Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Listerine posted:

Is this a scam in some way? Wondering if any of you have heard of something similar going around in online art tutorial circles.

Best option would be to ask Skillshare how it happened, since any site like that should be sending a verification email before you can start a course.

Alternatively, reset the password and assume their identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You don't need a big one for working with - I have the Huion Inspiroy H430P and it does the job just fine, and is also cheap as poo poo.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Huh, well that's interesting. I did a few of his tutorials last year and was just beginning to pick them up again to try and start the new year productively, but I'll check those out instead. I did notice some of his comments in his videos seemed like he was probably a bit politically naive, I didn't know the extent of it though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Scalpers and cryptofuckers have been the bane of my life this past year and I wish complete financial ruin and misery on all of them.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's like people buying "lordships" in the UK, which are also completely meaningless.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I have one feed for dumb funny poo poo and one for following artists, and the only reason I need one for artists is because despite knowing that Twitter is completely unsuitable as an art gallery, people upload there exclusively anyway. If they have an Instagram or whatever, I'll follow there instead.

It really pisses me off that people use Twitter as an art site. Like I get that you can pick up a lot of followers there and keep a social presence, that's fine, but using it as your sole upload site, when any upload will inevitably be lost to time as it gets buried by tweets, until even a modern browser crashes attempting to reach the end of the feed? You might as well hang a sign on yourself saying "I have no respect for my work, it's completely disposable, I literally don't care enough to make it discoverable". Even Tumblr had some ability to display images as a series of dense thumbnails.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 12, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

500 posted:

drat, I used to really like Twitter as an art-sharing platform, purely because it made artists more discoverable. I don't know of any other site where you can have basically no followers, have someone retweet your work, and then suddenly you've got thousands of people on your page and you're finding other artists and communities that you didn't even know existed (maybe Tumblr worked the same way? I'm not sure).

How does discovering artists work on instagram? Do artists basically have to add a bunch of hashtags to each post and hope that people stumble across their work through searching those specific hashtags? Or is there another option I'm missing? I agree that the photo gallery layout is superior for browsing a person's work, I just don't understand the accepted method for finding new artists on there.

Instagram is surprisingly good at recommending accounts based on activity, but I have no idea about the social aspect, I really only use it to follow galleries, same as I would deviantart or whatever.

Using Twitter as a discovery and networking tool works fine, using it as your sole portfolio or gallery site is just madness. There is no gallery view, no way to sort by old tweets first, you just have to get a cup of coffee and hold down the Page Down key until it's scrolled through 1000, sometimes over 2000 tweets to get to the oldest content, assuming it doesn't crash your browser first.

When you upload, you aren't adding another picture to a gallery, you're throwing it on a pile where it will gradually get completely buried, functionally forever. And people constantly talk about how they get more or less engagement at different times of the day, which means that most people are following too many feeds to actually keep up with and are having to just look at whatever the latest tweets on their feed are, so a lot of those fans are missing your content constantly anyway.

It's a fine way to discover people, but it's a *terrible* art site, possibly the worst format anyone has yet thought of, and it is baffling how many people exclusively upload there. Like, just make a deviantart page or wherever, turn off comments and dump your stuff on there, then put a link to it on Twitter.

E: I am aware that I am getting entirely too mad about Twitter, but in fairness it does suck rear end.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 13, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Does anyone know if there's a good sculpting app for Android? I'm not expecting much from it, basically I just want the 3D equivalent of a sketch app - I've started to properly explore sculpting in Blender and I've taken to it like a fish to water, so when I go to see the parents over Christmas I'd like to keep that momentum going.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's because of the 3D object viewer they added a few years ago, trying to get in early on what they probably assumed would be the 3D printing craze. But if you need that functionality then hey, it does actually have a use!

the_lion posted:

Give Nomad sculpt a go. The trial only allows one undo state, but it looks pretty handy. I had a fool around with it a while ago.

I'll give that a look, thanks.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

People working on a tablet monitor, what are your tips for arm strain? I was noodling at a model for a couple of hours and I'm really feeling it this morning. I have a small non-display pen tablet that I might try instead as I used the monitor primarily for illustration, but it would be a shame to shelve it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They did a total revamp of the UI for 2.8 and it really seemed to light a fire under them, it just keeps getting better.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

On that subject, can anyone recommend good resources, users, communities, etc. for character creation and animation specifically? I'm beyond Blender basics now and I want to focus on that 100%. Doesn't necessarily need to be Blender focused, I can find out how to do specific things in Blender by myself.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'll have to give that a go, I need a streaming solution myself for various things. Remote Desktop is designed for office work and really isn't great for anything involving motion in my experience, and Steam streaming is great for Steam games and literally nothing else.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Depends, what exactly happens when you try to open it in Substance Painter? Can it see the file at all, does it throw up an error message?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Even in a perfect scenario AI only serves to make art more accessible (which is good!) but doesn't actually negate any of the hard work. In fact I'm not sure there's any technology that ever will.

