Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

How do I fix the lighting in this? I am loving horrible at lighting and have no loving clue what to do. I'm going to be removing those lamps because I think they're distracting so disregard those. Also, an ambient occlusion of this comes out entirely black, why? :( (Figured it out, because I had a box around the whole room. That's bizzare. Oh well)

I'm trying to go for this kind of look:

Remove reflections (or tone them down to like 1%), greatly reduce specular and use specular maps, so you only get it where needed. Add better noise to to everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ACanofPepsi posted:

Now that they're done can you give a hint about what the two projects were? Were they unannounced projects, or something we've already seen teaser trailers for? Just curious how far along a project can get before the rug is pulled out from a big company like R&H.

The show that caused the biggest problem was Snow white, as it apparently destroyed their cash flow. Why it got pulled, I don't know.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I doubt that R&H is 'done'. Unlike DD, it sounds like R&H was reasonably healthy, but ran into a cash shortage that it could not cover when 2 shows got pulled.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

SVU Fan posted:

It seems like this has been happening to a lot of VFX houses. Is it different for games?

Also, arch viz and product development (toy companies, whatever else) is much more stable and with nicer conditions to boot, in my opinion.

Well, it's not really comparable industries. The problem is that I can't really think of anything else I would *want* to do. Games, maybe.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

keyframe posted:

I am in Vancouver and need a job. Know anyone looking for animators? :(

Despite all the work happening in VanCity, there's still very little creature work going on....Now, if you were to be a FX TD, OTOH...

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Illuminti posted:

Best idea I heard was refusing to work overtime (for free), for a month or something, a big tentpole film will have to get delayed to achieve anything. I'm glad I left film and do commercials now, I'll see your Life of Pi and raise you an advert about cheese and a life!

I don't do OT for free and as far as I know, neither does any of my friends and ex-colleagues at any of the major VFX houses in NA. (London is a different story), so I honestly don't think it'll have any real effect.

The problem with any kind of labour with-holding action is that you will primarily hurt your employer, who will then get penalized by the studio.
For this to have any kind of real effect, we are talking a completely withdrawal of labour for 4+ weeks, *globally* and then the studios might start hurting.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hmmm, strike action will count as force majeure (just checked), so in theory the VFX companies can't get penalized by the studios if the workers go on strike.....

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

cubicle gangster posted:

Really? I don't know anyone who works in advertising who's been let go because a job ended - most people I know in that industry have been at the same place for between 3 and 5 years. Any they love the fact that one week they're on set/tracking then the next doing cloth sims then the next doing modeling & lighting etc.

Most commercial houses only want full time staff too, the vast majority refuse to work with freelancers. Every senior person i've spoke to has nothing but horror stories about working with them to the point where I've make a habit of asking if they have any when I meet one.

Before I moved into features, I spent some 6 years in commercials (In London), both as staff and as freelance. I'd develop relationships with 3-4 different shops and that would usually keep me busy. Jobs varied from 3 days to 3 months and once place I worked on back-to-back projects for 9 months or so. The thing is, as a freelance, you are usually given the crappy jobs.
I found commercials way more stressful. You have very little room for experimenting with techniques/technology and all-nighters were far more frequent, because with the shorter turn-around, you had less time to recover from mistakes/bad decisions.

As for horror stories, everybody got them. Be it about freelancers, clients, bosses, co-workers.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

cubicle gangster posted:

I wasn't suggesting it as a freelancer, what's wrong with going full time?

Oh nothing!. Sweet gig if you can get it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ccs posted:

Is it specifically bad just in California or is there a major downturn for VFX everywhere in North America?
Sorry to hear about the tough times. VFX has had a rough year.

Lots of work in Vancouver and Montreal is kicking off with several studios opening up there.
I'm still getting odd contact from LA, so there's still work to be found, although as always, experience is king.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The rust textures on the raised railway are pretty good.
Where it really fails is the lack of shadows. Even if you didn't have the resources to render the whole sequence, a couple of key frames with proper shadows,normal maps and occlusion could have show what you intended it to look like. Now, this will just get tossed in the bin straight away.

