't had a chance to work on in ages, the lighting got a bit messed with the recent update.

Keket fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 10, 2015

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
That's exactly the kind of role i want to get into! Thanks for all the help guys :)

The only other hurdle i have right now (At leased in my head, you guys can probably confirm) is that all i really know is Blender, i mean i know it really well, and how to export assets into Marmoset, UDK, Unity and Substance, but I don't think i could really turn around at a interview and say 'oh, and I'd have to use unity for everything.' :( Lack of money stops me from getting into any of the other programs and my time as a student is long gone so no student discounts.

Would this be a big issue if a company said 'Your works nice.' and i'd have to learn a new program on the job?

Here's some environment stuff i made for the game, this is all a few months old now as this new jobs sucked up most of my time. Made with blender, textured in Substance and dumped into UDK.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
That's coming along awesomely duder! That clothing program seems like its the future for adding clothes to characters.

Question about character models and portfolios. As i said earlier I've never tried my hand at actually making a 3d character model, I've always done hardpoly stuff, so how is it looked upon when you (With permission of course) model a character from someone else's concept art?

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Yeah, that makes sense, I emailed the guy and he said to go for it so I spent the last hour trying to figure out how the gently caress to use Zbrush (Seriously that alt release camera pan, what.).

Managed to poo poo this out, be gentle (Don't).

1 hour in.

Original concept art https://www.artstation.com/artwork/X1k0y

There's already a couple of things I've noticed, the flat face and lack of cheek bone definition, any suggestions on how I could fix this, and general Zbrush tips?

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Yeah, I realised that and went back a few steps, here's how its looking after a few more hours.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Nope just the one from the side :( hopefully I can figure it out as I go.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Okay, so I managed to tone down the alienness and tried adding hair tonight, but whenever I try to do clay buildup or anything it pulls the inside up too, I masked off the head and extracted it to use as a base like the edge-cgi guys do in their tutorials.. I honestly don't know what the gently caress I'm doing when it comes to blocking this.

This isn't right is it?

Then dynamesh loses it :(

Ignore how terrible the hair is, I've been struggling to figure this out :(

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
/\ gently caress yeah dude!

Rapt0rCharles9231 posted:

Turn on solo every once in a while to check out parts of the hair hidden by the head too, sometimes there might be secret garbage hidden away on the inside. I usually fill out the inside of the hair subtool, because sculpting on a thin plane is a pain and its covered up by the head anyway.

Also, I don't know what brushes you're using, but for stylized stuff the hPolish and TrimDynamic brushes will be your best friends.

How would i fill in the subtool? And I've mostly been using flatten, clay, clay buildup and move for it so far, but I'll try those out tonight if i get the subtool behaving.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
The current project we're finishing off here (Animation) has apparently been worked on for about 2+ years now, maybe even 4.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Thanks for the Zbrush help guys, is there a good resource for what each of the brushes do and what they can be used for anywhere?

I managed to block out some hair, still no idea what I'm doing when it comes to characters but learning Zbrush is pretty fun, I could see why its would be great to do hard poly stuff in.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

StickFigs posted:

I tried a couple times with boolean and manual cleanup but I kept getting tiny slivers of tris that messed up my vertex smoothing. I see in your pic you have lower res on the sphere than what I need and that made manual cleanup significantly harder.

Cut out the shape, select the edges and set them to sharp, go into modifiers and add edge split then turn off Edge Angle but keep Sharp Edges selected, this should sort it.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

StickFigs posted:

Wow that's exactly what I want. How did you go about making this and keeping the nice topology?

EDIT: I'm assuming you didnt use booleans? And no I don't plan on doing sub-d.

Is this what you're looking for?

http://we.tl/qsSEn1qFoy

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Hell yeah that sounds fun! Kinda want to do textures too, you make it I'll texture it! :D

Fish needs a nice pearlescent paintjob.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Quick and dirty half hour jobbie whilst at work, blender cycles, 1,500 polys.

Been wanting to play the new Rainbow Six all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Been having a crack at zBrush again now I'm a jobless scrub, anyone got any good tutorials on how I go from a high poly Zbrush (I know these arnt, i just like to know workflows) to a game model?

Also you guys know I cant resist making pewpews, but I finally upgraded my pc so I can export 4k textures now.