Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Hey 3d thread I have a question,

I do 2d illustration professionally, but beyond trying my hand at making some boxes I have pretty much no experience doing 3d art. I want to be able to make realistic-ish 3d character portraits to a sorta respectable standard. Is this a feasible goal for me to accomplish at least mostly over the course of this summer, or is it something I should be expecting to dedicate years to before I can come out with anything I could actually use?

Corollary, I have access to Maya and am at least a little bit familiar with it, anyone know good tutorials? Particularly for what I wanna do would be great, but really anything.

If I can get off the ground it's something I expect to be refining a lot here and there over the coming years, it's not like I'm expecting to make movie studio quality assets after just 4 months, but I really only have this time to dedicate to the initial overhead.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Cool, thanks guys. Is it fairly simple to swap out a (parts of?) a project between various programs then?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Anyone used / would recommend one of the Houdini courses on Gnomon or the like? I'll be totally new to it (I'm proficient with Blender though and comfortable with python, which it looks like it uses?) and want to get into it the right way.

Alternatively, any other ways those of you that use it started out?

Koramei fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 24, 2020

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Thanks for the Houdini tutorial suggestions, guys!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Some of the most talented artists I know have leapt onto Midjourney for use as concept references, and sometimes a bit more than that when there's a time crunch.

Generally on the down low though since there's such a stigma around it. I do agree that the people championing AI art as and ends unto itself seem to be a different crowd though

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Not entirely wrong there, although i highly doubt it’ll ever get found out, at least the use cases I’ve seen.
Just very much disagreeing with the notion using the tools implies a lack of talent. The artists I know using it that way could draw all of this and better (and have, many times), but it’s such a timesaver and useful ideation tool that they took to it quickly.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I think there's still going to be plenty of creative roles, but the artists sticking their heads in the sand thinking it's just going to pass by are going to be in for a rude awakening. IMO it's a very adapt or die moment right now and probably will be for a good few years, aside from a lucky minority of artists that can cruise on star power.
3D generation still isn't there yet but it's getting notably better, and who the hell knows what's going to happen once if you get AI to create a video for 3D capture with Gaussian splatting and generates based on that or whatever.

Jenny Agutter posted:

lol watch the legs and hands of the walking woman in the first sample

On a 5 year timeline that's inconsequential. Look where Dall-e was just like a year and a half ago.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Anyone have tips to share / preferred tools / favorite tutorials for unwrapping?

I just use Blender with the UV Squares (for evenly aligning to a grid) and Texel Density (unifying sizes) addons. I can do better than the auto unwrappers I've used but I'd hardly call my skills boastworthy, but this is a topic that seems to come up in CG circles sometimes so I've always been kind of curious what noteworthily special UV unwrapping ends up looking like.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

A quick googling turns up accusations of alt-right viewpoints, homophobia, support of fascism, etc...but it's entirely discussion about the controversy, I wasn't able to find actual substance with 2 minutes of research.

There was a minor storm of stuff a couple of years back that I followed vaguely... as I recall there was nothing individually insane (unlike Blender Bros, holy poo poo) but a whole lot of the sorts of remarks that might have been passable on SA back in 2002 but feel pretty at odds with someone that's one of the main faces of the usually welcoming Blender community.

Beyond that what kind of did him in for me was an open recruiting call for AAA-quality modelers for his company where he was proudly offering minimum wage as the compensation. I followed a lot of his stuff pretty actively for a while (his podcast interviewing various top artists is unfortunately a really good resource) and I think accusations of fascism or being alt-right are hyperbolic, but he does come off as a little bit of a dipshit.

dopesilly posted:

I keep trying to get into Blender but despite mastering ZBrush/Max/Maya that's apparently not enough to get around it's clunky rear end UI/UX experience. Seriously this keyboard shortcut poo poo is worse than anything ZBrush did. You really gonna try to tie every functionality to the letter key it starts with in the English language? I don't wanna look at my fuckin keyboard for every function Blender, why can't you just be contextual and make logical sense based on what I click on? Just venting about my disdain for learning it, because it doesn't feel any more or less intuitive compared to when I tried it 8+ years ago.

I'd rather have Maya crash daily at least then I can keep my hand on the left side of my keyboard and not pay attention. Hell, even ZBrush maintains that mentality. For every good feature I see come out of Blender and it's community, there's 10 other things I have an issue with for a production workflow.

I mean, it's just muscle memory like any other program, I don't spend any time actively thinking about what keys I'm using. I agree it was a weird choice (and Blender's founder is peculiarly stubborn sometimes) and frustrating at first coming from the industry standard, but the keys aren't any more awkwardly placed -- the main ones are all on the left side within finger's reach. If I were having to use a modeling program like Maya with functionality similar enough to get confusing regularly it might be different, but I never have any issues switching between Blender/Unity/Substance and so on and my hands remembering where to be.
Also what's wrong with the UI? Since they overhauled it in v2.8 back in 2019 Blender's UI is just fine. I never did enough Maya/Max to compare but I like it a heck of a lot better than ZBrush's abomination, and it's lightning fast compared to Unity or basically anything Adobe puts out.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
When I started modeling I used Maya for about 6 months before switching to Blender -- at this point for the most part I don't remember enough to offer a fair comparison, and was middling at best in any case -- but it's funny that you Maya users are talking up the contextual menu, because Blender's hotkey-first approach is one thing I actually do recall finding works way better. It's a lot to get a handle on at first sure, but once I got the muscle memory down I was finding myself modeling way quicker in Blender than I could with Maya. A keystroke is just faster than any mouse movement. Blender has rose menus for a few functions but I find I don't use them; it's quicker to just use a hotkey.

And with the exception of occasionally-used functions (e.g. there is a way of selecting every other face, but via numpad) which you could still always rebind to quick favorites or a different key, everything is within a key or two of WASD.

Functionality complaints I totally accept, especially when you're used to a particular workflow. IMO it more than makes up for it in other areas and plugins fill in a lot of holes too, but as a pure modeling tool Blender's still definitely lacking some stuff compared to Maya/Max. But sorry, the hotkey/UI complaints just sound like they're coming from a place of ignorance.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Anyone tried using Cascadeur?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
They'll be eaten alive if they don't. Small teams can already compete with what it took a medium-large team to do 5-10 years ago. Small teams with AI and some funding could almost certainly compete with what it takes a medium sized traditional studio to do today.

With some corners cut sure, but probably in places the consumers would barely notice.

As for feelings of pessimism, I feel like part of the way to go is for stylization, at least in the medium term. Your life as a prop modeler, where it wasn't already gutted by outsourcing, is dead in the very near future. As a shader artist though you can do lots of things that AI trainers at least probably won't be prioritizing competing with for a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I'm really interested in your perspective with your background in photogrammetry. With how advanced that's been getting particularly with 3D gaussian splatting and such just literally the past 6 months or so, I've been feeling like it's basically game over once it's actually editable and usable in a regular workflow, which can't be that far off. Use AI video gen to create a perfectly lit turnaround of any asset, then just use the already tested workflow to turn that video into 3D. Boom, you're basically done.

In my head this sounds watertight and like the doom of all of us but then I've mostly only approached scanning and the like in my spare time as a hobbyist rather than for actual production.