Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Some of it is good though. Just inefficient because trading stuff between sites and timezones is inefficient. But if for a certain company it all goes to India, then they won't be trading assets back and forth and they'll be able to underbid at 3x less than anybody else.

I hope you're right, I just see a growing polarity shift in the industry. In every meeting we're told "we're actually mostly an Indian company now" because of where the headcount is. And friends at dneg say Namit (head of dneg and prime focus) also wants to make vfx an India centric industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Could be. My boss who’s been in the industry 20+ years remembers a time when it was all in California. Then it was almost all in canada and london. It’ll still probably always have a footprint in those places, same as vfx still has some footprint in cali, but where the majority of the work is could still shift. Depends on the skill of the labor pool.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah thats the whole business model. It's born out of a bit of desperation as getting profit from the vfx industry is a little like getting blood from a stone. And it doesn't help that when you try to be the largest, you also become the studio with the most overhead, and then you need to continue to bring in the work to keep the lights on at the facilities you've set up all over the world. And the clients know you need to underbid to keep paying the rent and software licenses, and it becomes a vicious cycle.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Big K of Justice posted:

That's not really necessary at all. I can't recall the last time I worked that late. Even in TV/Film. Something is wrong if that's the case.

Oh something is definitely wrong. But it's not super unusual. When I was in animation school my professors had stories of working until 5 am and driving home and almost wrapping their car around a tree. They told us not to do that, but also warned us "studio bosses will definitely ask you to do that. And early in your career it will be hard to say no."

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It's been 8 years since I tried to texture anything but I'm surprised to hear there's not an AI way to do flawless UV unwraps yet. I guess its the same way you'd think Paint/Roto would be automated already but nope.

https://twitter.com/axl99/status/1635807734212997120?cxt=HHwWgMDR6fSdx7MtAAAA

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

EoinCannon posted:

Studio I work at wants to get more into stylised animation work and less vfx so I'm doing some stuff in that direction, also learning substance a bit.

Yes, I have terrible taste in music

Nice!
This seems to be a trend with studios. Theres so much potential vfx work out there but clients are crazy and working with such short deadlines and the work has to look photo-real which is such a challenge. Stylized cg seems much easier from a management perspective. Cinesite and Animal Logic as well as a bunch of smaller studios transitioned away from vfx and toward cartoony tv series and features because of this. Also I think the profit margin in full-cg work is better?

I definitely never worked as much OT in cartoony stuff as I do in vfx. Every stint in vfx I do I gain like 30 lbs from the OT and the fact everyone drinks so much...

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Alonso thing is interesting. I've long heard terrifying things about her but it almost felt like she knew she had overstepped her bounds by promoting Argentina, 1985 in violation of her contract with Disney.

But yeah, I hope the next person filling that role isn't such a bully or kingmaker type. We need less power hungry maniacs who never give benefit of the doubt in this business.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 26, 2023

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Listerine posted:

So when it goes to streaming/physical disc, what happens- does the final version become the definitive one, or do they still keep the unfinished versions for release in those foreign markets?

I think the final version becomes the definitive one.
This article suggests Alonso leaving during the Iger shakeup will lead to a lot less vfx work. So hard times ahead.
https://deadline.com/2023/03/disney-lawsuit-threat-victoria-alonso-firing-marvel-patty-glaser-1235309916/

Ccs fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 26, 2023

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I will say I don't think Alonso's behavior is that uncommon in vfx. I've seen animation supervisors and vfx supes who are equally horrible to people. Depends on how stressed they are.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 26, 2023

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Well, it finally happened. The largest vfx studio announced to us the other day that they are gonna move 90% of the work to India starting in August 2024, at a gradual pace over the next 3 years.