If I have a (FX) shot I really want approved,I always render the characters/environments with occlusion (fake or real,doesn't matter too much for that purpose). Making your work pleasant to look at (even it its irrelevant for the task at hand), gives a much more positive impression.
This is for working with people I already know and who already know my abilities and for what often is technical tasks that will be textured/rendered/comped by other people down the pipeline.
You are trying to sell your work to people who don't know you and assume that you have very little ability. (That is the default assumption for someone who's straight out of school).
Good enough simply isn't. It has to be the best you can do...otherwise you don't stand a chance.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Geared Hub posted:

The problem is [directed at the thread, not so much at the banned goon] when you reach the skill level where you have open doors all over the place, you tend to have things like a family or a house, so you usually get situated in one location, which is in the past, fine if its a big media center like LA, Bay Area, etc.

That is a very LA-centric viewpoint. Most of my non-US colleagues have lived in London, Sydney, Wellington, LA, SF, Vancouver, you name it.

I've done Denmark, London, Wellington, London, Vancouver and I'll probably move 2-3 more times before packing it in. As far as I'm concerned that has always been the nature of the industry, but a lot of people in LA have never really experienced that, so I can see why it sucks for them, but frankly...welcome to the club.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Geared Hub posted:

Meanwhile things aren't looking as hot in India as it used to be:

http://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com/2013/05/20/animation-fraud-in-india/#more-3505

Not news really. Just look at the amount of really crap job applications from people out the Indian schools. Many of the reels are astonishingly bad, yet they're carefully compiled with walk-thru's of the various elements...and frankly, the situation isn't much better here in the '1st' world. Most colleges will have a '3D <something> course', which is a complete waste of money and time.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hazed_blue posted:

Anyone here have experience with 3D printers and the like? Our EP would like to do a test print of a model that I did, but we're having... trouble preparing the model properly.

Does the model have to be watertight, no matter what?
Is there an exporter out there that can properly interpret T-junctions and intersecting elements?
What's the best resolution (polygon-wise) to work with?
Is it better to simply print off a complex model in chunks and then assemble it after printing?

We're all sort of in the dark when it comes to best practices on this one.

Try this thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365193

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Frankenfinger posted:

"People" "Training" - these are not words I understand. Seriously I'm one of four guys in our entire department, one of the two who actually does 3D viz in said department, plus our intern who won't be here forever. Word has come from our creative director that this is what we "need" to provide. I have to find a solution that I can pick up and implement in four weeks. I don't get the option to say no.

The good news is the space is remarkably small, think convenient store size. I just need the application that gives me the smallest learning curve. I haven't touched Unity, but UDK is a nightmare to work with coming from straight 3DS Max.

Would Lumion suffice?.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

We check references by default...and showing non-public work is a big no-no, at least when it comes to yet-to-be-released projects.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It's easy to find animators. Maybe not good ones, but you can always find decent animators
It's very hard to find FX TDs....even decent ones.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

International Log posted:

Are you pondering what i'm pondering? :crossarms:

Also, here is a render:

2 days, Vray, Photoshop. My colleagues say the woman looks like a hunched-over old lady?

Unless you look closely, she does look like a hunched-over lady.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

International Log posted:

Are you pondering what i'm pondering? :crossarms:

Also, here is a render:

2 days, Vray, Photoshop. My colleagues say the woman looks like a hunched-over old lady?

Unless you look closely, she does look like a hunched-over lady.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ccs posted:

So...what are they talking about? I've done face rigging and it seems to me that Disney and Pixar use very cutting edge techniques. This person seems to be mistaking artistic choices for lapses in technical know-how. What are these rigging workflow differences between Disney and Blue Sky?
Also I'm wondering what the topology differences are. Are they referring to using displacement maps instead of modeling something in, or what?
Most likely someone who couldn't hack it in the industry..

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Big K of Justice posted:

If that's her actual art on that site than she's a good artist at least but in commerial art you are getting paid often times to do someone elses vision even if it goes against what you think is good..

