Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Alterian posted:

I come at 3d stuff from the game dev side so unwrapping is still important. Most of my work seems to be in the VR / web / mobileish space. I am in charge of the intro to 3d modeling course for games at my college and I recently did a giant revamp of the course. After the first 2 weeks of the course, unwrapping is the major point of the following 4 weeks of the class. They are still modeling during the time, but the major focus is understanding unwrapping from different approaches. Being forced to unwrap your models really helps show you where your meshflow sucks or is messy.

PS. Why does Unity have to be so stupid and arbitrary about draw calls? I am fighting it hardcore right now for this one project I am on.

I was also trained by ex games dudes in UK, moved back to my tiny country and did 3 years of outsource work for AAA games and now I have done work for local VR games for past 6 or so years.
I went from completely hating unwrapping and thinking "auto UV does it all anyway, why bother?" to "There are some really neat tricks and optimizations you can do but I only do it cause the company tells me to" to UV unwrapping being one of the things I enjoy the most.

I also joined my countries one of the few 3d art courses as a teacher and did that for 3 years after giving up on it cause it was just so bad and nobody but me gave a drat. Now my ex student is carrying on the torch and seems to be doing well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Koramei posted:

Anyone have tips to share / preferred tools / favorite tutorials for unwrapping?

I just use Blender with the UV Squares (for evenly aligning to a grid) and Texel Density (unifying sizes) addons. I can do better than the auto unwrappers I've used but I'd hardly call my skills boastworthy, but this is a topic that seems to come up in CG circles sometimes so I've always been kind of curious what noteworthily special UV unwrapping ends up looking like.

Good UV unwrap utilizes the absolute maximum of the space and has texel density adjusted to give slightly more texel density to areas that need it and give less to those that don't. When doing modular stuff or environment you also make entire UV atlasses and trim sheets where you may use one UV map for normal texture and another for albedo, met, rough info.
There's just a lot of tricks and optimizations you can do considering uv maps loop infinetly and you don't have to use square formats. They're all mostly to do with optimization and time saving tho.
http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Modular_environments
This has some info on it.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

dopesilly posted:

Donut is the new fire hydrant.

I keep trying to get into Blender but despite mastering ZBrush/Max/Maya that's apparently not enough to get around it's clunky rear end UI/UX experience. Seriously this keyboard shortcut poo poo is worse than anything ZBrush did. You really gonna try to tie every functionality to the letter key it starts with in the English language? I don't wanna look at my fuckin keyboard for every function Blender, why can't you just be contextual and make logical sense based on what I click on? Just venting about my disdain for learning it, because it doesn't feel any more or less intuitive compared to when I tried it 8+ years ago.

I'd rather have Maya crash daily at least then I can keep my hand on the left side of my keyboard and not pay attention. Hell, even ZBrush maintains that mentality. For every good feature I see come out of Blender and it's community, there's 10 other things I have an issue with for a production workflow.

Same sentiment from a proffessional who used Maya all their life.
All maya shortcuts I ever need are not even filling up my numpad sized macropad. Hell the rose menu is so goddamn innovative, comfortable, fast and easy to use that it should be standard in EVERY productivity program. I can do every single most used action without leaving my homerow and moving my cursor a few pixels in a direction.
I am still considering switching to blender over the next break since Maya just adds more disfunctional bloat and bugs every update rather than anything useful. How about you add smart selection or patterned selection, eg edgeloops that works even with tris, selecting every other face or whatever other pattern, etc. How about unwrapping that can understand I want all of these similiar drat uv islands stacked and all edgeuv's snapped together etc. Or anything from the most popular scripts?

I remember over a decade ago, rumors of combining Max and Maya into one, good suite without a downside.
Instead they took the photoshop route of asking exponentially more money for a less reliable, more confusing program.
Or maybe I still haven't forgiven autodesk for corrupting my magnum opus model that could've landed me a job at RSI.

haddedam fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 3, 2024

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Maya rose menu takes longer to learn but it gets you carpal tunnel way faster than any hotkey ever could.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Also almost all engines use qwerty row.
Blender is the only one behind the curve.