It was a fuckin weird meeting, full of cheery declarations that they wouldn't completely close the western sites so supervisors don't have to worry, but rather that those would become "template" studios that produce the most important shots in every sequence, and that these would then be the shots that the India studios (they just opened a second one) would use to gauge their quality against. The guy wasn't even reading from a script so he maybe accidentally betrayed what order the disciplines would be outsourced. Comp, modeling and rigging is already 90% in India, so following that will be layout, lighting, dmp, cfx, fx, and finally animation.

This is a place that used to employ well over 3000 people in Canada and the UK, but going forward their vision is for each western site to never grow over 350-400 people, where 10 shows running at a time might have 5 artists from each department working on the important shots for those shows and then supervising the India teams.

At a previous studio we had a matchmove supervisor who used to have to constantly be on calls at 4 am with the studio in India that was doing the actual work, and I'm just waiting for that kind of thing to now be standardized across every department.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Big K of Justice posted:

I'm guessing MPC is just being hopeful internally, figuring worst case, they just hire everyone back wherever in the future.

It's less "hopeful" and more "grinning through the pain" as their financial position is extremely shaky right now. Their narrative to investors is that they'll send it to India to get better margins and make up for the last few years of bleeding money, and now they're communicating that plan to the artists (at a time when even their best artists are just happy to still have a job.)

But if they succeed it will surely impact the other studios as they will enlarge their India sites and poach in the search for equally good margins/ability to bid competitively.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Most Americans I met went to SCAD, a ridiculously expensive school but good at preparing students.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This reminds me how good Sheridan's placement rate is, everyone i graduated with found jobs within 6 months and are still in the industry. A number of us working on big vfx or feature films, others all now leads or supervisors in tv.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Another thing to note about vfx is that its nearly all left America. And the ones that remain in the UK and Britain are working as fast as possible to move everything to India. Its the stated goal of 2 of the largest vfx studios that by 2025 80% of all shots will be done in India, and the only people left in Canada and the UK will be seniors and supervisors. Which they kind of have to do because between debt load, interest rates, and the gap in work due to the strikes, if they can't get that business plan working then they're gonna go under.

Virtual production and previz are probably the last jobs that will leave the west, as they need to be near where things are actually filmed, or near the creative people who call the shots. Lately there has been a big push at the largest studio to get previz all in the UK though instead of doing any in California, as at least the UK has tax credits they can utilize. And the large places like offering clients previz in addition to finals so they know they got the project sooner and can use previz as the first round of layout, and avoid a lot of annoying ingesting of files from outside vendors.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

ILM opened in Mumbai and all their new Jedi Academies are are in Mumbai. Framestore is also increasing their Indian footprint in addition to their existing studio in Mumbai. My old department manager went to framestore and said every meeting is about how they can get more to India, and she has had to take on a team in Mumbai in addition to her canadian crew to manage.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So this is making the rounds at work today

https://openai.com/sora#capabilities

The artists under 30 I work with are saying this means we all won't have jobs in 5 years. Maybe I'm delusional or maybe I'm just jaded by so many cycles of tech hype (i worked with a lot of bitcoin bros at my first job and the bosses at my third studio were NFT hypers) but this reminds me of the amazing papers at Siggraph every year. Looks super cool! When can I expect it to become part of any workflow? ... *crickets*

Anyyyway, I'm sure it will further degrade the stock video market. And also make the general public assume that vfx work is all done by computers.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This is a convincing argument about why its not the end of the world, but i don't actually know if its right. Because AI is a black box to me and unless you're an AI researcher who isn't up themselves with their own hype, it's hard to know what the AI is actually doing.

quote:

I have watched carefully all the video examples in that link.

My honest view: That's cool progress on stability. I think that's the only good thing to mention.

Now, the rest. There is a reason why this works only with text to video and they didn't want to go any further for now.

I'll explain: With that prompt: A cartoon kangaroo disco dances, you can clearly see that is some shot from a movie. The dance isn't a coincidence (nothing is) it's the exact dance or a very similar one from a specific shot.
The same happens with every single video example shown there. You would think it's an original generated video, but in fact it's just blended input. You can't go beyond the footage you used for training. Ever. Why? Because magic only exists in the Harry Potter world. Pure and simple. Let's be rational here. Spontaneous generation doesn't exist.

