Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Just finished my freshman year of Game Art and Design at Ringling College of Art and Design. Sophomore year is when we start learning to use Zbrush for character designing and I figure I should get a head start this summer.
I'm wondering if I should use the tutorials that come with it or maybe a website like Lynda or Gnomon. Also I have a nice Wacom tablet. Should I use that or a mouse because I am not familiar with this program at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

So it's sophomore year of my bachelor's in Game Art and Design at Ringling College of Art and Design and we're learning how to make assets in Maya and port them over to Unreal 3 . Our first assignment was to create a modular building kit based on an architectural theme, our class' theme was Victorian Age architecture. We were to keep our buildings simple to avoid being over-scoped, and because we've never touched maya before.

The assignment has already been completed but I'm posting here because I would like to build a portfolio to get an internship somewhere this summer so I'll have time between now and then to add more pizazz to it.

Here it is as it was turned in. Built with high resolution lightmap UVs and production lighting. It's a very basic kit because this was my first time modeling. it includes:

Wall with window (with a cubemap reflection on the window)
Wall with door
Column with cubes
Bare Column
Those round bannister things
and that sign on the roof which will eventually have text

(that red line is from the lightmass importance volume in UDK. ignore it)

I want to know what I should add to it to make it a stronger piece for my portfolio to help win me an internship this summer.

Edit: upon retrospect there are some things I need to improve about the lightmap but I'm not entirely sure how to do it. Do I just sew UV shells and scale up the ones where the lighting is inaccurate?

Sourdough Sam fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 16, 2011

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

thanks for the critique guys, extremely helpful. I'll definitely look into adding more decorative elements to it to decrease the whole duplicated mesh look. The original reference image of which I based this building on( and will post when I find it again) has a lot of extra things but were a little advanced for me at the time. I've learned a lot about maya since then and am eager to make new pieces. I'll post my progress sometime during thanksgiving break.

Edit: found the image

Sourdough Sam fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 18, 2011

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

It's now my Junior year at Ringling College of Art and Design as a Game Art student. I just finished a five week long project in which we were to make an environment in Unreal with realistic level of detail. This is my futuristic Engine Room of a spaceship.

Click to enlarge

The textures are all hand-made. Nothing from photos thanks to the awesomeness of nDo 2. I highly recommend this software. http://www.quixel.se/index2.php

I have a ton of process work but I have yet to put together a proper blog to compile it all in. I know I really need to get one but I just haven't had time to slow down and set one up. This project just ended and our next 5 week project is starting today. I'm going to make it my mission to set a good blog up this week because I am very happy with how this turned out and I know how important it is to show your process work.

I learned a lot with this project, namely the importance of shaders, lighting, and post process. I can't wait to get started on my next project, which will be fantasy themed.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

So every year Blizzard Entertainment holds an art contest for students to see who can create the best original piece in their art style. The challenge is to create an environment that you'd find in World of Warcraft. I decided to spend my winter break preparing a submission and finally finished a couple of days ago. The level was built in Maya and the textures were painted in photoshop while the lighting and post process effects were done in Unreal 3.

Also I finally have a portfolio! Will be updating it with more things soon including resume.

http://wizardneedsfood.carbonmade.com/

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

I was taught Maya in school and was made to switch to Max for my job and have been using it for 7 years. Now I'm able to use both. I will say that Max has a few benefits but it's mostly wacky and obsolete. Autodesk doesn't care much for it either. I prefer Maya for most things.

I have, however, found the turbosmooth modifier in Max to be a godsend for game models where I can quickly make smooth high poly models for baking without needing to add edgeloops or creasing. Just smooth by smoothing groups 2-3 times then add another turbosmooth to smooth your smooth. :discourse:

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

cubicle gangster posted:

That sounds like not the right way to make game models...

I said "for baking" as in the turbosmoothed models don't go in the game, but get used as high poly models to generate normal maps for the low poly ones.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

EoinCannon posted:

I assumed it was something like meshsmooth mod with smoothing groups checked so it doesn't go all soft, then a turbosmooth on top of that

Correct. Turbosmooth has a checkbox to use smoothing groups. By applying 2-3 subdivisions and another turbosmooth with the box unchecked you end up with a clean high poly model that more or less matches the profile of the low poly model with no modifiers on it.

I occasionally have to chamfer certain edges on the low poly to match the more smooth silhouette on the high poly or use a push modifier to scale the low poly along normals to wrap around the high poly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

I think people who make tutorials should avoid trying to incorporate their "humor" and personality into it. I've also noticed when professional artists get big followings it can go to their head so fast. They don't conduct themselves carefully. Recently there was that very popular hard surface guy who posted many great tips and decided to just go full on racist and sexist on twitter one day.