Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Have a copy of the solid object on another render layer and at the moment of impact swap its visibility for the shattering one? I don't know Max but that's how I would do something like that in blender.

Chance fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Wow just looked at that again after last night, silly mistake. Blender is a weird beast, kind of a pain to learn coming from other stuff, but on the flipside has a lot of free learning material out there. I don't know if I would necessarily choose it over another but it can be neat.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Warbird posted:

Does anyone have a resource for best practices for doing physics shenanigans in blender? I'm trying to replicate a gif I saw on reddit some time back of a pit of colored balls being stirred and naturally the ten thousand or so spheres I'm accounting for is a touch taxing on my system. Is there a smarter way to be doing this than having umpteen gajillion rigid-bodies going to town? My gut is saying that a particle system or potentially some fluid simulation might be a better way to go.

You are probably looking for this:
https://blender-addons.org/molecular-script-addon/

I haven't played with it since it was ported to 2.8, but it previously was pretty easy to setup rigid body particle systems that self collide using it.
That page has a link but this compilation video better shows what the addon can do (example ball stirring around 11 min mark):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-8bLbL3sXQ

Chance fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 31, 2019

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

For hard surface blender stuff check master xeon he went on to make the hardops plugin and had a lot of sculpt tutorials before.