So that's fun and cool, for sure. But it is very limitated as a tool to use in any professional space. Because if you mention or say something that isn't in the training as input, you'll end up with miserable results, ignored prompts or you'll find yourslef fighting forever to get exactly what you want.

This is the problem with AI, it can only "blend" what it already knows. It's not a robot out there having human experiences and getting fresh inputs. And this leads you exactly to the following place: the more specific you are, the more AI will ignore you or give you miserable results. Go ahead and try it. See it for yourself.
So that is the opposite from what anyone working in production wants.

So you end up realising you're better off doing the thing yourself instead of trying forever or promising that "maybe" you'll get a drat simple little change you're being asked, because there isn't a drat input that allows you to get exactly what you want.

So this is, to me, nothing but a shiny and fun gimmick to use at home for entertainment.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

BonoMan posted:

I'm not sure that quote is saying much of anything. Yes we all know they're trained on models and that limits spontaneous results, but I don't think that's the threat.

First the quality of temporal stability here is the "oh poo poo" moment for me. That's huge. After that I think what you're going to end up seeing, eventually, as the end use-case is sort of a guided content creation. You give it rough shapes, or a rough phone-shot sequence and use that to guide your AI output. Then that *will* allow you to start getting exactly what you want. Sort of a Wonder Studio style approach. "Shoot your sequence on a phone and then we can replace the elements with the click of a button." Like... this C4D renderer Airen4D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q64ATr8mfzU

Text prompts + visually guided approach.

Could be, could be. I'll probably be a skeptic until suddenly studios downsize a whole bunch due to AI. But honestly if AI is able to accomplish what people fear it could, I expect things to go this way- my job is outsourced to India in a few years, then AI gets good enough a few years later, then the Indian guys lose their jobs too. Outsourcing is a much bigger near term threat to my role and labor arbitrage isn't a magic technology with trillions of new datacenter investments behind it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I guess I won't need to imagine very long how long it will take AI to make or break certain industries because of the amount of investment its getting and how much CEOs are salivating over it. I'm used to annoying tech hype being nothing but bluster, but occasionally a piece of tech will come along that will really amaze me. I was on one film where we had to match faces to actors exactly using facial action coding system rigs and so for months it was animators laboriously matching every motion on the actors faces and then cfx artists coming in a doing shot sculpt to match bits that the rig couldn't hit. Then at some point that was getting so costly that they introduced a tool that just automated it. Completely automated it. Everyone could go back to focusing on body mechanics and their other tasks instead of dealing with the faces anymore. It was incredible. It happened in like the last 2 months of the project when things were super super crazy.

Then a couple years later i was on a project that needed that exact same thing at the same company. And I asked if anyone knew about that tool. But apparently the developers left and the tool was discontinued and there wasn't enough documentation for anyone else to pick it up. So we went back to matching by hand....

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

cubicle gangster posted:

Thats definitely a thing but I was talking about people using creative work as an escape. I think there's a generational shift where the modern gen want to make something cool and do music videos for marshmellow, but I came from an era where we were just not very well socially adjusted and used our time in front of a computer to escape from real life. Theres a patience and pace to people who came to this industry as an escape vs those that were sold it as a way to do super cool poo poo for a living. We all wanted to do super cool poo poo for a living but there was a different level of ego to it. We were thankful to be in the room, in awe of all opportunity

I mean, I like the meditative aspect of it but you really only get that after enough time in the industry. Most people start on lower budget projects that has a huge "get the poo poo out the door" mentality, and then after enough experience might move to a studio with bigger budget projects that actually give some time. My career went from having to churn out 3 shots a day in tv to sometimes spending days polishing fingers in vfx. But that was only after lots of tv productions and then on vfx projects that had the "get poo poo out the door" mentality until after a couple years finally landing on a project that had a good schedule.