What's actually the perfect scenario here? Something where you can feed in a detailed description of what you want and have it turn it out for you exactly? We already have those, they're called artists. AI can currently turn out work in an instant, but it's entirely generic and of no more use than trawling Google for free images is already for commercial work, because a short descriptive phrase has like a ten million to one chance of actually giving you specifically what you need.

So let's say the AI is flawless, perfectly in sync with what you want, and we have perfected voice recognition so you can spitball ideas at it. "I need a fantasy knight", you say, and lo it spits out.... literally ten billion possibilities, because that's such a generic request that what else can it do? So you start describing more. And more, and more, because there's a million elements to any picture - the tone, the setting, the composition. What exactly is this person wearing? What materials, what condition, what little details are in there? What jewellery and fashion do they have? And you have to get it right, because you probably need to make other characters and images that match the style. Hell, imagine describing how you want symbolism and iconography to look in this world of yours. Even with perfect comprehension, that one's almost certainly quicker to sketch out than to describe, no matter what technology you use!

So you describe and describe, you correct it and inform it and dig into every little detail, because that's where the artistry of a piece lies... And suddenly it's a hundred plus hours later, and although the tools are more accessible, you haven't saved any time on the actual production. And we KNOW that these kind of details are important, because there's plenty of highly detailed art that misses the fundamentals of an engaging piece that no-one gives a poo poo about, and webcomics and illustrations that are barely more than scrawls, but have huge fan followings because the details that ARE there feel spot-on, deliberate and fully mesh with each other.

AI could actually be an incredible accessibility tool, so I'm pretty excited for the possibilities of it. But even in some utopian Star Trek future where you can walk into a holodeck and talk out your perfect creation and grab and pose things directly, how is it supposed to take away the actual time, effort and understanding that makes something worthwhile? What technology ever could? Genuine question. Because no-one seriously cares about AI art creations outside of the novelty, and it's not due to the wonky eyes and hands, it's because there's no soul. And that's not an AI issue, it's a lack of deliberate intent, and you can't add that in without a ton of hard work.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

sigma 6 posted:

You don't hate the tool, you hate the user or the way it is implemented. People have been photobashing very well for years. Do some people hate photoshop? Probably. Most though recognize it as a powerful tool. Now that photoshop has AI in it, even more powerful. Is that a reason to hate a technological tool? Um... no.

Generative AI isn't the same as a regular tool though. Tools automate or assist a *process*. Generative AI utilises *output*. It relies on a human being having already done the work, then reuses and remixes it. And as a concept that isn't necessarily a problem, like in theory generative AI could be incredibly useful for spinning up quick concepts, producing variations on a theme, and all sorts of other useful starting points for someone to work from.

The problem is that right now it is all being plagiarised with absolutely no permissions being sought or recompense given to the people whose work made it into a viable product, and the only defense companies are coming out with is "but that would be really expensive!". And that there is the key - generative AI as it currently exists can only survive through outright theft. It literally isn't commercially viable or useful without it, if they had to actually seek out and compensate everyone whose work goes into the data set then it would be significantly cheaper and easier to just hire an artist or writer.

And there is no sign that this is going to change, probably not even in our lifetimes. AI is a nonsense fairytale that we haven't the faintest idea of how to actually make real. Computers are dumb machines that do exactly what they're programmed for. We've gotten pretty clever about finding ways to make them seem smarter than they are, but now that people are trying to apply them to artistic endeavours they're running into the issue that no amount of processing power will make them capable of doing what humans can do, because the underlying fundamentals of a computer is to robotically follow orders to the letter, they have no capacity to do otherwise, and we don't have the slightest idea how to make something that can actually learn in a way that mimics our own thought processes. And as such generative AI is basically toast as soon as the courts make a blanket ruling that they can't just steal anything they fancy, instead of people having to demand content removal individually.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Koramei posted:

Some of the most talented artists I know have leapt onto Midjourney for use as concept references, and sometimes a bit more than that when there's a time crunch.

Generally on the down low though since there's such a stigma around it. I do agree that the people championing AI art as and ends unto itself seem to be a different crowd though

The stigma of committing theft from fellow artists, and the fact that any AI portions left in the finished piece can't be copyrighted so their employers will go loving apeshit when they find out.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is that pure CG? If so then that is drat fine rendering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If I'm being really picky, the only thing that stood out to me is fairly obvious banding in the shadows where the white backdrop curves. Otherwise it's :kiss: