Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023
cubicle gangster I've been following your work for a while and as a games person I'm always impressed, VFX studios are absolute morons for not picking up your kind of skillset. If you consider games/virtual production I think you'd be able to make some pretty beautiful realtime environments/archviz in UE5 that might set you apart (but imo your portfolio is probably plenty good for virtual prod). Virtual production seems like it's receiving a lot of funding and there may be more opportunities out there for that. I went to school with an architecture major who did similar work to you working with hardass billionaires, and now he does matte painting (essentially enviro modelling/texturing + kitbash + photobash) and works on some pretty big budget movies. VFX companies are gonna be eating up realtime artists, if they aren't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023
Yeah there's some really crazy stuff you can do with effective use of "trim sheet" or "texture atlas" textures with really wonkily stretched and distorted UVs lol. They're typically vertical or horizontal repeating instead of all sides. A combination of tileable, trim, and unique textures is a pretty common workflow for efficient poo poo. It can also really speed up the low poly process since you're focused most of your time on the (fairly) few repeating high poly elements. I've sculpted trim sheets in ZBrush or modelled Sci-Fi ones in Maya before, you just straight up bake textures to a plane for a lot of details (this even works well for more handpainted/low poly environments). Here's a good writeup on 80lv that's cool:

https://80.lv/articles/001agt-chinese-ship-modeling-and-procedural-materials/

I really hope people still get taught these fundamentals and it's not just like "just throw some megascan bullshit in there, gently caress draw calls"... these techniques are all still very valid and great for almost every game engine and platform.

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023
Donut is the new fire hydrant.

I keep trying to get into Blender but despite mastering ZBrush/Max/Maya that's apparently not enough to get around it's clunky rear end UI/UX experience. Seriously this keyboard shortcut poo poo is worse than anything ZBrush did. You really gonna try to tie every functionality to the letter key it starts with in the English language? I don't wanna look at my fuckin keyboard for every function Blender, why can't you just be contextual and make logical sense based on what I click on? Just venting about my disdain for learning it, because it doesn't feel any more or less intuitive compared to when I tried it 8+ years ago.

I'd rather have Maya crash daily at least then I can keep my hand on the left side of my keyboard and not pay attention. Hell, even ZBrush maintains that mentality. For every good feature I see come out of Blender and it's community, there's 10 other things I have an issue with for a production workflow.

dopesilly fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 1, 2024

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023
I can completely hide Maya's UI and still use 95% of the tools with like 3-4 keys without moving my left hand (especially space bar) and I don't need to "Search" for functions by typing them out. It's like everything is 2-3 more clicks for me or 2-3 more keypresses than it needs to be for me in Blender. I will give Blender the upper hand on the functions being somewhat predictable and stable, but yeah the default hotkeys and default UX experience is still rear end imo. It's like the software never heard of contextual editing or something, so it just breaks a buncha poo poo into different tabs unnecessarily.

dopesilly fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 2, 2024