As for Unreal Engine's new pricing, that sucks. Tons of tv animation studios rebuilt their pipeline around Unreal with the thought that although hiring Unreal developers and training their whole crew on lighting in Unreal was an expensive upfront cost, they would save on licenses and render times. Now they'll really only save on render times, and end up with worse quality than if they had stuck with a traditional rendering engine.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

German VFX facility RISE just posted this "press release" on linkedIn which I'm 90% sure is an April Fools prank, but almost indecipherable from real AI promoters:

quote:

"REMIX AI will allow RISE to massively reduce production costs on state-of-the-art visual effects for feature film and episodic content by harnessing the power of data that is "publicly available".
RISE CTO and generative AI evangelist Robert Pinnow says "Years ago, we started replacing stunt performers faces using DeepFakes. Naively we thought we were legally constrained to only teaching the AI datasets of the principal cast shot specifically for that reason, something the actors had agreed to in their contracts on that particular show."
But as months went by and former non-profit startups like OpenAI were valued at 80 Billion USD "we learned that, since the AI is being creatively inspired like a human and not directly copying content, we could obviously throw any available bit of footage at it without having to feel guilty."
RISE, currently work place for over 400 creatives, could soon be able cut its payroll by more than 80%. "A dream come true" adds co-founder and CFO Sven Pannicke, "Our operating costs on VFX work have been 70-80% payroll, not even taking extra employee benefits like free gym memberships, bicycle leasing, health insurance and fruit baskets into account."
The backend of REMIX AI is a rapid footage download and ingestion software called HARVEST. It scans the internet for images and videos that are publicly available while not logging where it got the data from.
"We're not really interested in where our "inspiration" comes from and we'd rather not know too much about it in case legislation changes" says RISE CCO Markus Degen, continuing “Nobody seems to care about the consequences anyway, everyone seems to be more intrigued than concerned.”

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Slothful Bong posted:

Lmao that may be a joke, but exactly that happened at a studio I worked at last year. They decided to go all in with ML/AI stuff, and laid off the entire CG department (I think like 20 people total) while we were in the middle of multiple shows.

So yeah, someone may find that funny but that shits already happening for real.

What, like full vfx for tv and movies type shows? I wasn't aware AI was at a place where it could conceivably meet client demands to do that.

Do you mind me asking which studio was it?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If it's a Toronto studio, I think I know who it is. But who knows. There's so many medium sized vfx companies. I haven't seen any of the big guys like Framestore, ILM, Weta, or DNEG say anything major about AI. And maybe the mid sized companies are selling their investors on the idea of "we're nimble, our pipelines can adapt to AI faster than the big guys!"

Anyway I hope that company burns all their bridges with clients by delivering bad work and learns their lesson.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Colleagues at work were just talking about this last friday as there was a townhall with our CTO where he was celebrating how AI combined with the Omniverse will transform what we do. But then I actually talk to the software devs working on this stuff and they're like "oh yeah, well vfx companies right now have no money so maybe we'll be able to integrate some AI into some departments in 5 years, and Omniverse requires a USD pipeline, which we're not sure we'll ever be able to transition to," and so...

This is a very legacy vfx company though. Maybe a new vfx company with no debt and a giant infusion of irrationally exuberant investor capital could get a pipeline full of AI tech and Omniverse USD interactive workflows off the ground?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The fact that no one makes money on vfx is what probably exhausts me the most. But it's been amped up to 11 in the past 6 months as studios stop winning projects and have to somehow afford upkeep with only the current shows. More than just deadlines, the fact that everything is always a push for approvals as fast as possible just so they can get than next payment and keep the ship afloat. Like its not about working on a shot to get it to the point that we say "yes, this is good, the client will really like this," it's more like "alright, we gotta get something out, just send it, maybe they'll approve it and we can afford to keep someone for one more week." And if quota gets missed, well, then they have to let someone go because they just don't have the bank balance anymore.