I remember one junior animator quitting because the client didn't approve his animation :).
Similarly when I moved to a studio that previously had done a lot of TV work and a lot of their staff were used to getting their work approved with very few changes on said work. Some of them had a torrid time getting used to the 'process' of doing feature work. One guy in particular, refused to do changes that he didn't get a sufficiently convincing explanation for.
It takes a very special mindset to maintain creative thought and individuality in the feature film process and a lot of people get disillusioned with the whole thing. There's certainly room for individuality and ego, but you really have to pick your battles.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Torabi posted:

Annoying as hell to swap back and forth just to select something close to what I had selected. But I guess it will have to do. Some script that makes q toggle between select and whatever you had previously but still, it doesn't make any sense to me as to why it is like this.

QWER.This will let you switch between selection and the various transform controls. Shift-WER will let you set keyframes.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

BonoMan posted:

I've never used it, but Andrew Kramer at Video Copilot seems to like it a lot. Seems maybe marginally more intuitive than Fluids from what I can tell.

I'm learning Fluids right now and ...goddamn they do not make it easy. Also most online resources for learning it blow.

Since Maya's FX sucks donkeys ball, it can only be better.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

BurtLington posted:

It's a real shame there isn't much online documentation for Houdini. I did a six week course in it a year ago but it was very much the basics of everything. Some in-depth destruction workflows would be great, does anyone know some good places to learn? Digital Tutors have a pretty good shattering one but most of the other Houdini tutorials are out of date.

Destruction is very straight forward. Chop stuff up. Do rigids setup/simulation. The only (big) company that does it differently is MPC with their Maya/Kali toolset.

sigma 6 posted:

Recently, I was told that the big studios are not using separate render passes as much or at all. Can anyone confirm this?

I can confirm that it's not true.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

sigma 6 posted:

In regards to the renderpass thing.
The guy who told me has worked on over 30 movies... most of them big budget.

Well, he's still wrong. Big studios still uses render-passes.

As for the comment about 'the better the beauty pass', well, doh!. It's just that rendering is *very* resource heavy and compositing isn't.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Skilbs posted:

I am waiting to hear a date and time for an interview at MPC for a cloth TD role, this is my first proper interview for a VFX job. Does anyone have any tips? I currently feel like I am just waiting until they find out that I have bumbled through all the cloth work I have done previously and most of it worked accidentally.

"Yes, I love working overtime and not getting paid!"

Jaded-ness aside, express willingness to learn, be confident in what you have done before and don't make any excuses.
MPC can be a great place to learn and grow, but the pace can be unrelenting, more so for a junior artist who can't afford to say no.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

BonoMan posted:

Do you guys have any good techniques for objects through a scene for some CG enhancement/replacement.

I've done camera solves before, but now I have a plate of a girl with a hole in her stomach who turns to face the camera and I'd like to add in a side wall to the hole. I'd rather not try to track the whole thing by hand. It's only 100 frames. Camera is locked off. Would I reverse engineer it of sorts? ... Track her as if a camera was rotating around her and in reality the camera moves instead of the object? I'm tired and it's breaking my brain!

At worst, it's a couple of hours of work tracking it in.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

BurtLington posted:

For all you Houdini experts - I'm trying my hand at a very large and ambitious destruction project where I destroy Big Ben with something like a small meteor. Here is a short test of what I have so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVHg3TRMILU

For now I'm concentrating on the destruction of the main tower, so ignore the messy destruction of the clock part. I'm using Bullet and voronoi to destroy Big Ben. I plan to crash a helicopter or something into it eventually, but for now I'm just using a ball.

I've got a fracture that I'm satisfied with - using a paint and point sop to add more detailed fractures where the object will impact. My problem is that bullet seems a bit too explosive and launches bits of the tower everywhere. I'm trying to balance the density of the object with the scale so it's a bit less explosive from the impact. I've turned off Buoyancy and added some friction, but it's not quite there yet. Is this the right way to go about it or am I missing something?

When you are fracturing you need to consider how the structure is built and how it will react to forces. At the moment, everything is fractured with the same (obvious) voronoi pattern and way too low resolution. Also, if you hit a tower like that in the middle, it's unlikely that the top will completely crumple and it very much looks like the whole thing fracture at once rather than a progressive destruction.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Canned Bovines posted:

I've just been made the designated cloth guy at work. I know nothing about cloth. Does anyone have some good resources on the basic theory? We're using a proprietary system for it and I'm having some trouble sifting through the piles of "Here's what the options in MAX/Maya/Blender do" tutorials out there for useful information.

Usually it's just spring-based systems, so there's nothing really special to it.
Level of control will depend on the system, but the real key lies in good cloth simulation meshes.
After that, it's establishing how many layers you can run (efficiently) at a time and how much control you can get with pre & post shape tools.
I haven't really done cloth in anger for nearly 10 years and back then *cough*,we didn't have a lot of the post-shape tools many places have now.

I'm curious how you end up with a proprietary system without anyone telling you how to use it :)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

pastorrich posted:

I have a question for you guys if that's alright. I was in school to become a game designer, but I quit because of personal issues and now I'm trying to find something to make a living of. I still like the video game industry, so I thought about becoming a self-taught 3D modeler and part-time painter.

I got enough money to last about a year, and I'm looking for something creative and pertinent to put a lot of time and effort in. Learning and then doing freelance 3D while painting on the side would be a dream come true. Is a year's worth of lynda tutorials and practice at 30-40 hours a week enough to achieve a decent portfolio and land me gigs before I run out of money?

I'm very interested in the modeling and texturing part of 3D. I know this is a complicated question but I consider myself artistically capable and I'm a fast learner when I apply myself. Is this doable or am I completely out of my element?

How good are you at working to a brief? Deadlines? Putting up with changes, even if you disagree with them? (How big/frail is your ego?).
Then there's the technical issues as well.
There's a lot more to working in 3D than being artistically capable.

I also think it has become a lot harder to get into the industry without some sort of schooling, but if you have the right combination of talents and a stackload of perseverance, it's not impossible....but you wont find out until you try.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ccs posted:

On the subject of cloth sims, I'm putting an ncloth jacket on a character, but at certain times the character's arm is going to intersect the body. Is that going to cause the cloth underneath the arms to flip the gently caress out? Or is there a way of telling it to be cool in that area when that happens. Maybe an input mesh attract or something?

What I used to do, was turning the character mesh into a nCloth mesh, enabling input attract, except in the areas where it would intersect . So typically I would paint out armpit and elbows and control the amount of gap I need with the collision distance. This would leave enough of a gap for the clothing. This means running the sim in layers, but the skin is fairly quick to run.

Alternatively you can disable collisions (on a per-vertex basis) in the trouble areas, but I would found that it would cause issues when for instance the character would raise it's arms high and you would now get the non-colliding area intersecting with the mesh.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Softimage XSI was lost when they released it. I was a beta tester (and long time Softimage user) and everyone on the beta-mailing list went 'WTF?!?.' when they announced they were going gold.
That little move caused so many people to move to Maya. I was 50/50 at that stage and as much as I loved what they were doing, it was just useless for production. You had to model in Softimage and then use a converter to bring them into XSI. Rendering was barebones too, with Mental Ray being too in-efficient to use in production. A friend of mine ran a small 3D studio and he had been heavily involved in the beta and was one of the first to try to complete a project in XSI and XSI ended up having 4 guys in his office for like a month to complete a relatively basic commercial.
The final nail in the coffin was Autodesk buying it. With largely the same type of customer base as Maya, why should they keep supporting it?

The problem is that there's no real alternatives. Maya is sucking rear end now and is now mainly functioning as a hub for 3rd party tools and really needs to be completely overhauled, but that does not appear to be coming any time soon.
Houdini, whilst developing at a rapid pace, is still mostly a TD tool. I guess the only real hope is Modo, which I've yet to play with.

Anyway..RIP Softimage. It was the software I started with 20+ years ago and the industry has come a long way since then.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ccs posted:

How does Maya need to be overhauled? It's the only major 3D package I've used but I like it, but also want to hear what could be improved.

Badly outdated UI/workflow. Clunky mix of mel/python (Don't get me started on the expression editor). Mostly useless fluid-system. Mostly useless RBD system. nCloth that is poorly integrated. A function curve editor that was always behind what SoftImage/XSI had.
I now mostly use the in-house software, but even in previous companies Maya was mostly used as a container for 3rd party tools that actually did the work.
Houdini got the right idea with it's node based system. They just need to make the modelling/animation/rendering side of it more accessible for non-TD's.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

You never use the UI??

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Both MPC and Framestore are hiring in Montreal. I know MPC is trying to convince people from Vancouver to move that way,

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Jewel posted:

I don't know much more than the basics, but isn't the fix for gimbal lock just to use quaternions? What's the holdup exactly?

That Maya ages ago, decided that calculating quarternions for orient constraints was too processor heavy and despite the great increase in CPU power since then, still hasn't added them in.
I'm 99% certain that the custom built maya version we had at Weta in 2003/4 used quarternions in the orient constraints and it caused me no end of trouble when I went to a different company afterwards. (And support refused to acknowledge that there was anything wrong with baked rotations flipping).
Since then, we've just added a euler filter process to every post-animation release task.

It's been a few years since I had to deal with this, so it may all have changed...

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

mutata posted:

Yeah, they'll have a job until something changes and the subsidies go away and Hollywood just turns even more to overseas production. Unsustainable is the industry that relies entirely on handouts. :(

It's worked well for Vancouver, though. I moved here before it was really a *thing* and I was seriously expecting to end up doing TV work, but instead ended up doing the same quality of work as I was doing in London. The talent and infrastructure has exploded and there's a lot more Canadians now working in the industry, whereas when I first moved here, it was only the token one or two per department. It's taken a good 5 years to get to that level and we're still struggling to find good enough people, so it's all well and good for Quebec to offer better incentives, but if they can't get the people to do the work, then it's a non-starter.
If the rumours are right, that was also one of the reasons that Prime Focus moved most of the Hercules work to London: They simply couldnt hire enough (quality) people in Vancouver.
Having said that, I do expect to move once or twice more before 'retiring', but then that's how the industry has always been for me and frankly, I don't have much sympathy for the people in LA refusing to move.
In the end, it's still a well-paid job and more and more of the companies are offering decent benefits, something that was non-existant 10 years ago (at least outside California).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

FWIW, there's no shortage of animators (in Vancouver).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Odddzy posted:

While we are on the subject of python. What are good resources for learning python for vfx?

There's no real special 'vfx python' aside from the package specific commands/modules.
Most of the work is going to be sorting data and to lesser extent, building UIs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

uglynoodles posted:

I'm personally really frustrated with my Game Art course I'm on right now and their refusal to teach anything other than 3DSMax.
I'm much better with Maya. For some reason I just can't get my head around Max. I know people swear by it and that it is a powerful program but I keep trying, and keep getting stuck on stuff I know how to do in Maya, and being angry at myself and the program. I don't know why. I just don't like it and after forcing myself all through this year to try and use it, the only work I've managed to get done has been when I threw my hands up and did it in Maya to avoid missing deadlines. As a result the quality of my work has suffered and I feel like a stupid dick who can't learn anything on top of that. It's also doubly frustrating to be paying money for a university course that I don't feel is teaching me what I want to learn.
I want to learn Maya and Zbrush in a professional tutor environment as there's only so much I'm getting from watching Youtube or buying tutorials (which I am doing.)

Does anyone know of good places that teach Zbrush online? Digitaltutors is unfortunately too expensive for me given I'm already in university, for what I'm afraid will be more of the same, (Watching tutorials without feedback) but I might be able to rustle up a few hundred dollars for a course.

So, what will you do when you finish and get a job in a place that uses Max?