Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Alterian posted:

Most of my contract work outside of teaching is photogrammetry.

I wore my students that the days of getting entry level work where you're modeling chairs and tables is gone.

So what replaced it? I'm going to do a course in computer animation in a couple of months and I'd like to get a sense of what things are going to look like in a year or two, job wise. I'm sure I'll be able to find some kind of niche. Still working on improving my skills and figuring out exactly what area I want to focus on.

Anyway here's what I'm working on today:

Doing a few things here I haven't before - making hair with hair planes, painting skin tones, and just generally aiming higher than flat shaded low poly. I just threw a photo of some lips on there for now. No element of this is finished, I'll probably be tweaking and improving it for weeks because I think I'll use this as the character for a game I have in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I meant what has replaced simple modelling etc as entry level jobs in 3D, not what people do instead of that now.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i don't like updating blender because i lose track of which version has which addons enabled/installed, and which version i used for which file because sometimes the materials break between versions or it fucks up the editor and i need to waste time resetting it.

you're not really updating you're just downloading another instance of blender which is slightly different. i've got 3 on my laptop right now. maybe there's an updater tool.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i'm learning 3ds max for college and it's pretty weird coming from blender. modelling, which is supposedly the focus of this program, feels like it is very obfuscated behind many menus and obvious things like swift loop have to be customised into the context menu.

it feels sort of archaic really. maybe this UI makes sense once you master it but i don't know why the most important stuff is under layers of clicks. like you need to convert an object to an editable poly, then click on that modifier, then select vertices edges or faces (is there even a hotkey to switch?) when, in a modeling program, surely those should be 1 click away.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Is there any kind of file format or intermediary software that lets you exchange materials from from program to another? I know they all handle materials in different ways but the basics are the same, and it seems like I would be wasting time reassigning diffuse, normal and roughness maps when I move something from 3DS Max to a game engine or blender or whatever.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
do any of you sell things online, either asset stores or sketchfab/cgtrader etc?

i'll be doing a course for the next couple of years in 3D and i'm just wondering if that's something which would be worth my time thinking about.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'm using Max for coursework and I just sort of hate it. Everything smells old, the UI is impossible to parse without explicit instructions. Stuff I use every minute has to be setup in the UI or hunted down in some weird menu, while stuff I will never touch floods the screen at all times.

I wanted to clear some UV seams today in the UVW Unwrap modifier, which should really just be a right click and 'clear seam' but actually there are four buttons in a pop-up menu for it called stitch and none of them worked! Cool. The actual modelling interface is so clunky, too.

I'm just venting, I have to use this software for the course I'm doing when I'd rather be using Blender or learning Maya. It feels like a zombie software that's only around because older workers/educators don't want to switch to something new. I'm sure if you already know what all the icons mean and where everything is, it's very powerful, but it's horrible to learn.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 8, 2023

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'm having a tough time keeping motivation to learn and pursue 3D this week. I just got a little job and paid for doing something in 3D for the first time last week so you'd think I would be high on it, but I can't shake this feeling that the things I enjoy about the process are going to be completely gone by the time I finish my education, and it'll be something else entirely, and barely anybody will be hiring to do even that.

Like, I enjoy modelling and rigging and texturing and all of that, but it just seems naive to think these things won't be 90% automated and reduced to touch-ups. It seems like a lot of the time, the entire 3D pipeline will just end up being skipped to have a genAI just make some video of a thing. Not tomorrow, but maybe in 5 years. The kind of work a small time guy could actually get.

So I'm sitting here doing my projects for college and every time I stop working I think, well, this won't be useful to me in the future at all.

I really wish I'd gotten into this 10 years ago. If the AI thing wasn't such a looming threat in my mind, I'd have basically no questions about pursuing it because I've finally found something I'm good at and don't hate actually doing. But if it's not going to lead to actual employment, am I just wasting more of my time on another dead end? This was supposed to be the new direction.

I might feel better about things again in a few days, I've been completely up and down on it for basically a year, which is exhausting, but the realities don't make me feel better - and it isn't like I can pivot to some other medium again, because every single one of them has this problem.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Thanks for writing that up - it's encouraging to hear from someone in your position. I was thinking of emailing places near me I'd like to work to get a sense of how/if they are using AI, too.

I also read an article yesterday which calmed me down a bit about it: https://www.wheresyoured.at/bubble-trouble/

I've been back at work on things today, my mind feels a bit cleared up, and hearing things from people who know a lot more than me is good.