Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

here's some things I've worked on in the past. I graduated with a degree in Architecture back in may. Haven't gotten a job yet, though not from lack of trying. Thought I would post some work out of boredom. Feel free to let me know what you think.

Most of these were modled in Rhino and rendered with Vray. I need to work more on learning lighting. Pretty amateurish stuff compared to a lot of this thread, and a lot of it is photoshopped more than rendered.

Image from my thesis project.

Project in Cambridge on the Charles. Obviously a lot of photoshop work, much of wich needs to be cleaned up.

Still working on this one. Lighting is obviously way out of balance, and the photoshopped characters are awful. The model itself needs a lot of work as well.

One of the first 3d models I built for school. Modeled and rendered in FormZ (back when all us architecture guys thought FormZ was the next big thing). Very Basic but it gets across the point I was trying to make.

Another FormZ model.

Like I said, I'm still learning, and I'm working on figuring out how to light correctly in Vray. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, but I need to find some better resources that are written for a more basic level. Any Suggestions?

Biohazard fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

cubicle gangster posted:

Lots of helpful advice...

Thank for the advice and the links. I'll definitely look into that DVD. I totally agree on stylized stuff, which i will try and stay away from for now. Like I said, these were for architecture school, so they were always for presentations, and the focus was always on concept and not photorealism. But I'd like to get to some more realistic approaches of modeling/rendering and then see what I can do with a more stylized approach.

One question; Is it better to start learning lighting and texturing with interior or exterior renderings? I seems like the approaches to lighting are unique to each, but I figure there might be a consensus on where to start.

Biohazard fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 19, 2010

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Some stuff I've been working on. Feedback is welcome. I'm an unemployed architect, not really a viz guy, but I'm trying to improve my rendering abilities. Everything is modeled in rhino, rendered with vray. I'm doing all this on a 2 year old macbook pro, so there's a limit to what I can really do in a reasonable time-frame right now.

Biohazard fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 23, 2010

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Well, I've been doing job interview stuff lately, so I'm trying to go back and revisit some old projects real quickly in order to fill out the portfolio a little. Thanks though. Yeah the Old Macbooks are a pain, but it gets the job done for now. I was reading about AMD coming out with a $200 six-core processor today, maybe I'll be building myself a new little rendering tower on the cheap soon.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

I'm no 3d expert, but I work in architecture and had been teaching myself blender for shits and giggles, and then the opportunity came up to make something quick. They've been using sketchup for modeling stuff for their proposals so this should be better than anything they've had, even if it isn't what the pros in here can do. It's peaked my interest though. I still got a lot of learning I want to do, particularly on how to get more consistent results with UV unwrapping and materials. kinda BSed it for the most part.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Bring that exposure up!

looks nice otherwise though

Good advice! It's funny how important it is to have other people look at stuff after you've been staring at it for days at a time, you just miss really obvious stuff like that. Here's the updated "finals" i delivered. There's some pretty glaring things I wouldn't mind fixing, but I'm gonna call it quits on this one. Feedback is welcome though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

cubicle gangster posted:

I was meaning to give you feedback on this sooner, but I had my second pfizer shot late last week and was out of action for a few days! sorry that this is a bit late, but it should be pretty universal.

This was from a few years ago and then I failed to check back to the thread until now, but thanks for the awesome feedback back then! I should post some of the stuff I've been working on since then one of these days.